Main Menu

The 2014 U18/Draft Thread

Started by Tominator, May 01, 2014, 01:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricochet

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-19/runs-on-the-board

Runs on the board: gun cricketer nominates for the draft

HE CAPTAINED the under-19 Australian cricket team, bats left-handed in the top order and makes plenty of runs.

But after playing a season of local level football, Gisborne's Pat McKenna has nominated for the NAB AFL Draft and is on the radar of a handful of clubs.

Only in September did the 18-year-old lead his country on a cricket tour to Sri Lanka, but it was there that McKenna decided he wanted to pursue a football career.

That was after an impressive season for Gisborne in the Bendigo Football League, where he kicked 45 goals for the senior side in 18 games.

McKenna isn't especially quick, but at 186cm and 76kg has played a number of different roles through the season, where his game sense, overhead marking and foot skills impressed.

Greater Western Sydney, Hawthorn, Collingwood and Fremantle are believed to be among the clubs who have enquired about McKenna, potentially as a late pick at next week's draft or at next month's rookie draft.

Toga

Wasn't all that long ago I had high hopes that he would last until Pick #12 for the Tiges :(

Pkbaldy

Quote from: Tominator on November 19, 2014, 09:25:26 AM
Quote from: Pkbaldy on November 19, 2014, 08:39:58 AM
Quote from: Nige on November 19, 2014, 08:36:00 AM
Quote from: SydneyRox on November 19, 2014, 01:49:19 AM
Hey Tom, interested to know in an open draft where would you have Heeney and Moore?
I think both would be top 5 with Petracca, Brayshaw and McCartin

That would be correct! Then Laverde.

In an open draft based purely on power rankings, and not factoring in clubs' needs...

=1. Petracca
=1. Heeney
3. Brayshaw
4. McCartin
5. Moore
6. Laverde (only just behind Moore)
7. Lever
8. Pickett

Then it gets just too hard to split from there! But no I cannot split Heeney and Petracca. Heeney has all the tools to be an elite player, just needs to break into that Swans midfield (easier said than done!)

Lever is super hard to rate. Missing so much. I actually rate Langford and Duggan as a top 10. Really even draft this year. Love it.

Big Mac

Really wish we got to see Lever in the midfield this year

Pkbaldy

Quote from: Big  Mac on November 19, 2014, 11:51:37 AM

Still think he is a sneaky chance for pick 3?

Big Mac

Quote from: Pkbaldy on November 19, 2014, 11:53:12 AM
Quote from: Big  Mac on November 19, 2014, 11:51:37 AM

Still think he is a sneaky chance for pick 3?

He'd definitely be on the shortlist

Memphistopheles

Here's my top 21 (first round) at this stage and I've added some notes below for you.

• Christian Petracca (Saints)
  • Angus Brayshaw (Demons)
  • Patrick McCartin (Demons)
  • Jayden Laverde (Giants)
  • Jordan De Goey (Magpies)
  • Peter Wright (Giants)
  • Jarrod Pickett (Giants)
  • Liam Duggan (Suns)
  • Darcy Moore (Magpies)
  • Jake Lever (Cats)
  • Nakia Cockatoo (Eagles)
  • Lachie Weller (Tigers)
  • Hugh Goddard (Dockers)
  • Sam Durdin (Crows)
  • Kyle Langford (Suns
  • Jarrod Garlett (Kangaroos)
  • Paul Ahern (Bombers)
  • Isaac Heeney (Swans)
  • Corey Ellis (Blues)
  • Tom Lamb (Bombers)
  • Caleb Marchbank (Saints)

Notes

• Pick 4 is the one that will shape the draft.
  • This could be a little controversial with Lever slipping so far but I have a feeling that this is the reason the Cats traded up the order to get Pick 10. Tom Lonergan, Jared Rivers, Harry Taylor, Andrew Mackie, Corey Enright and James Kelly are getting on a bit and he'd be the perfect replacement for ones of them. They also have a history of taking players coming off a serious injury (Lang last year). It all depends on if he slips to them but I think if he gets past GWS then he will slide as Gold Coast seems to be looking at a midfielder.
  • I've got the Giants taking Laverde to keep him out of the Pies clutches and then Pickett as he adds something they don't have that much in speed and Wright because of his uniqueness and the reasons I posted earlier in this thread.
  • I think the Dockers take Goddard over Durdin because he seems less likely to fall prey to the go home factor imo. Maybe it's a stretch for them here but as someone formerly talked about as a #1 pick (last year) I don't think so.
  • The Eagles pick will also shape the draft a bit. They've been linked to Weller, Ahern, Duggan and Cockatoo. I've got Duggan going earlier to Gold Coast then I think if the Eagles do go for Cockatoo then the Tigers snap up Weller. If the Eagles pick Weller then I think Cockatoo slips to the Roos and the Tigers look at Ahern or Ellis which will change the later picks
  • The Kangaroos seem like they are after a pacey player so Garlett fits the bill here if Cockatoo isn't available
  • Caleb Marchbank slips a bit but the Saints will be delighted to snap him up given they need kpp players and should take Petracca first. I think they will also lump for McKenzie at 22 as well. Getting Marchbank and McKenzie will be a real coup for them.

Hellopplz

Demon's bid #2 pick for Heeney so he'd certainly be going top 3 in an open draft!

Btw Tomi, great write ups! If you want could start a thread for them, so have it all in one place rather than scattered throughout a few pages here. Let me know if you would like it then can split the current posts into a new one :).

Mr.Craig

Nige

Memphistopheles

Quote from: Nige on November 19, 2014, 01:37:09 PM
Quote from: Mr.Craig on November 19, 2014, 01:28:29 PM
Hey Memph, add your Round 1 prediction and locks into the draft comp thread please. :)

http://forum.fanfooty.com.au/index.php/topic,98988.0.html
Timely reminder for me to do mine.

Done. Cheers for pointing it out - didn't know it was there before :)

Tominator

Quote from: Hellopplz on November 19, 2014, 01:15:26 PM
Btw Tomi, great write ups! If you want could start a thread for them, so have it all in one place rather than scattered throughout a few pages here. Let me know if you would like it then can split the current posts into a new one :).

Good idea! This thread can be left for draft night discussion etc.

How would that work though? As a mod would you take just my write-ups, or the responses from other users too?

With that in mind I will hold off posting any more write-ups for now.

Hellopplz

Sorry guys but shipped Tomi's phantom draft another place, reckon it deserves its own thread ;).

Took responses as well as they were about your phantom draft selections!

Nige

Nige