Main Menu

The 2014 U18/Draft Thread

Started by Tominator, May 01, 2014, 01:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_wato

Whoops, yeah forgot it was Sydney..

Heeney will still get games, he's a gun. Will be super cheap compared to the top picks too.

Sapientia

Quote from: _wato on July 18, 2014, 12:30:44 AM

Heeney will still get games, he's a gun. Will be super cheap compared to the top picks too.

Disagree. There are 5-6 players who should be getting games in that midfield that aren't. Heeney will have to earn his way in. Anyway he's not an immediate type prospect; in fact I think he'll be a slower developer than most midfielders - his movement is very laconic which normally indicates a player will take awhile to get adjusted to the pace. Just needs to work on his natural intensity. It's all about Mills next year, already better than Heeney and a year younger.

Peter Bampton, Connor Blakely and Dean Gore should all go between picks 15-30 and all will provide immediate impact. Alec Waterman should go pick 28 with father son and is already 89 kilos and only 183cm, has the body. Angus Brayshaw will be a higher pick but is a *sneaky* chance at gaining defender eligibility and would be a lock as he's ready made. In defence I wouldn't be surprised to see Clem Smith play games early while forward Aidan Anderson might break in early though I wouldn't expect more than 40-50 ppg from either.

Going a little outside the top prospects Josh McGuinness is an overager who mops up down back a bit like Kolodjashnij did as a junior. If drafted could provide immediate impact. Jack Steele is a 19 year old GWS academy selection who will be picked up. Mopped up a solid 40 disposals in the NEAFL the other week to go with 30 odd the week before. High mark/disposal game, will score well and get games.

The one bloke I'd 100% recommend is Josh Glenn. He's a 20 year old SANFL player who's declined to enter the draft for the last two years feeling he wasn't ready. He's without a doubt the best player not currently playing AFL with his work off half back impeccable. He's nominating this year and I expect him to average 80-85 in season 1 as a defender. Fantasy gold.

I've done up a mock draft with profiles if anyone wanted to see it, btw. Let me know and I'll post it :)

elephants

Quote from: Sapientia on July 24, 2014, 06:33:36 AM
I've done up a mock draft with profiles if anyone wanted to see it, btw. Let me know and I'll post it :)

Yeah sounds sick man!

SydneyRox

Quote from: Honey Badger on July 17, 2014, 10:45:49 PM
Quote from: _wato on July 17, 2014, 10:05:19 PM
Isaac Heeney would have to be one of the biggest locks in fantasty football next year.. Petracca would also be one of the first picked although his price is hefty.
Disagree regarding Heeney. How often do you see Swans playing first year players from the get go? Answer is never.

When they deserve it they get games. How many young kids have we played this year. The last guy to be talked up as much as Heeney and get drafted played early too, Hanners. Tom Mitchell would have most likely played more in his first year except for injury.

Ricochet

Just caught up, great read so far.

The strength of WA's group has been disappointing this year but hopefully a few mature ager's pop up from the WAFL

Jroo

Disagree. There are 5-6 players who should be getting games in that midfield that aren't. Heeney will have to earn his way in. Anyway he's not an immediate type prospect; in fact I think he'll be a slower developer than most midfielders - his movement is very laconic which normally indicates a player will take awhile to get adjusted to the pace. Just needs to work on his natural intensity. It's all about Mills next year, already better than Heeney and a year younger.

Peter Bampton, Connor Blakely and Dean Gore should all go between picks 15-30 and all will provide immediate impact. Alec Waterman should go pick 28 with father son and is already 89 kilos and only 183cm, has the body. Angus Brayshaw will be a higher pick but is a *sneaky* chance at gaining defender eligibility and would be a lock as he's ready made. In defence I wouldn't be surprised to see Clem Smith play games early while forward Aidan Anderson might break in early though I wouldn't expect more than 40-50 ppg from either.

Going a little outside the top prospects Josh McGuinness is an overager who mops up down back a bit like Kolodjashnij did as a junior. If drafted could provide immediate impact. Jack Steele is a 19 year old GWS academy selection who will be picked up. Mopped up a solid 40 disposals in the NEAFL the other week to go with 30 odd the week before. High mark/disposal game, will score well and get games.

The one bloke I'd 100% recommend is Josh Glenn. He's a 20 year old SANFL player who's declined to enter the draft for the last two years feeling he wasn't ready. He's without a doubt the best player not currently playing AFL with his work off half back impeccable. He's nominating this year and I expect him to average 80-85 in season 1 as a defender. Fantasy gold.

I agree about Heeney. Lots of Swans that'd be ahead of him.
I saw your mock draft on BigFooty, brilliant stuff, I enjoyed reading through it,

SydneyRox

If you guys can read where the swans will play their young guys you are doing better than me!

Guys like Biggs, Robinson, Perris should naturally be in front of Heeney next year since they have been in the system.

But seriously I never thought Jack, Richards or Biggs would have played last year either!! Lloyd has done well this year as well.

Mailman the 2nd

Mills will be in the exact same position as Heeney though. There are always at least 2-3 first year players in the round 1 team for Sydney so I can't see why Heeney won't be lining up

Nige

Quote from: elephants on July 24, 2014, 10:26:12 AM

Yeah sounds sick man!
Yeah mate, go ahead and post it. I'd be keen to have a read.

Do agree on the Josh Glenn bit, seen a little bit of footage and read about him. He'll be a great pick up for any club imo.

Sapientia

Quote from: JROO8 on July 24, 2014, 12:15:36 PM

I saw your mock draft on BigFooty, brilliant stuff, I enjoyed reading through it,

How do you know who I am lol, go by different names on here and there!

I've got another 13 profiles done so I'll post my stuff up here when I finish the third round which should be within the next 24-48 hours :)

Quote from: SydneyRox on July 24, 2014, 12:30:21 PM
If you guys can read where the swans will play their young guys you are doing better than me!

Guys like Biggs, Robinson, Perris should naturally be in front of Heeney next year since they have been in the system.

But seriously I never thought Jack, Richards or Biggs would have played last year either!! Lloyd has done well this year as well.

Yeah it's a strange one. Swans have so much depth coming through who are 'at or around' the level but just not quite there yet - Lloyd being one. I'm not sold on Jack yet, not sure he's got much to offer at the level though, I'd probably rate him 30-35th on their list.

Outside their current 22 I reckon Membrey, Mitchell, Nankervis, Biggs, O'Keefe, Robinson, Marsh, Naismith and Lockyer would definitely be AFL players at other clubs and I fully expect Hewett, Aliir, Dick and Johnson to be at that level next year. Perris is still awhile away and will likely miss a bit of next year too given he's done an ACL.

Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on July 24, 2014, 09:54:36 PM
Mills will be in the exact same position as Heeney though. There are always at least 2-3 first year players in the round 1 team for Sydney so I can't see why Heeney won't be lining up

Sydney generally play players on merit. They're one of few genuine meritocratic teams left in the AFL. They're likely to play a 5.5/10 22 year old over a 5/10 18 year old. If they don't deem Heeney to be part of the best 22 players that fit their structure next year, he won't play until he is - irrelevant of potential. They're definitely partial to giving kids some time in the magoos to work on their game as opposed to blooding them early. Heeney right now isn't a better player than the aforementioned reserve guns - Biggs, Robinson, Mitchell etc. - in fact he's statistically much worse at NEAFL level. He'll definitely develop but I'm not sure he'll get to their level within 6 months from now. Mills is already at the same level as Heeney despite being 18 months away from AFL level. I'm pretty sure he'll enter the AFL system a better and more complete player than Heeney and I do think that extra ability will see him as a best 22 player earlier on. Or at least a higher performing player earlier on.

Jroo

Quote from: Sapientia on July 28, 2014, 08:19:08 PM
Quote from: JROO8 on July 24, 2014, 12:15:36 PM

How do you know who I am lol, go by different names on here and there!

I've got another 13 profiles done so I'll post my stuff up here when I finish the third round which should be within the next 24-48 hours :)
Haha, nah I'm not a stalker, I remember when you posted on this forum about the Footy Fanatic ratings and then found the same thing on BigFooty and assumed you were the same person  :P
Looking forward to it :)

Big Mac

Sounds good Sap can't wait to read it

Mr.Craig

Some of the eye catching performances from the last 2 rounds...

Round 14

Christian Petracca - 32 disposals, 10 marks, 5 goals (145 DT)
Rowan Marshall - 18 disposals, 6 marks, 5 tackles, 52 hitouts (137 DT)
Oscar McDonald - 21 disposals, 13 marks, 1 goal (108 DT)
Thomas Lamb - 33 disposals, 8 marks, 2 tackles (122 DT)
Billy Evans - 31 disposals, 7 marks, 5 tackles (117 DT)
Patrick McCartin - 17 disposals, 10 marks, 6 goals (128 DT)
Peter Wright - 13 disposals, 7 marks, 4 goals, 20 hitouts (107 DT)
Brayden Maynard - 20 disposals, 5 marks, 8 tackles (106 DT)
Angus Brayshaw - 25 disposals, 8 marks, 4 tackles, 2 goals (110 DT)
William Fordham - 25 disposals, 14 marks, 3 tackles (127 DT)
Nicholas Mellington - 32 disposals, 5 marks, 1 goal (110 DT)
Liam Duggan - 19 disposals, 4 marks, 3 tackles, 2 goals (85 DT)
Liam Hunt - 26 disposals, 7 marks, 6 tackles 1 goal (119 DT)
Alex Urban - 27 disposals, 4 marks, 3 tackles, 1 goal (104 DT)
Kade Answerth - 20 disposals, 10 marks, 8 tackles, 1 goal (119 DT)

Round 15

Jack Sinclair - 23 disposals, 12 marks, 5 tackles, 2 goals (131 DT)
Liam Duggan - 24 disposals, 6 marks, 4 tackles, 3 goals (114 DT)
Jackson Nelson - 34 disposals, 5 marks, 10 tackles, 1 goal (141 DT)
Christian Petracca - 24 disposals, 3 goals (88 DT)
Caleb Hislop - 31 disposals, 6 marks, 4 tackles (111 DT)
Tim Jones - 43 disposals, 5 marks, 7 tackles (151 DT)
Josh Dunkley - 26 disposals, 6 marks, 4 tackles, 4 goals (127 DT)
Liam Hunt - 27 disposals, 4 marks, 5 tackles, 2 goals (115 DT)
Zach Ballard - 20 disposals, 17 tackles (123 DT)
Matthew Hammelmann - 15 disposals, 10 marks, 5 goals (107 DT)

Vinny

So I have not kept up with the draft at all this year, could someone please throw me a couple names the Blues will look at and are likely to pick up? I assume we will have Pick 5-7.

Thanks. ;)

JBs-Hawks

One of the talls id imagine, Goddard, Durdin