Guns to go head-to-head? Ablett v Rocky

Started by Jroo, April 02, 2014, 08:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jroo

Here are some of the most important bits from the article:
QuoteWhile Lions tagger Andrew Raines has traditionally been handed the role on Ablett in previous QClashes, full-back Daniel Merrett hinted that Tom Rockliff might be given the unenviable task this time around.

"I'm sure someone in the midfield will have that match-up, although it won't be tagging or anything,"Merrett said.

"It could be (Tom) Rockliff. That's what you want to do as footy players, put yourself up against the best. The challenge is there for the midfield.

Rockliff is no stranger to going head-to-head against the competition's best, after matching up against Hawthorn premiership Captain Sam Mitchell in Round One.
http://www.lions.com.au/news/2014-04-02/guns-to-go-headtohead

Bully

Not good for Rocky owners, perhaps good for potential Zorko buyers. I just don't like the new coach, new role uncertainty with Rocky, if I had him I'd be tempted to part company.

HotTiges

hmm this is a worry.. preying he doesn't sacrifice his own game.. watching this space..

quinny88

I dont think it will matter this week because GC wont drag Ablett to another position just because Rocky is on him. Both of them will spend loads of time on the ball and will have 30+ each.

The worry though is this is the second time Leppa is using Rocky in this role.. What is wrong with the people at Brisbane! Rocky is meant to be in the middle of the ground EVERY week trying to brush off other taggers not playing in a bloody forward pocket or doing run with roles on the oppositions guns  >:( give me the damn clip board im taking over the coaching at Brisbane  :P

Hoggyz_a_legend

I would give anything for Saints to use our top draft pick to bring him home. Cos no Brisbane coach bloody knows how to use him! 30 touches, 5 tackles, goal kicking midfielder? Nah we'll use him to tag. Idiots!

RaisyDaisy

Rocky had a targeted job on Mitchell, and they wouldn't be silly enough to try and pull that on Gaz. If anything, they run head to head and could both rack up big numbers, but Rocky will be defensive too, which will be viewed as tagging, but wont really be, just in certain spots. Well that's just how I see it happening :)

GoLions

Just remember in the first quarter against the Hawks, Rocky racked them up before Mitchell took him deep into the forward line. Ablett is not going to do this, so I don't see why they won't both go big this week.

_wato

We must be missing something that the coaches don't see.. Is it because Rocky is the only viable midfielder that can play forward? I mean Redden, Rich, Hanley etc aren't noted goal kickers, especially the former.. It'd be a waste to use a rotation on them up there because they're practically useless. We have to remember Rocky is a natural forward so will get shunted down there to snag a few as part of the mid rotation. I guess we just have to live with it and accept that fact.

I know we'd all love Rockliff to spend all his time in the midfield but they don't lack anything when he isn't in there really.. But his forward presence adds to the value of him. Great team player, SC unfortunately will never reach the heights of 120+ because of his forward abilities and lack of team midfield/forward depth.

HotTiges

Quote from: _wato on April 02, 2014, 10:28:05 PM
We must be missing something that the coaches don't see.. Is it because Rocky is the only viable midfielder that can play forward? I mean Redden, Rich, Hanley etc aren't noted goal kickers, especially the former.. It'd be a waste to use a rotation on them up there because they're practically useless. We have to remember Rocky is a natural forward so will get shunted down there to snag a few as part of the mid rotation. I guess we just have to live with it and accept that fact.

I know we'd all love Rockliff to spend all his time in the midfield but they don't lack anything when he isn't in there really.. But his forward presence adds to the value of him. Great team player, SC unfortunately will never reach the heights of 120+ because of his forward abilities and lack of team midfield/forward depth.

so your saying trade him then??

_wato

Not at all HotTiges. I think he will be a top 10 mid but he is extremely overrated here on Fanfooty.
To be more realistic would to put him in the top 6-10 midfield group, not 2-4 where many have him. I think he will have those outstanding game to boost his average to 115 but many were expecting his second half of last year where he went 128.9..
Many of those were inflated and he had many easy games of opposition where he really went wild. Think 112-116 would be his final average or thereabouts. Many improvers in the Brisbane team in not only SC scoring but in their gameplay. Think Rocky may take a hit.

Jroo

Quote from: GoLions16 on April 02, 2014, 10:16:22 PM
Just remember in the first quarter against the Hawks, Rocky racked them up before Mitchell took him deep into the forward line. Ablett is not going to do this, so I don't see why they won't both go big this week.
Was thinking this myself, they need Ablett on the ball. I believe they will both score well this week.

Bully

If I had Rocky I'd seriously consider trading for Murphy and pocketing 100k, I think he's a very risky prospect at this stage.

Sabretooth Tigers

:)
Most coaches have structured their teams bye conscious and therefore their midfield player ratings are irrelevant. Presently I have Cotchin at M 3,  I believe he'll be a top 15 mid but don't rate him as mid 3. I don't think that Rocky has been over- rated just rated by so many. But that is purely by his end of last season and if his role is to change then his rating could very well be different to what people are expecting. I judged him as an upgrade and will leave it at that. People who have him will become very nervous and trigger happy if he doesn't score well this week, but best of luck guys I hope he doesn't let you down and having said that I've just brought Zorko and M Thomas in to my side. Cheers.      ::)

Bully

Quote from: Sabretooth Tigers on April 03, 2014, 12:24:09 AM
Most coaches have structured their teams bye conscious and therefore their midfield player ratings are irrelevant. Presently I have Cotchin at M 3,  I believe he'll be a top 15 mid but don't rate him as mid 3. I don't think that Rocky has been over- rated just rated by so many. But that is purely by his end of last season and if his role is to change then his rating could very well be different to what people are expecting. I judged him as an upgrade and will leave it at that. People who have him will become very nervous and trigger happy if he doesn't score well this week, but best of luck guys I hope he doesn't let you down and having said that I've just brought Zorko and M Thomas in to my side. Cheers.      ::)

Two excellent picks Sabre, I'd do the same only I have to sort out the Hurn mess. Just on Thomas, one thing that's surprised me is his kicking, whilst he doesn't possess a long range game, his short kicking has been laser-like. A real surprise considering he's only ever managed a paltry 5 kicks a game when playing for Port. This alone should see him beef up his scores, on top of that he's a tackling machine. Many astute judges I know gave him BOG on Thursday, I have to say that assessment is pretty close to the mark.

Sabretooth Tigers

Can you field six playing defenders and leave Hurn Bully ??  And which way will you score best ?  Trading in Zorko and Thomas and having a doughnut in defence  or with a replacement defender for Hurn and only one of the other trades,   guess it may depend on whether or not you already have Swallow.  Best of luck mate.    ;)