Main Menu

The 2014 U18/Draft Thread

Started by Tominator, May 01, 2014, 01:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Samsturmfels

Just realised Tom Langdon has a brother.
Get him to the Pies

Tominator

Quote from: Samsturmfels on October 04, 2014, 04:14:57 PM
Just realised Tom Langdon has a brother.
Get him to the Pies

and a ripper kid too. Not sure about his footballing abilities, but he's quite an athlete. He ran a 15.3 beep and a sub 3-second 20m. Also got 6th (I think?) in the Repeat Sprints - rare mix of speed and endurance.

Could go anywhere from 3rd Round onwards, but no certainty to get picked up

Pkbaldy

Quote from: Tominator on October 04, 2014, 03:45:56 PM
if Gore played in Victoria he'd be a Top 20 selection. I've played with him before and let me tell you, from first-hand experience, he is a brute of a lad. Played against Alex Neal-Bullen too and he is an outstanding player. Both are worthy of Top 20 selections.

I rate those two at least on par with Jordan de Goey, and definitely above Connor Blakely, who have been touted as Top 10 picks..

FWIW I'll do an analysis of some of the SA boys in the coming weeks. Got Year 12 exams coming up but I enjoy doing this so I'll squeeze in the time when I can!

Did you do one last year? Would love to see what you thought of Dunstan before he was drafted :P

Nails

Quote from: Pkbaldy on October 04, 2014, 06:31:20 PM
if Gore played in Victoria he'd be a Top 20 selection. I've played with him before and let me tell you, from first-hand experience, he is a brute of a lad. Played against Alex Neal-Bullen too and he is an outstanding player. Both are worthy of Top 20 selections.

I rate those two at least on par with Jordan de Goey, and definitely above Connor Blakely, who have been touted as Top 10 picks..

FWIW I'll do an analysis of some of the SA boys in the coming weeks. Got Year 12 exams coming up but I enjoy doing this so I'll squeeze in the time when I can!

Did you do one last year? Would love to see what you thought of Dunstan before he was drafted :P

He did, he predicted Dunstan 74.8 average in his debut season, so not a bad effort.

Pkbaldy

Quote from: Nails on October 04, 2014, 06:32:40 PM
Quote from: Pkbaldy on October 04, 2014, 06:31:20 PM

He did, he predicted Dunstan 74.8 average in his debut season, so not a bad effort.

Very good effort. Wouldn't mind Gore or Neal-Bullen going at 21 for the Saints. But I got a feeling if McKenzie is still there at 21 we will pick him up...

Bully

Clem Smith ran a horrible beep test so I'm predicting a significant slide. Garlett isn't as quick as I anticipated, as a result I reckon Menadue is a much better option. Marc Pittonet simply won't cut the mustard at AFL level, no athletic qualities unfortunately. Both Bampton & Weller didn't show up, I'm actually wondering if GC are doing their best to hide Weller from prying eyes, I smell a rat.

Big Mac

Quote from: Bully on October 04, 2014, 07:52:07 PM
Clem Smith ran a horrible beep test so I'm predicting a significant slide. Garlett isn't as quick as I anticipated, as a result I reckon Menadue is a much better option. Marc Pittonet simply won't cut the mustard at AFL level, no athletic qualities unfortunately. Both Bampton & Weller didn't show up, I'm actually wondering if GC are doing their best to hide Weller from prying eyes, I smell a rat.

What did Smith run?

Pkbaldy

Quote from: Big  Mac on October 04, 2014, 08:01:27 PM
Quote from: Bully on October 04, 2014, 07:52:07 PM

What did Smith run?

Hellopplz

Quote from: _wato on October 02, 2014, 09:44:05 PM
Nathan Drummond killing it.. Equal 2nd in the vertical jump, 5th in the running vertical jump, equal 8th in the 20 metre results, and 2nd in the repeat sprint results.. Averaged 25 touches, 7 tackles, 6 marks, 1 goal in the TAC cup and killed it at the National champs before being sidelined with injury - could be a smokie for a early second round pick/late first round pick anyone?

Local lad so intrigued to see how he goes and applies himself.

I've had my eye on him as certainly can rack it up at TAC level and doing fairly well in the combine so far. Can see him slipping to a 2nd round pick although wouldn't be surprised if he goes first round because of his consistent ability to get the ball during the season. Really looking at him myself for some of the XV systems we have going on here!

_wato

Quote from: Hellopplz on October 04, 2014, 11:53:03 PM
I've had my eye on him as certainly can rack it up at TAC level and doing fairly well in the combine so far. Can see him slipping to a 2nd round pick although wouldn't be surprised if he goes first round because of his consistent ability to get the ball during the season. Really looking at him myself for some of the XV systems we have going on here!

Was captain of Murray Bushrangers too and took out their B&F the other night which adds to his resume. You're exactly right HP, and with his third and fourth day results, his stock would've risen even higher.. Equal first in the clean hands test, Equal 3rd in the kicking test, and 2nd in the goal kicking.. Have heard some bad rumours about him being a butcher but if he was, why did he finish third and second in the kicking and goal kicking awards.. Unless the statisticians of the TAC cup aren't very good! I wonder how his running capabilities were though?? Don't think it'd matter as his running can be improved over time if it wasn't in the top echelon

Mailman the 2nd

Recruiters usually say the least important test are the goal kicking/clean hands tests

_wato

Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on October 05, 2014, 12:53:54 AM
Recruiters usually say the least important test are the goal kicking/clean hands tests

I agree too with that, because it gives players the opportunity without any pressure to hit a target not in motion and gather a footy which has either been rolled or tumbled at your feet.. Never ever going to get in that situation with no pressure/moving targets around you and no identified pressure on the ball carrier.
It's quite an inconceivable test if you think about it - Largely thanks to Buckley and Lloyd's amazing intuition, we now currently have these tests in use.

Hellopplz

It's good to find out who has a good kick/hands, but as you guys said, no pressure = they have it a bit easier than in-game situations.

Didn't even know he took out the Bushrangers B&F! Good on him and will likely help his cause. Didn't watch too much TAC this year so only have stats to go off for the most part, so if he butchers the ball, guess can understand why he isn't talked about that highly as a first round selection.

Mr.Craig

Quote from: _wato on October 05, 2014, 12:37:25 AM
Unless the statisticians of the TAC cup aren't very good!

Champion Data? No, I think they go alright. ;)

I would give those combine tests a little more credence if they weren't such ridiculous sample sizes. 5 kicks for the goalkicking, six kicks for the kicking and six handballs for the clean hands? I guess it's meant to put them under mental stress that if they miss one target they might be effecting their chances of getting drafted. I'd like to see them have at least 20 of each.

Anyway, good luck to Drummond. He's worked hard after having a tough 2013.

nrich102

Hopefully Drummond slips to the 2nd round and goes to an average team/team where he will get games. Would be a good dt pick!