Main Menu

The 2014 U18/Draft Thread

Started by Tominator, May 01, 2014, 01:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nige

Quote from: Tominator on September 12, 2014, 06:33:03 PM
My oh my would I love to get Jayden Laverde at the Crows but I don't think he'll get to Pick 9. Paul Ahern is a gun but I haven't seen enough of him to decide whether he is better than Laverde or not. Same with Weller

TAC Cup is into the preliminiary finals this weekend

11:30am - VISY Park - Dandenong Stingrays v Calder Cannons
2:15pm - VISY Park - Sandringham Dragons v Oakleigh Chargers

Both should be ripping matches, with the Grand Final to be played at Etihad Stadium next week. TBH I really wish FOX Footy would televise these games a bit more, especially when the TAC finals aren't clashing with AFL finals either!
Laverde probably is the best of the three. I reckon Ahern and Weller are pretty equal though. Maybe my Vic bias ranks Ahern ahead, but Lachie is better than his brother.

Mr.Craig

I think the Hawks will go for Jackson Nelson ahead of Corey Ellis if available.

Pkbaldy

Im sorry but that is a god awful Phantom Draft...

Ringo

I agree PK can not even see Saints passing on McCartin with first pick - Obvious replacement for NRoo.  Happy if he lasts but can not see it.

Pkbaldy

Quote from: Ringo on September 13, 2014, 08:58:18 AM
I agree PK can not even see Saints passing on McCartin with first pick - Obvious replacement for NRoo.  Happy if he lasts but can not see it.

I can see us getting Petracca or McCartin. As our recruiter has already stated he will be taking the 'best' player in the draft regardless of position.
And i reckon if Saad is still available at the 3rd round we will jump onto him.

I still think the Saints are going to make a bid at a key forward that wants to return to Melbourne this year. 2-3 years in with a little experience. Easier for NRoo to teach. And we still probably need to get another key defender. We would be stuffed if Delaney got injured...

BoredSaint

As a saints fan I would actually rather us getting a Midfielder with pick 1 and trying to secure a trade for those GWS boys who want to come back to Melbourne

Nige

Paige noted that the Saints would take the best available (probably Petracca) and then look at McKenzie with their second rounder who is a KPP, probably a smart move.

Pkbaldy

Quote from: NigeyS on September 13, 2014, 01:31:45 PM
Paige noted that the Saints would take the best available (probably Petracca) and then look at McKenzie with their second rounder who is a KPP, probably a smart move.

I hope this isn't the case... I would love to get Petracca. But I'd like us to get a forward who is already in the system. NRoo has 2 years left. Not nearly enough time to fully teach a new kid how to play such an important role. But if we get someone who has been playing for 2-3 years already. That's 5 years experience when Nroo retires. Which is when we should be starting to hit the 8 again.

Quote from: BoredSaint on September 13, 2014, 01:13:39 PM
As a saints fan I would actually rather us getting a Midfielder with pick 1 and trying to secure a trade for those GWS boys who want to come back to Melbourne

I'd love a big body midfielder who has a bit of speed (Dunstan lacks this), imagine this as our midfield. Tom Hickey, Jack Steven, Luke Dunstan and Christian Petracca. Be amazing . I hope we score a big bodied FF soon... Stanley isn't our man... Neither is Tom Lee.... Hope we go for Kristian Jaksch. He might be the right replacement.

BoredSaint

I mean like considering history of previous drafts, there havent really been that many KPP picked early that have developed well. And i'm excluding ruckman.

2007: Alex Rance at pick 18 probably the best KPP. Henderson has been solid but not amazing and Robbie Tarrant is no good
2008: Jack Watts at pick 1 has been dismal for a number 1 pick. Hurley has been solid at 5 but not crazy good
2009: Talia at pick 13 the best. John Butcher pick 8 not that great
2010: Lynch at pick 12 the best. Sam Day at pick 3 solid not amazing
2011: Patton at pick 1 has been unlucky

What I'm trying to say is that there havent been many really solid KPP picked early since Riewoldt, and McCartin isn't exactly lighting the world on fire in the U18 Championships.

Mr.Craig

Darcy Moore in the TAC today...

Tominator

Oakleigh Chargers into the TAC Cup Grand Final after thrashing Sandringham Dragons by 74 points.

They'll take on the Calder Cannons, who beat Dandenong Stingrays by 53 points. The two best sides into the GF, which is probably a fair reflection of the season. Didn't see these huge thrashings coming though

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the GF is at Etihad on Sunday isn't it?

Nige

Quote from: Tominator on September 15, 2014, 11:10:40 AM
Oakleigh Chargers into the TAC Cup Grand Final after thrashing Sandringham Dragons by 74 points.

They'll take on the Calder Cannons, who beat Dandenong Stingrays by 53 points. The two best sides into the GF, which is probably a fair reflection of the season. Didn't see these huge thrashings coming though

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the GF is at Etihad on Sunday isn't it?
Yeah, I'm fairly sure it's at Etihad like the VFL grand final (think it's before it iirc).

Nige

The TAC Cup Future Stars have announed their Top 20 Phantom Draft.

20. GWS - Corey Ellis
19. Essendon - Clem Smith
18. Sydney - Isaac Heeney
17. Hawthorn - Tom Lamb
16. Port Adelaide - Hugh Goddard
15. North Melbourne - Ed Vickers-Willis
14. Gold Coast - Lachie Weller
13. Geelong - Caleb Marchbank
12. Fremantle - Kyle Langford
11. Richmond - Liam Duggan
10. West Coast - Jarrod Pickett
9. Adelaide - Sam Durdin
8. Collingwood - Darcy Moore
7. Gold Coast - Paul Ahern
6. Carlton - Jayden Laverde
5. Western Bulldogs - Jake Lever
4. Brisbane Lions - Patrick McCartin
3. GWS - Peter Wright
2. Melbourne - Angus Brayshaw
1. St Kilda - Christian Petracca

Tominator

Quote from: Nige on September 15, 2014, 02:30:52 PM
The TAC Cup Future Stars have announed their Top 20 Phantom Draft.

20. GWS - Corey Ellis
19. Essendon - Clem Smith
18. Sydney - Isaac Heeney
17. Hawthorn - Tom Lamb
16. Port Adelaide - Hugh Goddard
15. North Melbourne - Ed Vickers-Willis
14. Gold Coast - Lachie Weller
13. Geelong - Caleb Marchbank
12. Fremantle - Kyle Langford
11. Richmond - Liam Duggan
10. West Coast - Jarrod Pickett
9. Adelaide - Sam Durdin
8. Collingwood - Darcy Moore
7. Gold Coast - Paul Ahern
6. Carlton - Jayden Laverde
5. Western Bulldogs - Jake Lever
4. Brisbane Lions - Patrick McCartin
3. GWS - Peter Wright
2. Melbourne - Angus Brayshaw
1. St Kilda - Christian Petracca

Definitely a few blokes from SA or even WA who could be in there ahead of some of those blokes. Neal-Bullen, Gore, Blakely, etc... but not surprised that it's VIC-biased

Mr.Craig

I really like Langford but 12 seems a bit high for me.