Main Menu

Richmond 2014 H&A discussion

Started by quinny88, March 25, 2014, 02:36:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricochet

Quote from: Toga on April 06, 2014, 12:26:57 PM
Quote from: Ricochet on April 06, 2014, 12:03:55 PM
Fair enough. Did McDonough play 2s? Anyone here how he went

The VFL side got torn a new one by Footscray on yesterday by 100+ by the sounds of it... Not sure if he played as there was no mention of him in the match report I read, but he was listed as an emergency for yesterday so he might've had the weekend off. He'll be on the brink of a return IMO, there will be some changes to our lineup this week I daresay.
Ok cheers man. 100+ is an ugly day :o

Nige

I actually thought our VFL side was looking pretty good going into the season, but they've had a rough start.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/footscray-returns-to-vfl-as-victor-over-richmond-20140405-zqr90.html

Batsanis, Miles and Ross Young were good. Helbig and Elton did okay too. Foley, Batch and Darrou didn't have good games either.

Undermanned and undersized in defence, outrun in the mids and forwards as bad, if not worse than the senior side.  :-\

Not a pretty start losing by 117 points.  :-X

elephants

Bring McDonough back pls, he's rotting on me SC bench :P

quinny88

Needs to be changes made this week.

King is not fit and should not be finding his fitness and form in the senior team. Thats poor from the coaches and selection comitee. He was well off the pace last week against Carlton and couldnt keep up with the game and it hurt us and now it has hurt us for a second week in a row, this time in a close loss where having someone that could run could have been the difference in the game.

The forward line needs a shake up. I dont care what Hardwick says, Riewoldt is one of the best full forwards in the league and should play out of the goal square every quater of every week. Piss Vickery off out of the way and get the ball in quickly to Jack. Wasnt rocket science that we got back into the game when we started winning the ball out of the middle quickly and banging it into him.

Our tackling obviously wasnt adressed in the off season. We were 18th in tackles last season and are down near the bottom again this year. The bulldogs tackled really well. We couldnt break the tackles and they forced lock in ball ups and turn overs. We decided we would tackle well in the last quater when we had a sniff at winning. Theres no excuse for some things. Poor tackling is one of them.

Nige

Tank's a revelation in that department. He's a tackle machine.

Matt Arnot would rack them up if he was in the side, similar playing to Tank.

Some of our guys don't even look like they know how to tackle though...

Nige

Happy Birthday to our superstar skipper - Trent Cotchin!  8)

Toga

quinny88

Quote from: NigeyS on April 07, 2014, 09:56:45 AM
Tank's a revelation in that department. He's a tackle machine.

Matt Arnot would rack them up if he was in the side, similar playing to Tank.

Some of our guys don't even look like they know how to tackle though...

Yeah the problem is we cant just play in and under players that will tackle, we need our class players to pull their fingers out and lay some decent tackles.

Watching the Essendon Carlton game last night and I noticed that the game was very similair to ours. Carlton came at Essendon in the 3rd quater. They started to take risks and run and you could feel the game beggining to swing. The reason Essendon were able to stop it is that they layed some great tackles when Carlton looked like breaking the lines. They didnt allow them to get momentum. When teams get a run on against us we are powerless to stop it because teams are running hard, taking risks with run and carry and you literally watch them brush through our tackles or get hanballs away from our half arsed tackles.

TeeJay

Hardwick doesnt seem to rate tackling stats. He was asked about it numerous times last year and always made light of it. Dont know how he can be so contested ball orientated yet not rate tackling numbers. Richmond only lost the count by about 5 but it was clear to me which team was making tackles stick

Jroo

Yeah, I don't the tackling stats are of huge concern.
We're a high possession team, so if we have the ball we can't tackle the opposition.  ;)

Ricochet

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2014-04-07/two-more-for-maric

Richmond ruckman Ivan Maric will remain a Tiger until at least the end of the 2016 season after signing a two-year contract extension with the Club.

Nige

Toga

Great news, love ya Ivvy. Looking forwards to having him back on the park and see how the talls are organised when all are fit!

Vinny