Should i do these trades purely for making money

Started by david17, March 31, 2014, 09:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spudaroos

GCSkiwi

Quote from: Keeper27 on April 01, 2014, 11:04:36 AM
I get what you are saying.  But I was only using 3 weeks as an example.
In the following weeks after Thomas would have taken over Michie in cash generation.
Even if you take out the 150k for the trade.

Ok but if you accept that you basically negate the value of the trade in 3 weeks, remember the value of his increases will also come down. He's not going to increase at an average of 50k a week for 6 weeks straight. He'll rocket up in the first 3 weeks but after that his rolling average becomes the 100 or whatever he's at, all of a sudden his breakeven is high...

So if after 3 weeks you're 60k better off keeping Michie based off:
michie + 80K (thomas) + 60K = 310K
Thomas + 150K -$150k (trade value) = 250K
Sure in a few weeks  moreThomas might close that gap, but I put that at around week 9 - Thomas has a week off in week 8 where Michie makes some cash, week 9 they're even, week 10 out goes Michie. Maybe week 11-12 out goes Thomas. So you only really end up breaking even or making a very small gain on it, why bother?

Keeper27

same can be said for michie, he'll be gaining only 5-10K after those 3 weeks if he keeps going like he does.
while Thomas will be around the 30-35K at the same time, he'll catch him by by then and then some.

much much better trade option IMO, quicker upgrade too.
but hey thats just my thoughts.

GCSkiwi

Quote from: Keeper27 on April 01, 2014, 12:16:24 PM
same can be said for michie, he'll be gaining only 5-10K after those 3 weeks if he keeps going like he does.
while Thomas will be around the 30-35K at the same time, he'll catch him by by then and then some.

much much better trade option IMO, quicker upgrade too.
but hey thats just my thoughts.

Yep fair enough. I think we just disagree over whether the end result is worth the cost of the trade, I say no, you say yes. Everyone gets to decide for themselves.  :D

Keeper27

this is an approximation from Tooserious.net

Matt Thomas
$250,300.00    (avg) 119, (BE) -90, (Salary Movement) $91,571.00, (Salary Movement 2)$66,897.00, (Salary Movement 3)$49,948.00

thats more closer to 200K increase than 150 that i said before.

So if after 3 weeks you're ONLY 10k better off keeping Michie based off:
Thomas + 200K -$150k (trade value) = 300K

and again, after those weeks Michie's increase will lower to about 5-10K, while Thomas will drop to 30-35K in the weeks after.

GCSkiwi

Quote from: Keeper27 on April 01, 2014, 01:06:10 PM
this is an approximation from Tooserious.net

Matt Thomas
$250,300.00    (avg) 119, (BE) -90, (Salary Movement) $91,571.00, (Salary Movement 2)$66,897.00, (Salary Movement 3)$49,948.00

thats more closer to 200K increase than 150 that i said before.

So if after 3 weeks you're ONLY 10k better off keeping Michie based off:
Thomas + 200K -$150k (trade value) = 300K

and again, after those weeks Michie's increase will lower to about 5-10K, while Thomas will drop to 30-35K in the weeks after.

Those projections rely on the player continuing at their current average though - I'm backing Michie to improve his average and think there is no way Thomas will continue at 119 ;)

(SC gold has Thomas at a BE of -100 and projected score of 90, set to increase $80k. So the only was too serious could project an increase of $90k this week from their incorrect BE of -90 is if he got close to 120, I'm guessing they use the players average).

I'm not disagreeing with you saying Thomas will make money quickly. He certainly will. I'm just saying it's dangerous to look at that in isolation as opposed to part of the grand scheme and what your plans are for players overall.

Samm79

Don't forget that the players current price dictates heavily with dollars gained. It's much harder to get the same dollar increase off a higher priced player

Doggoneit

an interesting debate going on here

have you factored in the extra points that Thomas brings to you team each week - what is the value of this ?

GCSkiwi

Quote from: Doggoneit on April 01, 2014, 06:55:12 PM
an interesting debate going on here

have you factored in the extra points that Thomas brings to you team each week - what is the value of this ?

I mentioned in one of my earlier posts (which I forgive you for not reading in their entirety, jeez I write a lot) that Thomas's price ris will be rapid, so the upgrade to a prem will likely occur earlier - in any case even if you keep Thomas through the byes you miss 1 week at least through round 8, which you don't miss if you keep Michie and trade him round 10. There will be a difference but let's say Thomas averages 80 points from here and Michie 60, you will be at most 40 points ahead going with Thomas. I think more likely it will be very close to even points. People expecting Thomas to average 120 as he has from 2 games so far will be disappointed I think.

Doggoneit

certainly not expecting to continue his current average - 85 to 90 is more realistic week in week out

Michie needs to lift 20 pts per game to have the same value

We now know Thomas can post some big scores - we don't know Michie can.

The Rd8 bye does bring complications to the argument though so I see your reasoning.

GCSkiwi

Quote from: Doggoneit on April 01, 2014, 09:08:08 PM

Michie needs to lift 20 pts per game to have the same value

This is where I think people are coming unstuck. Thomas is 80k more than Michie to begin with, and price is in part determined by a players current price and in part by their 3 game rolling average. Sure to have the same absolute dollar value Michie probably needs to average about 80ppg also, but to make the same PROFIT on their starting price Michie can get away with 60-65 (assuming Thomas goes at 80-85. This is why I think it isn't worth the trade, as the equation only really looks in Thomas' favour if he can average 90+ even then, until he averages 100+ (for about 6 games) it's only slightly in his favour, and if he's averaging 100+ then surely you would keep him so the price then becomes irrelevant. Trading Michie to Thomas should only be done if you have the faith that Thomas could produce scores that effectively would make him a keeper.

Essentially:

Assume Michie averages 60-65

Thomas 80-85 - no net gain
Thomas 86-95 net gain ~$100k max
Thomas 96-100 net gain ~150k max, probably worth it (personal preference, I would rather have a trade)
Thomas 100+ net gain >150k but also has become irrelevant as you keep him