Is Travis Cloke the biggest potato in the AFL?

Started by Vinny, April 27, 2014, 10:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nige

Quote from: Vinny on May 25, 2014, 10:57:48 AM
Haha probably.

Fevola > Cloke?
If you don't include Fev's time at the Lions, maybe.

Kellogscrunchynut

Vinny

Well in his year at the Lions. He kicked 48 goals.

Fev smashes Cloke in goals kicked and accuracy.

Fev has kicked something like 1.5 times more goals than behinds whilst Cloke pretty much breaks even.

Kellogscrunchynut

Not to mention he smashes Cloke in Brownlow form  ;).

Nige

Quote from: Vinny on May 25, 2014, 11:05:20 AM

Fev has kicked something like 1.5 times more goals than behinds whilst Cloke pretty much breaks even.
To be fair to Cloke, you can't just pick and choose who you compare him to though.

Vinny

Quote from: NigeyS on May 25, 2014, 11:08:56 AM

To be fair to Cloke, you can't just pick and choose who you compare him to though.
Well dude, key forwards. Goals and behinds. What do you want me to compare instead?

Hahaha exactly KGC

Nige

Quote from: Vinny on May 25, 2014, 11:11:28 AM
Quote from: NigeyS on May 25, 2014, 11:08:56 AM

Well dude, key forwards. Goals and behinds. What do you want me to compare instead?
I'm not saying compare other stats Vin.

There are key forwards out there now and in years past who are significant better or worse than Trav.

If you're trying to argue he's the worst key forward of all time, that's just silly and you know it.

Vinny

I'm not saying he is the worst of all time at all, I'm not that crazy.

Just reckon he is overrated big time for what he is producing and what he has produced. He is playing like a rookie and is the highest paid in the club.

People are just going to keep saying, this is the week he is going to go bang. We are 10 weeks in and he has done flower all.

Agree or disagree?

Nige

Quote from: Vinny on May 25, 2014, 11:20:56 AM
I'm not saying he is the worst of all time at all, I'm not that crazy.

Just reckon he is overrated big time for what he is producing and what he has produced. He is playing like a rookie and is the highest paid in the club.

People are just going to keep saying, this is the week he is going to go bang. We are 10 weeks in and he has done flower all.

Agree or disagree?
I agree and disagree.

As stated above, he's not overrated. He's been elite in years prior to this. Imo, anyone who is/has been elite can't be labelled overrated. Especially if it was kept up for a number of years, not just one. He's underperforming this year though, he's been considerably worse than he has been, but it's quite clearly a confidence issue (and maybe an injury that's being kept quiet) that's ravaged his form and hence his output this year has been extremely disappointing for all parties involved.

Dropping him probably won't solve the issue and he's one of the best players on his day, but he's not a Tyrone Vickery.

The bottom line is there's a difference between being overrated and underperforming, at least I believe so... not sure whether delusion agrees.

Vinny

I don't know man. If he comes out and kills it next year, I'll put it down to a bad year and accept that but not the way he is going. He has to show something soon, it's becoming ridiculous.

Murphy was elite for five years straight, has one below par year and he is apparently overrated. But not even Murphy was this bad last year, I know they are in different positions and this requires different demands but for what he is paid, he has been flowering terrible. He is costing Collingwood and if he can't fix this in the back half of the year, something is seriously wrong.

No gun player plays like this for this long. Every keeps saying that on his good day he is crazy, they can't just wait for a good day. Okay say he is not overrated and he is just under-performing, this is a pretty high level of underperforming.

kilbluff1985

i don't like comparing forwards that played in different times it's much harder for full forwards these days

elephants

ossie85

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on May 25, 2014, 12:15:51 PM
i don't like comparing forwards that played in different times it's much harder for full forwards these days

agree. Plus Fev and Cloke played diff positions

Toga

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on May 25, 2014, 12:15:51 PM

This is so true.

DazBurg

every one would agree that Cloke has trouble kicking for goal
but to claim he is a spud for that fact
well then Matthew Richardson is a spud too
Travis Cloke's strength is his marking
he needs to be isolated in the fwdline 1 on 1 more
(which opposition realize this and get a third man up etc)
so collingwood need to get the ball in quicker and have there 2nd and third tall forwards drag their opponent up the field
(something White does do but who is there third tall? closet is probably Goldsack and his a defensive foward at best)

anyways some stats to show exactly what i mean

2007 - 8th for marks in AFL (186) - 6th for contested marks (36)
2008 - 16th for marks (159) - 12th for contested marks (40)
2009 - 14th for marks (155) - 12th for contested marks (32)
2010 - 7th for marks (171) - 1st for contested marks (66) 2nd J.Riewoldt (54)
2011- 1st for marks (192) 2nd B.Gibbs (174) - 1st Contested marks (95) 2nd J.Podsiadly (57)
2012 - 4th marks (157) - 1st Contested marks (73) 2nd T.Hawkins (54)
2013 - 2nd marks (190) - 1st contested marks (58) 2nd M.Pyke (52)

(obviously the numbers in brackets is what they got)
so as you can see to claim he is overrated having lead the Whole AFL for the past 4 years in contested marking doesn't make sense at all

now after all that i feel dirty having stuck up for anything to do with collingwood :P