Main Menu

Richmond 2014 H&A discussion

Started by quinny88, March 25, 2014, 02:36:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nige

shaker

Quote from: JROO8 on August 02, 2014, 03:16:37 PM
McBean has 4 goals at 3QTR Time #Gun

Yes and why is he not playing against GWS , coach is trying to save his own arse instead of looking to the future  >:(

Nige

Quote from: shaker on August 02, 2014, 06:27:38 PM
Yes and why is he not playing against GWS , coach is trying to save his own arse instead of looking to the future  >:(
Mate seriously, just stop the flowering pessimism.

Nige

Also, Conca's hit was just stupid.

Intentional, low impact, contact to the head... that's like 6 points which I think is 3 weeks? Good record and a guilty plea reduces it to just the one week off?

Fair assessment?

elephants

Haha I've seen a lot of commentators saying 3-4.

flower it was weak though.

kilbluff1985

Dusty needs a new haircut wtf is he thinking it's shocking

shaker

Quote from: NigeyS on August 02, 2014, 06:48:38 PM

Not pessimism Nigey  just realism and will not stop till I can see some change in what this coach is doing , this season is flowered so lets play what young guys we have , you can sugarcoat every little thing they do this year but as far as I'm concerned Dimma has led us on a path like moneyball the movie since he got there , so you might not like what I say but I am sure if we continue on this path we will not get anywhere.

Toga

Who would he play instead of today though? Griffiths has a lot of potential to be a spearhead of our fwd line in the future as well...

shaker

Quote from: Toga on August 02, 2014, 07:26:23 PM

Who would he play instead of today though? Griffiths has a lot of potential to be a spearhead of our fwd line in the future as well...

That's what I'm saying bugger Griffiths he has had years give McBean a crack give Lennon a go and Gordon a full game we really have not got many good young guys as it is but I'm called negative for saying this jeez what's the worst that can happen we get a lower draft pick  :o

Ziplock

Quote from: shaker on August 02, 2014, 07:37:09 PM

That's what I'm saying bugger Griffiths he has had years give McBean a crack give Lennon a go and Gordon a full game we really have not got many good young guys as it is but I'm called negative for saying this jeez what's the worst that can happen we get a lower draft pick  :o

I'd say that if whatever you were doing was still failing, but you've won 5 in a row.... clearly something's working atm, so the coach is going to continue playing the best players they can. There's a fine line between developing players for the future and tanking, but if you're on a winning streak, you'll cross that line. Griffiths wasn't bad enough tonight to really warrant dropping.

shaker

Quote from: Ziplock on August 02, 2014, 08:22:08 PM
Quote from: shaker on August 02, 2014, 07:37:09 PM

I'd say that if whatever you were doing was still failing, but you've won 5 in a row.... clearly something's working atm, so the coach is going to continue playing the best players they can. There's a fine line between developing players for the future and tanking, but if you're on a winning streak, you'll cross that line. Griffiths wasn't bad enough tonight to really warrant dropping.

Yes winning 5 in row is great but is not going to get us anywhere this year it's to late, might make the coach feel good but it's not getting games into young guys , we have some very good players but this squad is not going to match it with the best teams the quicker we change that the quicker the success

Nige

Quote from: shaker on August 02, 2014, 07:19:37 PM
Not pessimism Nigey  just realism and will not stop till I can see some change in what this coach is doing , this season is flowered so lets play what young guys we have , you can sugarcoat every little thing they do this year but as far as I'm concerned Dimma has led us on a path like moneyball the movie since he got there , so you might not like what I say but I am sure if we continue on this path we will not get anywhere.
You're basically calling for Dimma's head.

Let's be honest, the team's development and growth under Dimma has been amazing to date. I'm sure you're old enough to remember the days of Danny Frawley and Terry Wallace, those years weren't great for the club and lot of terrible mistakes were made. Since Dimma's been in charge, the team's moved forward in just about every aspect.

Our poor start to the season has set us back. Realistically, we're not going to make finals unless we win every game from here on out and other results go our way. However, there's nothing wrong with aiming at finals regardless of how slim our chances are. We're also currently on a win streak. For that to happen, you have to been playing well and the team has had minimal changes in this time. There's no point changing a winning formula just because we can't 'realistically' make finals.

I daresay Griffiths has arguably the most potential on our list. He's a big guy, so naturally he's taken a why to develop but this year he's shown glimpses of the player he can be. We've even got Choco working with him this year, and we all know how good a coach he is. He worked with Dusty last year and that worked wonders. McBean isn't going anywhere and won't walk out on the club if we don't get games into him right now. Lennon and a handful of others have been stiff to miss in recent weeks, but we can only play 22 each week. Particularly if we're winning, there's no need to make too many changes.

We don't have many good young guys? Ellis, Vlastuin, Arnot, Griffiths, McBean, McDonough, O'Hanlon, Lloyd, Gordon, Lennon just to name some guys.

TL;DR - Be happy, show some optimism, have faith in the boys and trust in Dimma.

Big Mac

btw - Winning does a lot more than make the coach feel good. It lifts the whole atmosphere around the club and makes the players excited to play. It also makes those in the VFL work as hard as they can to make it. Not to mention the financial benefits from extra sponsors and members. IMO that's worth much more than the development some of your younger guys might get from playing in the firsts

Nige

Quote from: Big  Mac on August 02, 2014, 09:38:40 PM
btw - Winning does a lot more than make the coach feel good. It lifts the whole atmosphere around the club and makes the players excited to play. It also makes those in the VFL work as hard as they can to make it. Not to mention the financial benefits from extra sponsors and members. IMO that's worth much more than the development some of your younger guys might get from playing in the firsts
Exactly.

Here's a little bit from the VFL match report on the RFC site.

"Experienced midfielder Shaun Grigg stood up when the game was on the line and dominated the stoppages in the last quarter to finish with a team-high 36 disposals (25 contested) and a staggering 19 clearances.

Liam McBean continued his exciting goalkicking form, finishing with four goals, including a superb gather and snap from 35 metres out.

Matt McDonough, who collected 17 disposals, was lively across half-forward and converted well to finish with three goals. Fellow forward Aaron Edwards constantly provided an option and also booted three majors.

Matt Arnot (24 disposals), Matt Dea (20) and Chris Knights (19) were all solid performers."

That's seven AFL listed players all posting good numbers and performing well in a close loss (it was a game they should won). They know they're playing for their places in the side. Even if they don't get picked the next week, they're gonna try and kick four or rack up 36 to push their case for selection.

shaker

Quote from: NigeyS on August 02, 2014, 09:08:53 PM
Quote from: shaker on August 02, 2014, 07:19:37 PM
You're basically calling for Dimma's head.

Let's be honest, the team's development and growth under Dimma has been amazing to date. I'm sure you're old enough to remember the days of Danny Frawley and Terry Wallace, those years weren't great for the club and lot of terrible mistakes were made. Since Dimma's been in charge, the team's moved forward in just about every aspect.

Our poor start to the season has set us back. Realistically, we're not going to make finals unless we win every game from here on out and other results go our way. However, there's nothing wrong with aiming at finals regardless of how slim our chances are. We're also currently on a win streak. For that to happen, you have to been playing well and the team has had minimal changes in this time. There's no point changing a winning formula just because we can't 'realistically' make finals.

I daresay Griffiths has arguably the most potential on our list. He's a big guy, so naturally he's taken a why to develop but this year he's shown glimpses of the player he can be. We've even got Choco working with him this year, and we all know how good a coach he is. He worked with Dusty last year and that worked wonders. McBean isn't going anywhere and won't walk out on the club if we don't get games into him right now. Lennon and a handful of others have been stiff to miss in recent weeks, but we can only play 22 each week. Particularly if we're winning, there's no need to make too many changes.

We don't have many good young guys? Ellis, Vlastuin, Arnot, Griffiths, McBean, McDonough, O'Hanlon, Lloyd, Gordon, Lennon just to name some guys.

TL;DR - Be happy, show some optimism, have faith in the boys and trust in Dimma.

Will have one more crack Nigey haha out of those guys you listed Ellis is not a new young player , Vlastuin who is already a regular and we need more like him out of the rest I see McBean , Gordon , Lennon with a future the rest have done little , but what I'm trying to say that I see successful teams like the Hawks and the Swans blooding more young guys than us but I suppose that is why they are successful

As for Dimma he has had 5 years and gone backwards this year, he will coach us next year and I hope he can prove me wrong but he needs a top 4 or very near that otherwise if we have another year like this he must go that will be 6 years and there will be talk of rebuilding another few years and unsuccessful coaches don't last that long , also he has made some poor coaching decisions in box this year especially earlier this year

It is great to win 5 in a row but we will not make the finals the Swans in Sydney in the last should put that to bed if it even goes that far , I'm just thinking of the future for the Tiges and we must hit the trade time hard this year unload a lot of dead wood and either chase someone like Tom Mitchell or Dylan Shiel or get some early draft picks and STOP GETTING MID AGED SPUDS FROM OTHER CLUBS instead of young blokes cheers