Hickeylands

Started by ben_020285, March 21, 2014, 10:31:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ben_020285

With Longer not named in the round 1 side I am very strongly considering a Hickeylands setup.

Anybody else thinking about the same setup?

Thoughts FF community?

GCSkiwi

Hickilands has been suggested by a few, I've ended up running with it to pump cash into other lines... Also tough to call prem rucks this year so this lets me delay the call!

ben_020285

Quote from: GCSkiwi on March 21, 2014, 11:12:48 AM
Hickilands has been suggested by a few, I've ended up running with it to pump cash into other lines... Also tough to call prem rucks this year so this lets me delay the call!

Yeah I agree with the prem rucks call. Would probably go with Nic Nat if I chose to go with a prem ruck but obviously he is a risk.

Good to know someone else is going with Hickeylands. We can come back to this thread and have a sook together if it doesn't work out. I'm hoping we can come back to gloat!

GCSkiwi

It's definitely not just us - Ricochet said in another thread he's running the 3 pronged attack (Hickey, Sandi and HMac) which I considered but then didn't do and I'm already worried I made a bad call...

Tor01doc? RaisyDaisy? You guys were also thinking about this weren't you?

ben_020285

If one of Hickey or Sandi fails and I don't have enough cash to upgrade them then I will need to do a sideways trade in my fwd line to Dixon or Hale and then switch them with Thurlow to my FWD bench.

I think if you are going to run with Hickeylands without Hmac or similar on the bench then you need to use a RUC/FWD rookie on the bench in case of emergency.

quinny88

Yeah a bit dangerous considering there are no ruck rookies playing  >:(
I dont really understand the love for Hickey tbh. If I was going to go with a mid priced set up I would have gone either Hampson and Sandi or Hmac and Sandi. Happy to be proven wrong though

ben_020285

Quote from: quinny88 on March 21, 2014, 11:40:01 AM
I dont really understand the love for Hickey tbh. If I was going to go with a mid priced set up I would have gone either Hampson and Sandi or Hmac and Sandi. Happy to be proven wrong though

My reasoning is that Hickey is the number 1 ruck at the Saints and Longer isn't even in the team. Maric is number 1 at Richmond so when he returns it will have a major impact on Hampson's scoring. With HMac, he is contending with Simpson for the number 1 ruck spot and even Blicavs will play in the same side which we saw last night. I know HMac played a full game last night but he could easily be vested on and off for the whole year.

GCSkiwi

Longer will be back. I can't decide whether I would rather have Hampson or HMac on the bench (moot issue now). As far as cover is concerned, I'm just gonna risk it TBH. Hale/Dixon I don't see the point as I don't think they are keepers so would be using a trade on them anyways. I like the idea of HMac or Hampson on the bench as it means there is cover if needed, and then come bye time downgrading the bench player should provide more than enough cash to upgrade both the field players to top ruckmen... If they each go up ~100k then you have about 1.3mill worth of rucks, less 100k for a basement price rookie, thats 600k each for 2 rucks. Hoping some take a price hit and you might even have change.

The theory is amazing. Why didn't I do this????  :-[

quinny88

Quote from: ben_020285 on March 21, 2014, 11:46:55 AM

My reasoning is that Hickey is the number 1 ruck at the Saints and Longer isn't even in the team. Maric is number 1 at Richmond so when he returns it will have a major impact on Hampson's scoring. With HMac, he is contending with Simpson for the number 1 ruck spot and even Blicavs will play in the same side which we saw last night. I know HMac played a full game last night but he could easily be vested on and off for the whole year.

Yeah but Hickey is number 1 this week. He gets beaten and in comes Longer.
Hampson has atleast 6 weeks before Maric is back so will have made some great cash by the byes to upgrade to a premium.
And Hmac is ahead of Simpson. Ive said that for months. Simpson only played because Horlin-Smith was a late out.
I expect Hammer and Hmac to average around 90-100 up until the byes. Hickey im really not so sure.

Danzac

I'm locked into Hickeylands.
I'm deciding whether to keep a "just in case" 20k or not (for moving to Hmac/Hampson), but I have Hale FWD so maybe not

felsty

Quote from: quinny88 on March 21, 2014, 12:05:03 PM
Quote from: ben_020285 on March 21, 2014, 11:46:55 AM

Yeah but Hickey is number 1 this week. He gets beaten and in comes Longer.
Hampson has atleast 6 weeks before Maric is back so will have made some great cash by the byes to upgrade to a premium.
And Hmac is ahead of Simpson. Ive said that for months. Simpson only played because Horlin-Smith was a late out.
I expect Hammer and Hmac to average around 90-100 up until the byes. Hickey im really not so sure.
why would they have bought Simpson in for a midfielder in GHS if he was a late out? don't think its as simple as saying the only reason Simpson was in was because of that. It was obviously a lot to do with match ups, seeing whether they could gamble on Blicavs with the two ruckman and getting some ascendancy over what is a Jacobs-led ruck brigade without much help

Grufflez

The Sandilands cheap ruck combo boat sailed when Hampson played, Can't you all see that...last spotted sailing into the sunset with Bully aboard singing merrily ! ;D ;D ;D

FonFatty

Im going with this combo as well. My strategy here is Hickey to rise enough in price so that I can straight swap him for Nic Nat once he decreases in value, going on the theory that he will have a slow start.
For those doubting Hickey, they obviously haven't watched him play, saw a bit of him last year and one game in particular against Collingwood, he absolutely dominated, really saw enough there to suggest he is saints number 1 and possibly a reason why the saints decided to offload McEvoy. He wont score monster scores but mark my words he will consistently pump out 80ish scores which is enough to make some $$$ with him.
Im also doubting the prem rucks this year, rumours floating around Minson is struggling with a back injury, Goldstein might have some stiff competition with Currie/Daw, lueuy has Trent West helping him now which will effect his scoring, Ryder is a risky pick for that sort of coin, just have no confidence in any prem ruck. Therefore I am thinking Hickeylands combo can work well for the first part of the season, after Hickey has maxed in price it will be clear who is the dominant ruck and can jump on board. Hoping Nic Nat is the one though.

ben_020285

Quote from: FonFatty on March 21, 2014, 12:40:54 PM
Im going with this combo as well. My strategy here is Hickey to rise enough in price so that I can straight swap him for Nic Nat once he decreases in value, going on the theory that he will have a slow start.
For those doubting Hickey, they obviously haven't watched him play, saw a bit of him last year and one game in particular against Collingwood, he absolutely dominated, really saw enough there to suggest he is saints number 1 and possibly a reason why the saints decided to offload McEvoy. He wont score monster scores but mark my words he will consistently pump out 80ish scores which is enough to make some $$$ with him.
Im also doubting the prem rucks this year, rumours floating around Minson is struggling with a back injury, Goldstein might have some stiff competition with Currie/Daw, lueuy has Trent West helping him now which will effect his scoring, Ryder is a risky pick for that sort of coin, just have no confidence in any prem ruck. Therefore I am thinking Hickeylands combo can work well for the first part of the season, after Hickey has maxed in price it will be clear who is the dominant ruck and can jump on board. Hoping Nic Nat is the one though.

I love this post. Has filled me with a whole lot more confidence. Thanks mate.

RaisyDaisy

Hickeylands locked in over here for me too

Worst case scenario is that Hickey or Sandi goes down early - then I burn a trade and sideways to Hampson or HMac

Not putting up 600k for a ruck this year