Main Menu

The 2014 U18/Draft Thread

Started by Tominator, May 01, 2014, 01:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vinny

kilbluff1985

Nige

If these people can't do a quick search using Google I don't think we should be giving names.  :P

kilbluff1985

Quote from: NigeyS on August 23, 2014, 01:34:19 PM
If these people can't do a quick search using Google I don't think we should be giving names.  :P

if i had a remote chance to get him in BXV i wouldn't but i don't so meh

Tominator

Quote from: Nails on August 23, 2014, 12:59:45 PM
are there many mids who should turn into fantasy sluts?

Isaac Heeney has all the makings of a DT star but it's unlikely he'll be a regular player in 2015 given the Swans' current midfield depth. Definitely a Top 5 pick on talent but his allegiance to the Swans academy means he'll slip to their first pick so they've got a bargain.

Petracca is the other one I can see being a DT star, but will he be worth the inflated price tag that comes with a top pick? Time will tell. There'll definitely be others though. Angus Brayshaw will be a popular pick-up; Liam Duggan or Harrison Wigg could be good as running defenders; Paul Ahern and Corey Ellis could be smokies; and a few South Aussie midfielders in Peter Bampton, Dean Gore and Alex Neal-Bullen may prove handy depending what clubs they land at.

Mailman the 2nd

Yeah really depends on what clubs they go to for mine. Can make the difference between a 50 avg player and a 75+

Nails

Not really asking about in regards to AF/SC

Asking for XVs purposes.

JBs-Hawks

Heeney is your man for pick 2 nails.

Nails

Quote from: JBs-Hawks on August 24, 2014, 10:47:09 PM

I'm potentially looking at having 4 top 10 picks in 1 comp... just got to decide if the kids I get can actually be any good...

Nige

SydneyRox

Quote from: Nails on August 24, 2014, 11:01:14 PM
Quote from: JBs-Hawks on August 24, 2014, 10:47:09 PM

I'm potentially looking at having 4 top 10 picks in 1 comp... just got to decide if the kids I get can actually be any good...

its the same problem I am coming to grips with Nails.

I want to take Heeney but like most of the touted guns the Swans pick up there is limited opportunities.

Tominator

In a year where the draft standout has not been as clear cut as past seasons (Boyd, Whitfield, Patton were all widely-touted #1 picks by April) this season has shown that Isaac Heeney and Christian Petracca are probably the two best youngsters in the draft, and both are going to be elite players in the future.

Petracca is a manchild and just has so much power and strength. Can play forward or midfield, and dominate in either position. If St Kilda with Pick 1 opt for the "best player available" policy, they'll take Petracca, but personally I think they'll go for Peter Wright or (more likely) Paddy McCartin as the much-needed successor to Nick Riewoldt.

Heeney is going to be an absolute jet, and nobody will be getting their hands on him bar Sydney. Whether he plays inside or outside, he can tear a game apart. He's the complete package - fitness, endurance, speed, skills and ferocious tackling. Sydney will be getting an absolute bargain, picking him up at the end of the first round as an Academy selection. It's like going to buy a BMW and driving off in a Ferrari

Mr.Craig

Nige

Good to see that Paige thinks my three favourites in Laverde, Ahern and Weller could go to the Suns, Tiges and Suns again respectively. Wouldn't be too upset with that at all.  8)

I really like Ahern, he pretty much is what we need and since it sounds like we won't get Laverde considering how much Gold Coast like him, I'm starting to feel the same way about Ahern as I was with Lennon.  ;D

Tominator

My oh my would I love to get Jayden Laverde at the Crows but I don't think he'll get to Pick 9. Paul Ahern is a gun but I haven't seen enough of him to decide whether he is better than Laverde or not. Same with Weller

TAC Cup is into the preliminiary finals this weekend

11:30am - VISY Park - Dandenong Stingrays v Calder Cannons
2:15pm - VISY Park - Sandringham Dragons v Oakleigh Chargers

Both should be ripping matches, with the Grand Final to be played at Etihad Stadium next week. TBH I really wish FOX Footy would televise these games a bit more, especially when the TAC finals aren't clashing with AFL finals either!