Started by Tominator, May 01, 2014, 01:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Mac

Quote from: Ricochet on November 26, 2014, 04:51:48 PM
Quote from: jobe#4 on November 26, 2014, 04:44:57 PM
Quote from: Big  Mac on November 26, 2014, 04:41:46 PM
Quote from: _wato on November 26, 2014, 03:55:14 PM
Rico hits the nail right on the head.

Melbourne can just draft some elite midfielder in the next few years with a draft pick (lowish) but they won't get a tall in the vicinity of McCartin/Wright for years to come as there is a lack of talls.

Why wait for Dawes to reach his 30's before you find his successor when you can get a built brute of a player to take over when he reaches that age?

It's really really simple. Mid/FWD for me.

Which built brute do we take? Wright?
why not?

1. McCartin
2. Brayshaw
3. Wright
4. Petracca

I was referring to the fact that Wright is in no way a 'built brute' :)

Look, I know we can't survive with just Hogan up front but at the moment, we also have Dawes, Pedersen, Fitzpatrick and Gawn, as well as Howe and Watts who are capable of playing that 3rd tall role. That will easily last us the next few years until we need to find someone to complement Hogan. And I just really don't think that Wright is our guy. He's a risky pick and one that will take several years to develop.

I also think you guys are grossly overselling our midfield. There's a reason Melbourne finished 16th for contested possessions and last for clearances.

_wato

Yes Wright hasn't done as much core strength work as a lot of the other boys, but he's 203cm and can be absolutely anything.

Why will he take so long to develop? Few years in the gym and to understand the game a little more.. He is already a brilliant kick, great kick for goal, has great endurance and great agility for a big player - Once he throws his weight around he'll be so hard to stop.

I'm only grossly overselling it because it is so so young. Give it 5 years and it will be absolutely amazing. Too amazing I feel with all of those players, and their effect on the game will be greatly hampered with a lack of forward targets to kick too and an overall team which is unbalanced. Just my opinion.

jobe#4

Quote from: _wato on November 26, 2014, 05:09:30 PM
Quote from: jobe#4 on November 26, 2014, 05:06:42 PM
Melbourne and the saints will have plenty of opportunities in the near future for key position player at the top of the draft

According to draft experts man there isn't much talent coming through in the foreseeable future in terms of good KPF stocks, so it could be a few years before another good prospect turns up.
both teams could be in the bottom five for a long while as well though :p

Vinny

Tyson, Michie, Jones, Toumpas, Trengove, Viney, Aidan Riley and Salem.

Talking out older blokes and OOP from your list TBag, that's all that is left. Trengove probably won't play in 2015 and things aren't looking good for him. They clearly still need midfielders, Petrecca and Brayshaw would be awesome for Melbourne. Obviously they will need another good KPP but Petrecca has been the #1 pick for so long, on talent, letting him drop to 4 could be a massive mistake. As good as Wright is, I reckon they'll still be 1-2 KPPs at least for Melbourne to draft with their top picks in the coming years.

jobe#4

if need be they could trade for key position players

Ricochet

My argument (if they were to go down the fwd + mid path) would be that they can grab mids in the next few drafts. Lets be honest, they're going to have a top 5 pick in at least the next two years.

Early on Wright was considered #1 pick material. I can definitely see reasons for heading down that way

Ricochet

Roos just said on 3AW that Petracca won't get to Collingwood. Basically says they'll take him

Nige

Quote from: Ricochet on November 26, 2014, 06:17:47 PM
Roos just said on 3AW that Petracca won't get to Collingwood. Basically says they'll take him
That was never in doubt, if Melbourne passed on him, the Giants wouldn't think twice.

Ricochet

Yep, he just said they will take 2 of McCartin, Brayshaw or Petracca

Memphistopheles

Big Mac

Turning down Laverde for Ellis?

jobe#4

Nige

Bill Manspeaker

haha I'm sorry Nige, I really am but I hope Richmond pick Ellis :P

jobe#4