Main Menu

The 2014 U18/Draft Thread

Started by Tominator, May 01, 2014, 01:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobe#4

Quote from: Pkbaldy on November 26, 2014, 03:21:25 PM
Quote from: Nige on November 26, 2014, 03:08:17 PM
If I see another phantom draft with Corey Ellis, I'm going to lose my shower completely.

Knightmare has updated his phantom draft. And despite getting McCartin, I like it. some highlights;
#8 Gold Coast Liam Duggan
#12 Richmond Corey Ellis
#17 Essendon Lachlan Weller
hearing heaps about Weller and Essendon!

Ricochet

Quote from: Pkbaldy on November 26, 2014, 03:25:17 PM
Quote from: Ricochet on November 26, 2014, 03:23:37 PM
Quote from: tbagrocks on November 26, 2014, 03:05:37 PM
If the Saints do take the Key Forward,  I wonder if the Dee's will take the two top midfielders next given they hardly need two more guns, one will do, then pick a tall they need??   ???   Intriguing indeed!
Imagine if Melb were thinking the same as the Saints and identified that there aren't many great key fwds coming up in the next couple of drafts. And it went
1. McCartin
2. Brayshaw
3. Wright
4. Petracca

I mean Melb would have been set on McCartin for a while, have lost Clark and Frawley over the last few seasons, and Dawes is 27 next year.

Doubt it would happen, but there is an argument for it

If we don't get Petracca, I just don't want GWS getting him... They offered us pick 4 and 7 for pick 1 because they wanted Petracca so badly... SO that means they would get what they want and still have pick 7.
Was it Petracca? I thought it was because they wanted to secure McCartin after Boyd left?

Pkbaldy

Quote from: jobe#4 on November 26, 2014, 03:25:44 PM
If I see another phantom draft with Corey Ellis, I'm going to lose my shower completely.

Knightmare has updated his phantom draft. And despite getting McCartin, I like it. some highlights;
#12 Richmond Corey Ellis

Be a pretty huge slide. Up until 2-3 weeks ago he was a shoe in for pick 8 at the Gold Coast. And has been named in the top 10 nearly all year. So be interesting to see where he actually ends up.

Quote from: Ricochet on November 26, 2014, 03:26:48 PM
If the Saints do take the Key Forward,  I wonder if the Dee's will take the two top midfielders next given they hardly need two more guns, one will do, then pick a tall they need??   ???   Intriguing indeed!
Imagine if Melb were thinking the same as the Saints and identified that there aren't many great key fwds coming up in the next couple of drafts. And it went
1. McCartin
2. Brayshaw
3. Wright
4. Petracca

I mean Melb would have been set on McCartin for a while, have lost Clark and Frawley over the last few seasons, and Dawes is 27 next year.

If we don't get Petracca, I just don't want GWS getting him... They offered us pick 4 and 7 for pick 1 because they wanted Petracca so badly... SO that means they would get what they want and still have pick 7.
Was it Petracca? I thought it was because they wanted to secure McCartin after Boyd left?

Yeah it was Racca. Well from what I read anyway.

Big Mac

We will definitely take the two midfielders. Not sure if you've watched Melbourne play recently but 'guns' are hardly our strong point. We've got very good young talls already in Frost, McDonald and Hogan, so our midfield is definitely the one to focus on.

Pkbaldy

Found this on the Age website.

"GWS, which ended up with three selections inside the top 7 Nos 4, 6 and 7  as a result of trading Tom Boyd to the Bulldogs and Kristian Jaksch to Carlton was surprised that the Saints did not accept its offer of picks 4 and 7 for No. 1. The Giants were believed to be keen to draft powerful young midfielder/forward Christian Petracca at No. 1"

Ricochet

Quote from: Pkbaldy on November 26, 2014, 03:27:10 PM

#12 Richmond Corey Ellis

Be a pretty huge slide. Up until 2-3 weeks ago he was a shoe in for pick 8 at the Gold Coast. And has been named in the top 10 nearly all year. So be interesting to see where he actually ends up.

Quote from: Ricochet on November 26, 2014, 03:26:48 PM
1. McCartin
2. Brayshaw
3. Wright
4. Petracca

Yeah it was Racca. Well from what I read anyway.
Ah ok. It all changes pretty quickly hey

jobe#4

Quote from: Pkbaldy on November 26, 2014, 03:27:10 PM

#12 Richmond Corey Ellis

would be an absolute steal!

tbagrocks

Have Steele, Brayshaw/Petracca already, why load up on midfielders when you have the chance to take the best tall/utility ?

Vince, Tyson, Michie with already Jones, Toumpas, Trengove, Cross, Jetta, Kennedy-Harris, Viney, Aidan Riley and Salem

Not enough talent in there yet?

Pkbaldy

I'm just getting myself prepared to be disappointed. If Petracca gets named there will be so many relieved St Kilda Supporters on the FB page haha.

Quote from: tbagrocks on November 26, 2014, 03:38:40 PM
Have Steele, Brayshaw/Petracca already, why load up on midfielders when you have the chance to take the best tall/utility ?

Vince, Tyson, Michie with already Jones, Toumpas, Trengove, Cross, Jetta, Kennedy-Harris, Viney, Aidan Riley and Salem

But who wouldn't want a ready made Mid/Fwd? Toumpas, KH, Riley, Salem still have a few more years before their body is right. And as many people say, can't have enough good midfielders.

jobe#4

minus the guys traded/injured or delisted

tbagrocks

Quote from: Pkbaldy on November 26, 2014, 03:42:01 PM
I'm just getting myself prepared to be disappointed. If Petracca gets named there will be so many relieved St Kilda Supporters on the FB page haha.

But who wouldn't want a ready made Mid/Fwd? Toumpas, KH, Riley, Salem still have a few more years before their body is right. And as many people say, can't have enough good midfielders.
Who are these "Many" people? I and many others believe getting in good forwards is better than this midfield strategy

The Swans, Power and Hawks seems to agree no?

Pkbaldy

Quote from: tbagrocks on November 26, 2014, 03:44:20 PM
Quote from: Pkbaldy on November 26, 2014, 03:42:01 PM

Who are these "Many" people? I and many others believe getting in good forwards is better than this midfield strategy

The Swans, Power and Hawks seems to agree no?

We had this conversation last night Tbag. Ended with you getting frustrated and going to sleep.

If you listened to Trade Talk radio every recruiter/manager that had on had something to say about getting/stacking good midfielders. Because for the fact if they're good enough you can use them on the back flanks and the forward flanks.

Ricochet

The lack of key fwds in the upcoming drafts may change that view slightly

jobe#4

Quote from: Ricochet on November 26, 2014, 03:50:41 PM
true

Pkbaldy

Quote from: Ricochet on November 26, 2014, 03:50:41 PM

I say this is what it's coming too Rico.
Just sorta showerty on the fact that the Saints said " We will be getting the best player in the draft regardless of position."
Then go ahead and pick someone based on position. If they weren't set on Petracca, they just shouldn't of said anything.