Main Menu

The 2014 U18/Draft Thread

Started by Tominator, May 01, 2014, 01:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pkbaldy

Quote from: Toga on September 15, 2014, 10:29:46 PM
Who do you see the Saints taking this year mate? A tall like McCartin or is Petracca just too good to pass up?

Wait until the end of the trade period and i'll tell you. Because they've already stated that the number 1 pick is on the table. Because they want another 3 first round draft picks like last year. But they stated if they don't end up trading it. Then they will take the best player in the Draft. Which from what i've seen its Petracca by a mile. He is a champion in the making. I know this is a big call but I see a bit of Judd in him.

Toga

Yeah seems to me he'll be the best available, he just seems like the complete package. Explosive out of the packs, good overhead, wins his own ball but can get it on the outside, and can kick goals.. Any team would be rapt to recruit him.

Pkbaldy

Quote from: Toga on September 15, 2014, 10:55:51 PM
Yeah seems to me he'll be the best available, he just seems like the complete package. Explosive out of the packs, good overhead, wins his own ball but can get it on the outside, and can kick goals.. Any team would be rapt to recruit him.

That's why I hope we get no offers for the #1 pick to anyone... But that means we will end up getting our three first round draft picks through trading players... And I've got NO idea who we would be able to trade for a 1st rounder... Only one I can think of would be Dempster... And if we trade him, i'd probably smack Pelchen in the face myself.

Nige

It's shaping as likely that the Dees will almost certainly take Brayshaw, the Giants might pass up another tall (McCartin) which means Brisbane could grab him.  :o

Pkbaldy

Quote from: Nige on September 15, 2014, 11:05:14 PM
It's shaping as likely that the Dees will almost certainly take Brayshaw, the Giants might pass up another tall (McCartin) which means Brisbane could grab him.  :o

Probably the best choice for you guys. Who else could you see the Lions grabbing? Could try for a key defender too? Like Lever or Durdin?

Toga

Brisbane could grab Petracca or McCartin do you mean Nige?

I couldn't see Petracca sliding past St Kilda, Melbourne (x2 if they get their Frawley compo) and the Giants tbh

Nige

Quote from: Toga on September 15, 2014, 11:08:37 PM

I couldn't see Petracca sliding past St Kilda, Melbourne (x2 if they get their Frawley compo) and the Giants tbh
Oh yeah, that wasn't exactly clear. My bad.  :P

I meant Petracca should get picked up the by the Saints, Brayshaw by the Dees, not sure who will go at three (regardless of who has the pick) but I reckon McCartin might get to Brisbane's pick. I'm fairly certain that if he's there come their pick, they'll grab him as he's exactly what they need.

Also thinking Carlton should grab a KPP (Durdin maybe), but probably won't.

Pkbaldy

Quote from: Nige on September 15, 2014, 11:16:24 PM

I meant Petracca should get picked up the by the Saints, Brayshaw by the Dees, not sure who will go at three (regardless of who has the pick) but I reckon McCartin might get to Brisbane's pick. I'm fairly certain that if he's there come their pick, they'll grab him as he's exactly what they need.

I keep getting excited about the Saints midfield when I think of Petracca in this side... Hickey/Longer Rucking with Steven, Dunstan and Petracca. My god that is going to be an amazing midfield. Once we get someone like Petracca we only have a defender that can handle a 2nd tall and a powerful full forward and probably center-half forward and we will be set to play finals

Tominator

Petracca has been described as a once-in-a-generation player by many talent scouts.

There are question marks over McCartin, Durdin, Goddard and Wright, four of the players having previously been touted as a potential number one pick.

• In Hugh Goddard's case, having previously been seen as a Top 3 lock, he could slip as far as Pick 18 on the back of an inconsistent season. Can play back and forward but hasn't really got going at Melbourne Grammar or in the TAC Cup, though his last month has been very promising apparently.
  • There are doubts over Patrick McCartin's endurance and ability to handle the modern game, given his old-fashioned playing methods. He's big and powerful, but is he worth the risk when there may still be key forwards available in the 2nd round?
  • Peter Wright is only marginally quicker than Ben "Truck" Rutten - not exactly ideal for a big key forward.
  • Sam Durdin is a swingman who hasn't got going this season but has been dominating for West Adelaide U18s in the Maccas Cup finals. Can play forward, back or ruck, but could drop as far as Pick 10.

The thing which makes Petracca stand out is his consistency to continually put out those high performances - he can regularly get 30 touches and kick 4 goals in the same game. He's hardly put a foot wrong over the last two seasons and is worthy of the #1 mantle come November. He's also ready-made and can slot straight into a side for Round 1 in 2015. The other four blokes need work and games in the 2s under their belt before they are ready to make the step up.

It's hard to say that Petracca "plays like" Pendlebury or Dustin Martin, etc, because there hasn't really been a player like him come through before. In my opinion, Saints should pass on him at their peril.

Mr.Craig

Quote from: Tominator on September 16, 2014, 12:28:08 AM
Petracca has been described as a once-in-a-generation player by many talent scouts.

I really hope they haven't been saying that because it's hyperbolic beyond belief.

He's a bloody good Under 18 player and at the moment that's all he is.

Big Mac

Yeh I'm with you Craig. Too many times over the years a single player has been touted for greatness, and is unable to fulfill the expectations because they are so high. Scully and Trengove were supposed to turn our club around but they've both gone backwards and one isn't even at the club. Don't put all your eggs in the one basket (I.e. Petracca).

Ringo

Quote from: Pkbaldy on September 15, 2014, 11:23:33 PM
Quote from: Nige on September 15, 2014, 11:16:24 PM

I keep getting excited about the Saints midfield when I think of Petracca in this side... Hickey/Longer Rucking with Steven, Dunstan and Petracca. My god that is going to be an amazing midfield. Once we get someone like Petracca we only have a defender that can handle a 2nd tall and a powerful full forward and probably center-half forward and we will be set to play finals
Do not be surprised if Brisbane trade their pick 4 as well.  Like Saints will wait till after trade period to see where all falls.  If we still have pick 4 I would expect to take McCartin or Durdin if still available. Can not see us grabbing Petracca given the depth and age of our mid field at the moment.  We need a tall forward and McCartin fills the bill.

JBs-Hawks

You won't get the chance to even consider Petracca ;)

Nige

Goddard won't feature inside the top 18 I don't think, had an ordinary year after all the hype around him.

I think Durdin's versatility (forward, back or ruck) should help his case.

McCartin should go top 5, I'd be very surprised if he didn't.

Wright's somewhat of an uncertainty, but I think he'll be worth the wait for which clubs takes him.

Nails