Main Menu

The 2014 U18/Draft Thread

Started by Tominator, May 01, 2014, 01:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tominator

Just wondering, is there already a draft thread or draft section to the forum?

I'm in Year 12 - hence why I've been so inactive as of recent months - so I'm not going to be able to do a Phantom Draft like I did a couple of years back, but maybe a thread where FF members can post information about potential draftees and what they know, throughout the year as opposed to the month before the draft?

Would be interesting to see whether there are members who've played against guys who are eligible to get drafted this year! I know there is a Drafts section on the BigFooty forum, so maybe a Draft-related thread on FF (granted, a smaller site) would be a good idea?

There are several Facebook pages - e.g. "2014 AFL Draft Prospects" - dedicated to junior players, which have thousands of likes, so the interest is there

I know many members have an interest in the draft, what are your thoughts?

To see my Phantom Draft, go to here - http://forum.fanfooty.com.au/index.php/topic,99493.html

ADEZ

Nice idea...
Was disappointed to read this:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-05-01/territory-draft-prospect-out-for-the-year
Hopefully he still gets drafted this year, some serious talent

Nige

Yeah, good idea Tom! The only thread similar to this is probably Craig's Rookie Thread but that doesn't really get used much outside of the off-season.

This is good though, I think we should use it.

I just saw the article about Nakia, hope he still gets drafted, he's a gem.

I've said this before but the brother of a mate I went to high school with - Alex Urban is a freak and I'm fairly certain he'll get picked up in the first round (or early second round) this year. #nodder

Tominator

Quote from: NigeyS on May 01, 2014, 02:43:32 PM
Yeah, good idea Tom! The only thread similar to this is probably Craig's Rookie Thread but that doesn't really get used much outside of the off-season.

I've said this before but the brother of a mate I went to high school with - Alex Urban is a freak and I'm fairly certain he'll get picked up in the first round (or early second round) this year. #nodder

Yeah Cockatoo's a member of the AIS-AFL Academy that just got back from Europe; would've been one of the Territory's best for sure.

Heard a bit about Urban as well, some saying maybe 30-40 but could easily go higher. From the Oakleigh Chargers isn't he?

Nige

Quote from: Tominator on May 01, 2014, 02:46:51 PM

Yeah Cockatoo's a member of the AIS-AFL Academy that just got back from Europe; would've been one of the Territory's best for sure.

Heard a bit about Urban as well, some saying maybe 30-40 but could easily go higher. From the Oakleigh Chargers isn't he?
Yep, Oakleigh Chargers. #gun

GoLions

Apparently I used to play at the same footy club as him a number of years back. He was the grade below me 8)

Tominator

the Under 18 carnival kicks off this coming weekend. Different set of fixtures which see each of the four Division 1 sides - SA, WA, Vic Metro and Vic Country - play each other twice (once home, once away)

Looking like a hotly-contested Div 1, WA will probably start the favourites but all four sides are very strong, so I reckon it'll go down to the wire

More action which is great for recruiters and fans of the U18 format, but surely FoxFooty could televise the replays of these games? I know they will most likely do the last two, but they could probably sacrifice a few of their many AFL replays and show these.

More Information: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-03-17/new-u18-champs-format

Thoughts on the new set-up?

Mr.Craig

I was compiling some stats here but I've been slack in the last few weeks.

kilbluff1985

Quote from: Mr.Craig on May 11, 2014, 10:53:09 PM
but I've been slack in the last few weeks.

:'(

very interested in them for XV Comps mate as i'm sure many are

Noz

Plenty of good KPPs this year in Durdin, Wright, McCartin and Goddard as the top tiers then guys like Moore and Lever are both very good.

I feel Peter Wright will become the best player out of this draft he is a monster of a kid and could snatch the number 1 pick depending on who finishes last.

Right now my top 5 would be

1. Peter Wright
2. Hugh Goddard
3. Angus Brayshaw
4. Sam Durdin
5. Patrick McCartin

Mr.Craig

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on May 11, 2014, 11:27:25 PM

I'll try to get to them today or Wednesday. Give me a reminder if I don't.

kilbluff1985

Quote from: Mr.Craig on May 12, 2014, 02:17:58 AM
Quote from: kilbluff1985 on May 11, 2014, 11:27:25 PM

I'll try to get to them today or Wednesday. Give me a reminder if I don't.

will do mate cheers

Nige

Yeah, I think it could actually depend on who has the No.1 pick.

Peter Wright looks very good though. No locks at this stage yet such is the evenness of the group. 

Ringo

Just a thought on the new Setup.

May be a little biased with Division 2 though as to while certain players may impress in this competition I am sure recruiters would also like to see them tested against the talent in division one. maybe rather than the AFL Acadamy match a match against a combined Division 1 side may aid the recruiters to gauge a player. Hope this makes sense. Know they say will get a little more TAC time as well.

Tominator

Quote from: Ringo on May 12, 2014, 10:00:47 AM
Just a thought on the new Setup.

May be a little biased with Division 2 though as to while certain players may impress in this competition I am sure recruiters would also like to see them tested against the talent in division one. maybe rather than the AFL Acadamy match a match against a combined Division 1 side may aid the recruiters to gauge a player. Hope this makes sense. Know they say will get a little more TAC time as well.

Interesting that there are a couple of gems to come from Division 2 this year, both of whom are AIS-AFL Academy members

Isaac Heeney from the Sydney Swans academy will play for NSW and is by far their best player. Tough inside midfielder, he's a typical Swans player (think Luke Parker, Dan Hannebery, Jude Bolton, etc). Not sure if Swans get priority access to him or not

Lachie Weller is from Queensland and has already played in the NEAFL for the Gold Coast Suns reserves in 2013. Younger brother of ex-Sun, now-Saint, Maverick Weller, he's a similar height and size to Heeney but probably a more accomplished player. Very very classy. Also I don't think the Suns don't get priority access, but I could be wrong

I rate Weller higher than Heeney but both are Top 20 prospects, Weller probably Top 10. Two names to watch out for.