Main Menu

Richmond 2014 H&A discussion

Started by quinny88, March 25, 2014, 02:36:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LF

elephants

Soz Nigella, just saw it flash up on ten news over here. I was eating dinner though so I wasn't really paying attention. Been plenty if coverage of the Conca case though with Conca being a WA lad

Nige

Just wanted to make sure this was legit and also curious to see what was actually said.

elephants

Mailman the 2nd

elephants

Ziplock

A lot of what happens in football would be classified as assault in real life- it's one of the reasons why I feel a little bad for players when they do have off the field incidents- they've basically trained to hurt people on the field, and some of that aggression translates off it.

Honestly, Smith would probably have a legitimate legal case against him- a judge won't really give a flying flower that it was on the football field, it was well out of the bounds of the rules and was a dangerous coward punch.

But no football player would press charges unless it was a ridiculously, ridiculously severe case.

quinny88

LOL. Lock any one up that's ever assaulted someone on the footy field and throw away the key  ::)

I know that plenty of people think footy is getting weak.. Footy is only getting weak as a bi product of society getting weak as a whole.

Just this piss weak new age of political correctness. Everyone thinking they are entitled to something. People picking and choosing what they will take offence to. Everything is now "dangerous" or blown out to be looked at as if the worst case scenario COULD have happened when it HASN'T. If you have a beer now you're an alchaloic. If you take drugs you're a drug addict.

Conca forearms a bloke in the back of the head. He's an idiot and he copped a punishment but now people say he should be criminally charged and needs anger management classes. What an absolute joke! And because this was on the back of Vickery doing something stupid last week, now apparently Richmond have "disciplinary issues"... Because 2 guys on a list of 40 do something out of the blue both in retaliation the club has disciplinary problems?

I feel sorry for anyone that grows up in the generation after us. They will be wrapped in bubble wrap to walk down the street. Football will be played only by a minority as parents want their kids to play basketball or soccer now because they are "safer"

I grew up in the wrong generation  ::)

For the record I'm not condoning what Conca did. He's a goose and that was a silly act even in the 60s or 70s and would have got weeks. But why it has to be made out to be this huge ordeal with all of these branching issues is beyond me

Ricochet

Agree with just about everything you said mate. If anything more comes of this it'll be a joke

Mailman the 2nd

Quote from: Ziplock on August 06, 2014, 12:49:22 AM
A lot of what happens in football would be classified as assault in real life- it's one of the reasons why I feel a little bad for players when they do have off the field incidents- they've basically trained to hurt people on the field, and some of that aggression translates off it.

Honestly, Smith would probably have a legitimate legal case against him- a judge won't really give a flying flower that it was on the football field, it was well out of the bounds of the rules and was a dangerous coward punch.

But no football player would press charges unless it was a ridiculously, ridiculously severe case.

While I admit I have very limited knowledge, there'd be no way you could charge that in a court of law.

You can get charged for tackling someone off-field as assault. If it was actually brought to court it would probably be thrown out immediately given the AFL already punished Conca well under their guidelines.

Ziplock

Quote from: quinny88 on August 06, 2014, 04:07:48 AM
LOL. Lock any one up that's ever assaulted someone on the footy field and throw away the key  ::)

I know that plenty of people think footy is getting weak.. Footy is only getting weak as a bi product of society getting weak as a whole.

Just this piss weak new age of political correctness. Everyone thinking they are entitled to something. People picking and choosing what they will take offence to. Everything is now "dangerous" or blown out to be looked at as if the worst case scenario COULD have happened when it HASN'T. If you have a beer now you're an alchaloic. If you take drugs you're a drug addict.

Conca forearms a bloke in the back of the head. He's an idiot and he copped a punishment but now people say he should be criminally charged and needs anger management classes. What an absolute joke! And because this was on the back of Vickery doing something stupid last week, now apparently Richmond have "disciplinary issues"... Because 2 guys on a list of 40 do something out of the blue both in retaliation the club has disciplinary problems?

I feel sorry for anyone that grows up in the generation after us. They will be wrapped in bubble wrap to walk down the street. Football will be played only by a minority as parents want their kids to play basketball or soccer now because they are "safer"

I grew up in the wrong generation  ::)

For the record I'm not condoning what Conca did. He's a goose and that was a silly act even in the 60s or 70s and would have got weeks. But why it has to be made out to be this huge ordeal with all of these branching issues is beyond me

I think the disciplinary problems was because richmond also gave away a lot of off the ball frees. The issue is that a strike to the back of the head has a huge chance of causing serious injury- that's why rabbit punches are banned in nearly every combat sport like boxing/ mma.

It's like saying 'I shot a loaded gun at him, just to scare him, and I missed, so that's ok'

The only people who've really been saying he should be charged are lawyers looking to make a few bucks... although, they'd probably have the best idea whether it'd hold up.  He should be receiving anger management classes though- they're there to teach you to control yourself in situations where you're pissed off... and not to go punching people in the back of the head.

Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on August 06, 2014, 09:53:31 AM
Quote from: Ziplock on August 06, 2014, 12:49:22 AM

While I admit I have very limited knowledge, there'd be no way you could charge that in a court of law.

You can get charged for tackling someone off-field as assault. If it was actually brought to court it would probably be thrown out immediately given the AFL already punished Conca well under their guidelines.

Tackling is a defined part of the game, striking people in the back of the head isn't. And whether or not the AFL's passed judgement wouldn't affect the outcome of the decision- for instance, if you get into a fight at school, and the school suspends you, you can still be charged regardless.

More analogies than I'd like, but you see my point. I don't think Smith should charge him, that'd be a really, really bad decision on his behalf, would completely alienate him from the rest of the players and be a massive over reaction, but if he did choose to, I honestly think it'd have more than a 50% chance of holding up.

quinny88

Zip, please. This is a mans game, contact sport played at high tempo by young men with a lot on the line. It is not anything like the outside world. We've all heard of white line fever. People do and say things in the heat of the battle that they would never do in the outside world.
conca has never hit anyone before, he's never been in trouble with the law or done anything to suggest he needs anger management. He got in a scuffle on a football field and did something stupid. He cops the weeks and we move on.

kilbluff1985

Bomber has said Fletch is sore and might not play tomorrow

Steinberg would be his replacement is my guess he has been playing well in the reserves all year

Nige

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on August 07, 2014, 01:04:30 PM

Steinberg would be his replacement is my guess he has been playing well in the reserves all year
Hibberd still out as well?

kilbluff1985

Quote from: NigeyS on August 07, 2014, 01:08:17 PM
Quote from: kilbluff1985 on August 07, 2014, 01:04:30 PM

Hibberd still out as well?

Assume so isn't he meant to be out for a couple?