Get Ambrose or Thomas?

Started by felsty, April 02, 2014, 09:46:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

felsty

B: Mitchell, Simpson, Enright, McDonald, Langford, Langdon (Georgiou, Laidler)
M: Ablett, Pendlebury, JPKennedy, Beams, Tyson, Polec, Ellis, Dunstan (Michie, Taylor)
R: Natanui, Sandilands (Currie, Derickx)
F: Dangerfield, Martin, Roughead, Mitchell, Parker, Higgins (Rohan, Impey)
$67,200 in the bank!

So I can't go Rohan > M.Thomas, by moving Taylor fwd, I fall about $7k short

Is the next best option to Rohan > Ambrose? My gut tells me he hasn't any real scoring potential but 3 goals in a tight game lifted his score last week. In saying that, Carlton on the weekend and Saints in the next few weeks he could get amongst the goals again.

I don't really have an issue with Michie but really like the look of Thomas for his scoring and money making potential. Would it be a wise move going Rohan > Ambrose and Michie > Thomas?

And then there is the backline. Money would be easy to make if Mitchell or Enright don't get up. Trading either to Swallow would give me the money I'm after. Mitchell/Enright > Swallow?

But it looks as though both will miss at the most one week and if that's the case I think its a pretty big waste to trade one of them.. If they both don't get up I'll need to do something with Laidler so I don't cop a donut. Laidler > Jaensch? Would leave me with very little money.

Any insights?

I'll need about 3 back up plans this weekend :(

GCSkiwi

With an option of "quit" I couldn't resist. Sorry ;)

I am firmly in the camp of Michie to Thomas being an overall unproductive and worthless trade but I've laboured that in other threads, not going into it here.
Rohan has been a bit disappointing but I'm not sure Ambrose's JS is good enough to really warrant the trade. Though maybe with Ryder potentially out his lifespan has been prolonged. He's a maybe, I'm thinking of bringing in Lewis Taylor but you already have him in the mids.
See what the final word on Enright is. If he's out for a while I would go Enright to Swallow. I'm assuming this would also give you enough cash to then go Rohan to Thomas?  Which could be a good set of trades. But yes there's no point trading Enright if he's only out for one game.
Having said all this, Laidler could be considered a priority as he's not doing anything. Double edged sword, his price won't change but he scores no points. Really though your only option to bring someone in is KK, and you don't have enough to go Rohan and Laidler to KK and Thomas.

Laidler to Jaensch could be your answer I think, cross your fingers on the rest.

felsty

Yeah just wish I had that extra $7k haha
I think in the end I could live with downgrading Enright to Swallow and getting Thomas in regardless of Enrights injury..

GCSkiwi

Quote from: felsty on April 02, 2014, 10:47:22 AM
Yeah just wish I had that extra $7k haha
I think in the end I could live with downgrading Enright to Swallow and getting Thomas in regardless of Enrights injury..

Nope. If Enright is out for only a week or two that's more than a bit reckless for this stage of the year. A lot of Fanfooty seems to have a raging mancrush on Thomas, every year this happens where someone has 2 good games and people go chasing the scores already been posted. I just looked in SC gold and Thomas has a best season average of 76.85 in 2010. Getting Thomas is not a necessity, the chance of him maintaining an average of better than 80 are small at best. If people had him to begin with, then hey, great pick. But don't sideways trade out a keeper with a 1-2 week injury just to provide a little bit of cash to sideways out a slow burning rookie for a flash in the pan. That's 2 trades you could wish you had back later on, given that you'll then be trading out Thomas later and Enright has a great chance of being a top defender.

felsty

I'm not looking at Thomas as a keeper, right now I want to get in as many of the good cash cows in as possible, and Thomas with his break even and scoring power so far fit that bill.. If he continues as is he will reach $450k and I have a plan to trade him to McVeigh before Round 8. That gives him 5 price rises. What will he be after that? $400k?

GCSkiwi

Quote from: felsty on April 02, 2014, 12:28:31 PM
I'm not looking at Thomas as a keeper, right now I want to get in as many of the good cash cows in as possible, and Thomas with his break even and scoring power so far fit that bill.. If he continues as is he will reach $450k and I have a plan to trade him to McVeigh before Round 8. That gives him 5 price rises. What will he be after that? $400k?

Who would you trade out to get Thomas? Rohan to Ambrose and Michie to Thomas?
Assuming yes, that leaves you with Laidler doing sweet f.a. on your bench, and then going Michie to Thomas and then Thomas to McVeigh in a few rounds has cost you 2 trades to go from Michie to McVeigh. You could achieve that without getting Thomas as a middle man, 1 downgrade trade to get cash to upgrade Michie to McVeigh, again is 2 trades to go Michie to McVeigh. So get rid of the dead weight first, then...

felsty

Quote from: GCSkiwi on April 02, 2014, 12:34:31 PM
Quote from: felsty on April 02, 2014, 12:28:31 PM

Who would you trade out to get Thomas? Rohan to Ambrose and Michie to Thomas?
Assuming yes, that leaves you with Laidler doing sweet f.a. on your bench, and then going Michie to Thomas and then Thomas to McVeigh in a few rounds has cost you 2 trades to go from Michie to McVeigh. You could achieve that without getting Thomas as a middle man, 1 downgrade trade to get cash to upgrade Michie to McVeigh, again is 2 trades to go Michie to McVeigh. So get rid of the dead weight first, then...
Not sure what you're saying

felsty

A lot of get Ambrose's in, do people think that this is the only major issue and to save my last trade specifically for if my back line if someone doesn't get up? Jeez I hope Laidler gets named! Would be a nice bit of luck in a week of tough decisions!

vtaced

Not sold on Ambrose....looking at the green throughout the year

felsty

felsty

Michie for me is safe. Was playing injured last week and should be alright to go next week. Still has a -18 break even so will go up in price..

So how do I find the funds to get Matt Thomas in? Or is the possible extra trade to get him in not worth it?
If so I think I'll lock in Rohan > Ambrose and then flirt with the idea of Roughead > Zorko so long as two of Mitchell, Enright and Laidler get named. Hell maybe even if only 1 gets named!

Colty

Fid

Quote from: felsty on April 02, 2014, 04:39:02 PM
Michie for me is safe. Was playing injured last week and should be alright to go next week. Still has a -18 break even so will go up in price..

So how do I find the funds to get Matt Thomas in? Or is the possible extra trade to get him in not worth it?
If so I think I'll lock in Rohan > Ambrose and then flirt with the idea of Roughead > Zorko so long as two of Mitchell, Enright and Laidler get named. Hell maybe even if only 1 gets named!

My opinion would be that you will be burning a trade with the idea of Roughead  to Zorko...

You selected Roughy, and you should stick with him, instead of chasing points that have already gone.

Key position players tend to be inconsistent, and the moment you trade him out he will no doubt score over 120 points.

I feel that your choice should be Rohan to either Zorko or Ambrose 

ronl

Pretty sure I'll be going Rohan(he has no future) to Ambrose this week (Bomber was a big rap for him Monday night) but who knows, he could do a hammy in the first 5 minutes and be out for 4 weeks rolling the dice is the nature of this game.  With the money I get from the Rohan trade I'll probably take advantage of Zorko's hot streak by getting rid of Norman Gunston (what was I thinking?) who, of course, will then come out and score 130+ this week.

Doggoneit

Quote from: felsty on April 02, 2014, 04:39:02 PM
Michie for me is safe. Was playing injured last week and should be alright to go next week.

I haven't seen this Fiesty - was he injured during the game?