Main Menu

The 2014 U18/Draft Thread

Started by Tominator, May 01, 2014, 01:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nige

Quote from: Toga on July 29, 2014, 05:59:17 PM
I would like Richmond to pick up Brayshaw, Laverde or Weller with our first I think... Would like to see us draft a bit more class for the midfield
Brayshaw won't make it I don't think. I'd like Weller over Laverde.

Vinny

Thanks JB and MC.

Yeah I reckon the club will go for a medium or tall forward but I wouldn't mind another midfielder that could kick goals and get a forward some other way. We'll see!

Sapientia

Quote from: NigeyS on July 29, 2014, 04:56:49 PM
Great read Sap.

Hadn't really considered any of those boys for our picks.

I like Laverde, but I really want us to grab Pickett. Although there's a number of guys I wouldn't mind us grabbing.

I reckon we have enough mid/half-back types. I think we need a small forward, tall-ish forward and a young ruck.

Dimma seems to want players who run both ways, often favouring defensive running to offensive running.

Pickett doesn't defend. He doesn't tackle. He shakes his opponent's hand at the start of a game and then never sees him again. He also shows no interest in trying to defend.

I wouldn't be considering him until the early-mid second round. One way downhill skiers are not elite prospects. You're dodging a bullet if you miss him.

Laverde might be a mid/half back type but he's also equally effective forward. He's not like the Ellis/Vlastuins who bring a harder edge - the difference between he and them is like saying 'we shouldn't bring in Robbie Gray because we already have Cyril and Eddie Betts' - Laverde brings pace, run, agility, skills and x-factor. He's a more disciplined, two way and taller version of Pickett who's excellent 1 on 1.

kilbluff1985

i don't really think Essendon need another forward or a tall i can see us just taking the best talent available

unless Fantasia develops into one for us we could use a very quick small forward

elephants

Haha wow, don't like Pickett do you? :P pretty much the first person I've seen knocking him so its interesting.

Amazing write up maaaate!

Toga

Yeah I'm not sure why but I'm just struggling to get excited about Pickett... Think we really need another Deledio-type player that will be able to replicate what he can do without a tag - that is a reasonably quick outside runner with good skills. Laverde fits the bill :)

Sapientia

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on July 29, 2014, 07:56:51 PM
i don't really think Essendon need another forward or a tall i can see us just taking the best talent available

unless Fantasia develops into one for us we could use a very quick small forward

Who's going to be the #2 guy to Daniher long term?

kilbluff1985

Quote from: Sapientia on July 30, 2014, 05:45:11 AM
Quote from: kilbluff1985 on July 29, 2014, 07:56:51 PM

Who's going to be the #2 guy to Daniher long term?

Buckets and/or Belly/Ryder whoever is resting forward and we got Ambrose developing

Nige

Quote from: Toga on July 29, 2014, 09:21:54 PM
Yeah I'm not sure why but I'm just struggling to get excited about Pickett... Think we really need another Deledio-type player that will be able to replicate what he can do without a tag - that is a reasonably quick outside runner with good skills. Laverde fits the bill :)
Reading more about Laverde and seeing some footage, I'm warming to him.  ;D

Ringo

Forgot to add earlier Very nice write ups Sapientia Well done and will be useful for next years rookies.

Also think Ubergang may get taken a little earlier if he shows something at the combine.

Tominator

wow awesome effort Sapentia! A lot of interesting stats there that I didn't know about some of those players

Jayden Laverde looks a ripper. Would love the Crows to grab him with our first-rounder but don't think he'll drop that far

Mr.Craig

WAFL Stand-outs

Alec Waterman-Claremont
Waterman was super impressive with 30 disposals and 50s in Claremont's win over East remantle.

Zachary Dent-East Perth
Dent was very good but couldn't get his side over the line in a game which they drew with West Perth. Dent had 29 disposals, 7 inside 50's and laid 3 tackles.

Albert Dean-Swan Districts
Dean had a blinder of a game where he had a whopping 39 disposals and 7 tackles in Swan's win over Perth.

Timothy Edwards-Subiaco
Edward's was superb in Subiaco's win over South Fremantle. He had 30 disposals and delivered the ball inside 50 on 9 occasions.

Sapientia

Waterman played colts though, right?

Would really like to see him play ressies/league to see how he holds up at the standard.

Ringo

If anyone wants to check NEAFL stats for players here is the link that takes you to each game.

http://www.neafl.com.au/index.php?id=83

Ricochet

Quote from: Mr.Craig on August 01, 2014, 12:55:03 AM
Albert Dean-Swan Districts
Dean had a blinder of a game where he had a whopping 39 disposals and 7 tackles in Swan's win over Perth.
Absolute gun but I think he's far too small for and AFL club to take a punt on him