Main Menu

The 2014 U18/Draft Thread

Started by Tominator, May 01, 2014, 01:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Craig

Quote from: Big  Mac on September 18, 2014, 10:27:44 PM
Where do you guys think Touk would rank if he was 185cm?

About 8cm higher.

Seriously though, I think mid to late 2nd round is about right for him regardless of height.

elephants

Get the feeling people are giving us Pickett because its the easy option haha

_wato

Quote from: Spite on September 18, 2014, 08:42:13 PM
Quote from: Tominator on September 18, 2014, 07:26:54 PM
Quote from: Spite on September 18, 2014, 05:52:16 PM
Anyone think if Pies land Clark that we may skip on Darcy Moore? Starting to creep into my thoughts...

Think Collingwood are almost certain to take Moore with their first-rounder. He's been rated as high as a Top 4 pick by some phantom drafts. Have a look at this hanger he took in the TAC Cup last weekend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivahdNhKDQA

Yeah I've seen it man, unbelievable!
I'm just worried about the fact we haven't said we'd take him, especially eddies reluctance to say we would when asked on dermie and ed or whatever footy show they were on. I hope we take him!

We'll take him for sure, will be a great player in a few years - Think Eddie may be playing it down as much as possible in the slight circumstance we could pick him up as a second rounder which I think is completely not going to happen, but you never know.

Mitch Clark as stated is a short term solution and Jessie White is nowhere near a #1 or #2 forward, let alone #3 or #4 tier big man.

Mr.Craig

Quote from: elephants on September 18, 2014, 11:45:44 PM
Get the feeling people are giving us Pickett because its the easy option haha

Non Vic teams are hard to predict, so I guess all the pundits just pick the same kid so they don't look as silly if they're wrong.

nrich102

If we take Hammelmann through the academy, I don't think we will take Wright first round,. We don really need that many key forwards if you know what I mean.

Big Mac

Quote from: Mr.Craig on September 18, 2014, 11:18:09 PM

About 8cm higher.

Seriously though, I think mid to late 2nd round is about right for him regardless of height.

Fair enough. I just keep hearing people talk about him as if his height is a major drawback

Pkbaldy

Quote from: Big  Mac on September 19, 2014, 08:15:54 AM

About 8cm higher.

Fair enough. I just keep hearing people talk about him as if his height is a major drawback

Doesn't seem to to worry Boomer, Kayne Turner or Jake Neade at all. I think he is a great player. Love the Saints to have him. Hope they pick him as their second pick.

Nige

Quote from: Pkbaldy on September 19, 2014, 11:09:30 AM

About 8cm higher.

Doesn't seem to to worry Boomer, Kayne Turner or Jake Neade at all. I think he is a great player. Love the Saints to have him. Hope they pick him as their second pick.
I reckon you could get him with your third rounder tbh.

Pkbaldy

Quote from: Nige on September 19, 2014, 12:59:30 PM

About 8cm higher.

Hmmm dunno. Depends what we are going to do about our fullforward problem... I really don't know about McCartin... I think i'd almost prefer us to get a tall further down the line. Or better, get one from another club that has been playing for a while. I'd love to have Ballard and Miller in our team though, would be awesome to have them 2 of top of Petracca haha

Nige

Quote from: Pkbaldy on September 19, 2014, 01:09:42 PM

About 8cm higher.

Hmmm dunno. Depends what we are going to do about our fullforward problem... I really don't know about McCartin... I think i'd almost prefer us to get a tall further down the line. Or better, get one from another club that has been playing for a while. I'd love to have Ballard and Miller in our team though, would be awesome to have them 2 of top of Petracca haha
I still think your best bet is to take Petracca with your first and McKenzie with your second.

Pkbaldy

Quote from: Nige on September 19, 2014, 01:15:45 PM
Quote from: Pkbaldy on September 19, 2014, 01:09:42 PM

About 8cm higher.

I still think your best bet is to take Petracca with your first and McKenzie with your second.

Seems the most practical. But I see a few Phantom Drafts picking McKenzie before our 2nd pick. So might not even get him. Any handy talls that won't fit in the 2nd round? People have been saying Goddard might slide. But I don't want another one here... Still heart broken from the first one.

Tominator

Bloody hope a bloke by the name of Caleb Daniel gets drafted. Not many outside of SA would have heard of him, but hoping the Crows could get him

He's only 168cm - definitely a worry - but if he was 15cm taller he'd be a Top 10 pick for sure. Despite his height, he is fearless, and has played in higher grades all his life. I remember playing against him at club level in U11s. He got BOG against us, then played for the U14s straight after. Got BOG that game too

He's a regular contributor at SANFL level for South Adelaide and has SANFL finals experience. In 3 games for SA at the NAB U18s, including the two televised ones, he averaged five tackles, two goals and 24 disposals at 91% efficiency!! He's at elite levels in the 3km Time Trial, the beep test, and runs a sub-3-second 20m sprint. Athletically and skilfully, he's the all-round package. Height is the only knock on him, but it might be enough for clubs to draw a line through his name. He hasn't been invited to the National Draft Combine

Huge risk-reward prospect, but just because there's a player that hasn't been picked at his height before doesn't been that there can't be one in the future. Definitely deserves a chance, and could be a steal if a club can find an appropriate role for him

Nige

I really like him, but his height's a huge problem and might be the reason he's overlooked entirely.  :(

Big Mac

I like him too - but when Roos was asked about him he had no idea who he was. Then when he was told he was 168cm, apparently he just laughed

Bill Manspeaker

Lewy Taylor was pretty short too  :P