Can anyone pinpoint WTF is going on this year?!?

Started by Samm79, April 15, 2014, 06:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Samm79

Really disappointing start this year, shone in the sun against an average team in Adelaide, but that aside we've been rubbish. Losing the inside battle, defence looks vulnerable, attack seems to lack composure.

What's changed from last year? Something ain't right with the swans this year...

Capper

i missed the game on the weekend but from what i can understand most of the kids are running the midfield. The D is a big worry, we didnt strengthen it at all over the preseason

JBs-Hawks

The Bloods culture is gone! No Bloods No Sydney!

stew42

Problems with last week
a) North Melb dropped Dan Currie last minute and brought in Robbie Nahas. Whilst it flowered us up fantasy wise, it helped their structure heaps. Whilst we kept Derickx in  ::)
b) We didn't make Scott Thompson accountable. The amount of intercept marks he was allowed to take was ridiculous.
c) Use of the ball though the midfield. In these conditions, the "slingshot" game simply wasn't going to work. Having only Buddy in your fwd 50 isn't going to make for a fun day. We needed to put some small fwds permanently in the fwd 50, either Jetta, Rohan or McGlynn.
d) Work rate. 99% of the time NM outnumbered us around the ball. Very un-Bloods like. Only Kennedy and McGlynn gave any real effort as far as I could see. Players who really disappointed for me were Jack, Hanners and O'Keefe. Plus I think too much responsibility was given to Cunners.
e) Basic skill errors. They kept running over the ball!!! If they tried to stop over it, they might have been able to pick it up in the slippery conditions  ::)

In the end, responsibility lies mostly with Horse in the coaching box and a few individual players. One thing that will definitely help is having a few more decent fwd targets.

kilbluff1985

yeah Sydney had way to many talls and starting Rohan as sub was silly in the wet

Mailman the 2nd

Its all contested disposal coming out of the middle.

People scream about Buddy this and that but really we're usually 4th most contested in the comp but this year we're at 15th

j959

Mummy --> Buddy = Fevola Mark II     :P
there I've said it ... we're doomed!   :P   burn it, burn it all down!!!    ;)

I realise it wasn't a trade but Mumford would still be around if they didn't get Franklin, let's be honest here - probably still keep Lamb around too imo ...

I've haven't seen a full game yet to be able to say for sure, but the glimpses I have seen and the commentary I've heard, points to the loss of structure with Mumford gone - I think this leads to the mids not controlling the clearances and then we've got problems getting it into the fwd-50 or setting up the defensive structure if the ball comes in too quick for our defs.

seriously, i'm going to 'reserve judgment' until Goodes and Tippett have a couple of games in the side - that could structure it up a bit better and then Buddy can roam further up the ground where he's more dangerous.

Mailman the 2nd

I think the defence has always been a bit iffy but before this year the midfield was was winning so much contested ball that the comparative pressure was tiny.

Think Jetta needs a break for a week or two, whatever made him click as an All Australian small forward in 2012 just isn't there at the moment.

I'm not convinced Mumford's 100% the issue either, he's been injured for a good 15 odd games during his career here and Sydney didn't struggle as hard in the middle as they are now.

Ricochet

Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on April 15, 2014, 07:49:42 PM
Its all contested disposal coming out of the middle.

People scream about Buddy this and that but really we're usually 4th most contested in the comp but this year we're at 15th
Think you've nailed it here mate. As much as I can say being an outsider looking in anyway. Of the Sydney games I've seen you have been smashed through the midfield. Maybe Pyke isn't as good of a ruckman as people thought? Or the kids in there are given too much responsibility for their lack of experience? Not being a Sydney man I have no idea tbh. Just seems so unlike a Sydney team

T Dog

Quote from: Samm79 on April 15, 2014, 06:43:21 PM
Really disappointing start this year, shone in the sun against an average team in Adelaide, but that aside we've been rubbish. Losing the inside battle, defence looks vulnerable, attack seems to lack composure.

What's changed from last year? Something ain't right with the swans this year...

Has there been any changes in the coaching panels?

Capper

Lamb only got his first start at GWS after being told he would get more game time at GWS than the Swans. Im glad we got rid of mummy but i would have prefered to get a prem back to help out rather than Buddy.

Buddy will come good though and win the coleman

SydneyRox

I am kind of worried about Horse. His coaching has lacked imagination and he has been very slow to react to things like Maxwell and Thompson.
He seems to have the slingshot footy in his head and is playing LRT and Derickx in positions asking them to fulfill the roles that Tippet and Goodes will occupy when they return.
No flexibility and no change for conditions. The choice to keep all the talls on the ground last week was staggering. No issue with Rohan as sub, but also thought he would have had more impact when he came on, but he didnt get near if for (i want to say 10minutes) a long time when he did come on.

We need a little shake up IMO. Rohan and Jets need to go to the NEAFL to find some form. Bird and Towers to come in. Derickx out for Tippet hopefully

Capper

Hmm, do they give Jetta the vest like last year this week, so he can find some form??

Capper

Titch out with an ankle, Rohan out to play a full game in the 2s, ROK dropped.

Great to see Llyod get a game even if he gets the vest. Interestingly none of the talls got dropped

Quote from: tabs on November 11, 2013, 07:11:11 PM
Name: Jake Lloyd

Position: Mid

Guernsey Number: 44

Height: 180cm

Weight: 75kg

Career Games: 0

Career Goals: 0

Fanfooty Profile

Swans Profile

AFL Player Rankings Profile

NEAFL Stats

2013 DT price: $97,300

2013 SC price: $104,200

2013 Sportal price: $91,800

2013 CB price: $114,800

2013 SB price: $91,800

DT Fanplanner Price: $132,600

DT Fanplanner Position: Mid

SC Fanplanner Price: $115,900

SC Fanplanner Position: Mid

Guernsey Number: 44

DT Starting Price:

SC Starting Price: $123,900

Sportal Starting Price:

CB Starting Price:

SB Starting Price:

Position: Mid

Tabs Predictions

2014 DT Average:

2014 SC Average:

2014 Sportal Average:

2014 CB/SB Average:

Tabs says: Absolute ball magnet in the NEAFL with 30+ disposals in 8 games. A featured players in the engine room of the 2s but has also spent some time on the wing and HB flank. Plenty of run and has plenty of petrol in the tank, but will have to wait his time before breaking into the 1s. Like Mitchell, Biggs and Cunningham, Lloyd is fighting for the spot left vacant by the retirement of Bolton, along with Rohan. he is a future player and with his great use by foot he will be in the Swans 1s very soon.

News articles
http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2013-10-24/2013-in-review-jake-lloyd

Mailman the 2nd

Happy to see Bird back and glad to see Rohan rested but I still need to see Towers!