Main Menu

The 2014 U18/Draft Thread

Started by Tominator, May 01, 2014, 01:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bully

Quote from: Nige on November 04, 2014, 01:18:26 PM
Very few reasons not to like or pick him - Liam Duggan

Ran a 3.20sec/20 metre sprint and finished in the bottom 10% for agility, these are my main concerns. No doubt he will play 100+ games but the midfield may be further away than some are predicting.

Bill Manspeaker

Quote from: Bully on November 04, 2014, 01:55:18 PM

Ran a 3.20sec/20 metre sprint and finished in the bottom 10% for agility, these are my main concerns. No doubt he will play 100+ games but the midfield may be further away than some are predicting.
he just reminds me of Cotchin. I could be way off and not sure if its because he wears #9 (or did for metro at least) but I reckon he moves just like him

Nige

Quote from: brad on November 04, 2014, 02:15:26 PM

he just reminds me of Cotchin. I could be way off and not sure if its because he wears #9 (or did for metro at least) but I reckon he moves just like him
There's a bit of Cotch about him, in the looks too.

But yeah, Bully's points are good ones.

Big Mac

Just curious - where did you get this?

Bully

Quote from: Big  Mac on November 04, 2014, 04:12:35 PM

Just curious - where did you get this?

Have a contact who is a recruiter, can post most information but I have been asked to keep interview details confidential. 

For the record, Duggan finished top 25% for the running vertical and can jump well off either leg. His repeat sprints were mid range, and his endurance is above average.

Bully

Just a minor adjustment, for Duggan, times were

5mtr 1.14   14%   
10 mtr 1.86    16%   
20mtr 3.10   18%   
Agility 8.98   5%

These are very similar to Ben Lennon last year, although Lennon ran a 3.19. This is my concern, Ben was also running through the midfield in the TAC but seems a long way off at AFL level. Duggan will be a great pick-up for someone but may need several years in the system to earn his midfield stripes.

Nige

meow meow

Quote from: Bully on November 05, 2014, 12:54:35 PM

5mtr 1.14   14%   
10 mtr 1.86    16%   
20mtr 3.10   18%   
Agility 8.98   5%

These are very similar to Ben Lennon last year, although Lennon ran a 3.19. This is my concern, Ben was also running through the midfield in the TAC but seems a long way off at AFL level. Duggan will be a great pick-up for someone but may need several years in the system to earn his midfield stripes.

All this shower is overrated. How quick is Jobe? Sam Mitchell? Bartel? Pendles? Gibbs, Hodge?

Too many athletes, not enough footballers. Unless you play on the wing, body work and reading of the play is way more important than straight-line speed.

Bully

Quote from: meow meow on November 05, 2014, 02:28:53 PM
Quote from: Bully on November 05, 2014, 12:54:35 PM

5mtr 1.14   14%   
10 mtr 1.86    16%   
20mtr 3.10   18%   
Agility 8.98   5%

All this shower is overrated. How quick is Jobe? Sam Mitchell? Bartel? Pendles? Gibbs, Hodge?

Too many athletes, not enough footballers. Unless you play on the wing, body work and reading of the play is way more important than straight-line speed.

It's not the be all end all but the first three steps are critical, if not then agility becomes essential. Duggan also needs to work on his endurance so he may not be a walk up start for the midfield.

Toga

I think there's a lot of draftees that aren't walk up starts for the midfield.

I was stoked with the Tigers getting Lennon last year, but never thought he would be looking at a spot in the midfield this year. Was always going to start off the half forward line, or maybe with some stints off of half back.

These boys that don't have the ready made bodies of your Oli Wines, Luke Dunstan types are usually going to need a bit of development before they're going to be able to step into the mids.

Nige

Ready to be drafted, just a matter of where he sits in the top 25 - Connor Blakely

Ricochet

They certainly got the 'Plays Like'  right with Connor. He's Mundy 2.0 all over

Pkbaldy

Quote from: Ricochet on November 06, 2014, 10:09:14 AM

Oh I thought he was going to become Sandialnds 2.0

kilbluff1985

yeah doubt he will make it past pick 22 Saints will take him if still there

Ricochet

Quote from: Pkbaldy on November 06, 2014, 10:16:51 AM
Quote from: Ricochet on November 06, 2014, 10:09:14 AM