DAYLE GARLETT WALKS OUT ON HAWKS

Started by bennynam, March 25, 2014, 11:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennynam

Dayle Garlett has walked out on Hawthorn. Not surprising the risk didn't pay off. All the best to the kid!

bennynam

Kenny27

After all the shower he is done and said "I'm a changed man" to be given a chance by a AFL club.. the premiers of all teams he walks out.

Enjoy life at Swan Districts, you won't get picked by Freo or West Coast either now if that's your plan.

_wato

I honestly can't believe this.

Everybody's dream is to play AFL and they'd do anything to get there.. This bloke got there with a SECOND CHANCE yet isn't willing to put the hard yards in and do what it takes. I'd be absolutely stoked to even be around an AFL club let alone be on the senior list at the best team in the competition.

If only I was the son of a great footballer I would get there..

eaglesman

Quote from: _wato on March 26, 2014, 12:04:57 AM

Everybody's dream is to play AFL and they'd do anything to get there.. This bloke got there with a SECOND CHANCE yet isn't willing to put the hard yards in and do what it takes. I'd be absolutely stoked to even be around an AFL club let alone be on the senior list at the best team in the competition.

absolutely mate .... It is the dream of so many and people with all the talent in the world just waste it ...

shorty3264

Jeez, that's unfortunate. Agree with the comments. Wouldn't be any amount of "hard work" that'd stop me if I had that chance, and talent haha. Him and Nathan Ablett.... wasted talents.

salver11

Quote from: _wato on March 26, 2014, 12:04:57 AM

I thought like you once but with age comes wisdom and from your quote above and what has happened here you have missed the point and it's easy to do. It's not everyone's dream to play in the AFL, this kid doesn't know what his dream is, I suspect that he may not have a dream at all. I remember when Ash Sampi walked out on the eagles to go north and hunt turtle. I also remember 2 years later when he turned up the size of a blimp and went on the two meals of turtle a day diet and declared he wanted to play footy again. No shock to the real world he didn't get picked up, it was probably a shock to him though! I've actually read a little bit about Ash working in the mines and making something of his life which is fantastic but I bet everyday he regrets walking away from the game and the opportunity it was but for whatever reason it was at the time he just couldn't do it.

At 19/20 not everyone can see the opportunity that is in front of them, especially when they're coming from a different background and I'm pretty sure he doesn't even really get what it means, he'd know he's throwing something away because everybody will be telling him he is but what that is he can't see. I think as people who don't know his situation we need to realise that we just don't understand and really just hope the best for the kid and that if it isn't with football he can make something of his life.

I remember last year I came on here and bagged 2 players who passed up contracts with the clubs they were with to try for a longer contract and a contract interstate and both ended up out of the system, I was saying how they were throwing so much away. Whilst I still see it as a massive opportunity lost if you aren't happy and it's not what you want, in the world we live you have he chance to try for something else. Hopefully he has something else that he's good at.

Samm79

Ricochet

Quote from: salver11 on March 26, 2014, 12:46:32 AM
I thought like you once but with age comes wisdom and from your quote above and what has happened here you have missed the point and it's easy to do. It's not everyone's dream to play in the AFL, this kid doesn't know what his dream is, I suspect that he may not have a dream at all. I remember when Ash Sampi walked out on the eagles to go north and hunt turtle. I also remember 2 years later when he turned up the size of a blimp and went on the two meals of turtle a day diet and declared he wanted to play footy again. No shock to the real world he didn't get picked up, it was probably a shock to him though! I've actually read a little bit about Ash working in the mines and making something of his life which is fantastic but I bet everyday he regrets walking away from the game and the opportunity it was but for whatever reason it was at the time he just couldn't do it.

At 19/20 not everyone can see the opportunity that is in front of them, especially when they're coming from a different background and I'm pretty sure he doesn't even really get what it means, he'd know he's throwing something away because everybody will be telling him he is but what that is he can't see. I think as people who don't know his situation we need to realise that we just don't understand and really just hope the best for the kid and that if it isn't with football he can make something of his life.

I remember last year I came on here and bagged 2 players who passed up contracts with the clubs they were with to try for a longer contract and a contract interstate and both ended up out of the system, I was saying how they were throwing so much away. Whilst I still see it as a massive opportunity lost if you aren't happy and it's not what you want, in the world we live you have he chance to try for something else. Hopefully he has something else that he's good at.
Well done salver. Very well said.

At the end of the day lads, we don't know his situation. He hasn't had the family support that we all take for granted and mentally just isn't ready for the commitment. Its sad that we may never see him on the big stage because he is such a raw talent.

Southstorm

What salver said is right on. The kids life is his life, he's old enough to make the right decision. I wish him all the best; takes a lot of courage to walk away from what is a good salary and a cosseted career like that. 

_wato

I agree with you Salver.

But he stated it was his dream but that he wasn't up for the rigours of it all, thats what I find hard to cope with because I may be different to many and would do absolutely anything it took to play AFL.

RaisyDaisy

A shame for him and Hawthorn

I don't think we can just assume his lazy and didn't want to train all the time etc...

The kid obviously has some mental issues to deal with, and before he can deal with them and mature into an adult he wont be ready to play AFL

When I say mental issues I am not implying anything negative, more so the mental challenges of hard work/life etc

The demands of AFL are extremely tough, and to be honest I am surprised we don't hear about more kids dropping off. For some people, when they have a passion, something they live and breathe, when that passion turns into a job after a while it's not hard to start to lose interest, lose the passion, because the daily grind and workman like approach can slowly turn a passion into a "job"

Most people will say, OMG I would never throw away a dream like that, but until your in that position you will never know. Everyone's head is screwed on differently

tor01doc

A lot of thoughtful folk posting on this thread. I find it uplifting.

I often describe the inner thoughts people have as 'tearing thoughts' when they aren't positive.

I suspect he has tearing thoughts and just can't make them go away. Self doubt, low self esteem, etc are a blight on human beings.

Wish him all the best.

When I have my own personal nervous breakdown, I will start a thread here for all your considered opinions and advice. Will save me a lot in shrink fees.  ;)

shaker

Chance of lifetime down the toilet as he matures he will regret a lost opportunity

geoffmack

Quote from: salver11 on March 26, 2014, 12:46:32 AM

Really well spoken salver. His culture is something we know very little about and we criticise too easily for what we perceive as dumb choices. It takes a lot of courage to say no to something you are not 100% committed to even if the $$$$ are big. Family comes first above all else.

I wish the kid best wishes in his future.