Main Menu

Richmond 2014 H&A discussion

Started by quinny88, March 25, 2014, 02:36:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jroo

We're playing some good footy atm and if think it's more important to get some momentum for next year, then tank.
A few results go our way this season (games against Gold Coast, Melbourne, Bulldogs) and we'd be in the 8 and we'd think Dimma is a genius. I don't think we have to panic just get, I said earlier in the year I'd like to give Dimma until the end of next year before asking for him to be sacked.
Playing Griff over McBean wasn't a bad call, Griff is more AFL ready and McBean has got plenty of time to develop.

About today's game, we were lucky to get the four points. We were quite lazy so I'm just happy we got the win. Massive game against the Bombers this week.

Jroo

I don't think our recruiting has been as bad as some say.
Maric was a great pick up.
Houli was a good pick up too.
Petterd is unfairly criticised, he was good again today.
Miles is a gun, enough said.

Pretty unlikely we'll get either Shiel or TMitch, but I hope we have a go at them

Toga

Bugger Griffiths? He is only 22 years old and has had under 20 games of experience before this year... Give him a chance for god's sake!

Huge potential, take a look at that boot on him - find some more consistency and we have a gem on our hands. Not to mention he's the only bloke that was able to give Ivvy a chop out in the ruck today. McBean is still a bit undersized for that. Wouldn't mind seeing McBean get a run alongside Jroo & Vickery/Griffiths (as a third tall) but don't think he's gonna be up to a second tall/pinch hitting ruck at this stage of his development.

As for our mature-age recruits, as Roo said I think we are getting a bit carried away here... Maric, Houli and Miles have been invaluable so far in their time at the club, while Petterd and Grigg do their bits for the team despite being heavily criticised. Good to see Grigg had something like 27 contested possies today in the VFL - that's what we want to see from him!

shaker

Ha ha fair dinkum all you guys must have rose colored glasses on all I see from a lot of these guys are players that cannot hold a spot in a team that has performed poorly and some young guys that don't get a crack , maybe I should go to the specsavers next week get some of these glasses  ::)

Jroo

Quote from: Toga on August 02, 2014, 10:41:42 PM
Bugger Griffiths? He is only 22 years old and has had under 20 games of experience before this year... Give him a chance for god's sake!

Huge potential, take a look at that boot on him - find some more consistency and we have a gem on our hands. Not to mention he's the only bloke that was able to give Ivvy a chop out in the ruck today. McBean is still a bit undersized for that. Wouldn't mind seeing McBean get a run alongside Jroo & Vickery/Griffiths (as a third tall) but don't think he's gonna be up to a second tall/pinch hitting ruck at this stage of his development.

As for our mature-age recruits, as Roo said I think we are getting a bit carried away here... Maric, Houli and Miles have been invaluable so far in their time at the club, while Petterd and Grigg do their bits for the team despite being heavily criticised. Good to see Grigg had something like 27 contested possies today in the VFL - that's what we want to see from him!
Yep agreed about McBean, McBean would've been killed by Mummy in the ruck, so Griff was picked.
McBean's time will come.

Nige

Quote from: shaker on August 02, 2014, 10:50:13 PM
Ha ha fair dinkum all you guys must have rose colored glasses on all I see from a lot of these guys are players that cannot hold a spot in a team that has performed poorly and some young guys that don't get a crack , maybe I should go to the specsavers next week get some of these glasses  ::)
Or maybe you should give yourself an uppercut...

shaker

Quote from: NigeyS on August 02, 2014, 11:06:32 PM

Now now Nigey don't get nasty just because you see things a different way , I'll just try the glasses first.

Nige

Quote from: shaker on August 02, 2014, 11:10:43 PM

Now now Nigey don't get nasty just because you see things a different way , I'll just try the glasses first.
All I can is I am glad you have zero influence into the direction of the Richmond Football Club or we'd be in a worse position than St Kilda right now.

shaker

Quote from: NigeyS on August 02, 2014, 11:12:42 PM
Quote from: shaker on August 02, 2014, 11:10:43 PM

All I can is I am glad you have zero influence into the direction of the Richmond Football Club or we'd be in a worse position than St Kilda right now.

We all have zero influence in those things and we can go back and forth for days on this but when it boils down to it there all only opinions no one will know what will happen next year until then so maybe we revisit this next august and see who was on the money .

Toga

I dont really understand mate what players are you talking about when you say "players that cannot hold a spot in a team that has performed poorly"?

I would love to see guys like McDonough, Lennon and McBean get games as well but you can only pick so many players each week!

shaker

Quote from: Toga on August 02, 2014, 11:25:51 PM

I dont really understand mate what players are you talking about when you say "players that cannot hold a spot in a team that has performed poorly"?

I would love to see guys like McDonough, Lennon and McBean get games as well but you can only pick so many players each week!

Like I said to Nigey we can go back and forth for days on this Toga , for what I can see that a lot of you guys think the Tiges are going in the right direction and I don't and the only way is to see where they are this time next year cheers

Nige

I can guarantee you right now it will be us.

shaker

Quote from: NigeyS on August 02, 2014, 11:45:09 PM
I can guarantee you right now it will be us.

No guarantees in life Nigey and that is still only an opinion  ;)

Vinny

It is not as if Richmond are coming last, they have won 5 in a row and are a mathematical chance of the 8. Yes, they have gone backwards this year but have shown they can play. Giving up and just playing kids for the sake of it is silly.

Also, the argument that there is no point winning now as it is too late is flowering ridiculous. Teams and players play AFL to win, regardless of where they are on the ladder. Just cause they are not a chance of playing finals does not mean they all of a sudden have the mentality that they want high draft picks like some of the fans do. Playing kids that definitely are not best 22 when you're best 22 players despite being older are fit because winning is supposedly not important to the club due to their ladder position is pretty much tanking.

That is the most Richmond defending I will ever do for the rest of my life. :P

quinny88

Shaker, McBean isn't getting games because his defensive side is sub AFL standard.
No point throwing him in to be made a fool out of and put a dent in his confidence.
He was always going to be a long term project and will be worth the wait.