WXV Round 1 - The GF Replay

Started by ossie85, March 10, 2014, 05:03:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ossie85

(Note: All European Premiership matches and Asian Premiership Matches are also EurAsian Premiership matches, and all Africonia Premiership Matches and Americas Premeirship Matches are also AAP Alliance Premiership Matches)

2 Partial Lock Outs and A Full Lockout

Friday night: Pies v Dockers

and next week
Thursday night: Cats v Crows
Friday night: Roos v Bombers

Round 1   Rivalry Round   AFL Round 1 (two partial lockouts)   Ground

Sao Paulo Pumas   v   Mexico City Suns   Colombia   Americas Premiership Match
Moscow Spetsnaz   v   Toronto Wolves   Myanmar   
Berlin Brewers   v   London Royals   Ukraine   European Premiership Match
Buenos Aires Armadillos   v   Cape Town Cobras   Ethiopia   AAP Alliance Premiership Match
New York Revolution   v   Pacific Islanders   Iran   AAP Alliance Premiership Match
Beijing Thunder   v   Wellington Warriors   Thailand   
PNL Reindeers   v   Seoul Magpies   Turkey   EurAsian Premiership Match
Dublin Destroyers   v   Cairo Sands   Dem. Rep. of Congo   
New Delhi Tigers   v   Tokyo Samurai   Pakistan   Asian Premiership Match

The obvious highlight is the Sao Paulo v Mexico City Grand Final re-match! These teams have faced each other in WXV matches 5 times (including 3 finals), with the Suns holding a 3-2 record over the Pumas. But the 160-150 victory to the Pumas in last year's GF will still burn the Suns, and amazingly this will be the 4th time in 5 matches the Suns will play the Pumas! (R17, QF, GF and R1). Conveniently located in Colombia - geographically between the two countries - this is a match all will tune into! Mexico City has a new coach in former Beijing coach JROO8, will this alter the style?

Moscow and Toronto have been finalists in 2012 and 2013, but have had disappointing results in August. Both teams will be looking to show some real improvement and make the league stand-up and take notice, and this is the definition of an 8-point match.

London looked set for finals in 2013 after a 6-2 record to begin the year (including victories over Moscow, Berlin and Dublin), but faded away badly to go 3-6 over the last 9 and miss out on the finals. Berlin looked out of the running after winning only 3 of 8 in the middle part of the season, before a 4-match winning streak saw them into the finals, and remarkably all the way to a top 4 finish. These two cities have a lot of history, and head to the Ukraine to continue a good rivalry.

Buenos Aires and Cape Town are the two teams that have gone closest to Premiership glory, without actually tasting it. Cape Town were the runner-up in 2012, before an early exit in 2013. While the Armadillos have lost twice in the Prelims (once to Cape Town, and one epically close encounter against the Pumas).

It will be the second time that New York and Pacific play in memory for New York's former player John McCarthy, with a cup in his name.

Beijing and Wellington have tracked together quite nicely - both finalists in 2012, both bottom 2 in 2013. 2014 promises to be hard seasons for both of them, and a win will set them up in good stead going forward.

PNL and Seoul score a lot of points, but not many wins. It wouldn't surprise me if this match was a draw.

Dublin and Cairo (Berlin aside) were the two most improved teams in 2013. So what better way to reward them by having them face off against each other in round 1.

New Delhi and Tokyo have been very low profile teams, and are looking at creating a lasting rivalry....

Ricochet

Quote from: ossie85 on March 10, 2014, 05:03:47 PM
New Delhi and Tokyo have been very low profile teams, and are looking at creating a lasting rivalry....
Until we win the Preseason Cup ;)

ossie85

Quote from: Ricochet on March 10, 2014, 05:05:46 PM
Quote from: ossie85 on March 10, 2014, 05:03:47 PM
Until we win the Preseason Cup ;)

Yep, score keepers still waiting on that one :P

Remember you have to nominate the new rule changes in advance, the rule thread has been updated for those wanting a refresher

Purple 77

Very excited once again to get the season underway, the WXVs is now miles ahead of SuperCoach in terms of fun and priority  :D

Nige

Quote from: Purple 77 on March 10, 2014, 05:42:09 PM
Very excited once again to get the season underway, the WXVs is now miles ahead of SuperCoach in terms of fun and priority  :D
XVs in general tbh. :P

CrowsFan

Purple 77

Quote from: NigeyS on March 10, 2014, 05:43:15 PM
Quote from: Purple 77 on March 10, 2014, 05:42:09 PM
XVs in general tbh. :P

#oneXVteamforlife

But yes definitely  8)

HintT

Will JBH's "indefinite overseas scouting trip" extend to the start of season?

If so, where/how do I post a team - in this thread?

ossie85

Quote from: HintT on March 10, 2014, 06:46:45 PM
Will JBH's "indefinite overseas scouting trip" extend to the start of season?

If so, where/how do I post a team - in this thread?

He should be back before season starts,  but yes this is the thread

Nige

CrowsFan

Way too confusing to try and work the loopholes this round with so many teams playing before the first partial lockout. But then at the same time I want to use it since it's a tough first up match... :-\

Nige

To go co-captains or not is killing me... mainly because Douglas would have been my option.  :(

CrowsFan

Quote from: NigeyS on March 11, 2014, 08:36:09 AM
To go co-captains or not is killing me... mainly because Douglas would have been my option.  :(
Surely go the VC loophole for this round?

I've only really got 4 or 5 first team players playing in the first week, so won't be doing much loopholing...

Nige

I'd have thought by now people would know I dislike the whole idea of loopholing.

Pick a captain (or captains) and stick with it.

Ricochet

Quote from: NigeyS on March 11, 2014, 05:52:08 PM
I'd have thought by now people would know I dislike the whole idea of loopholing.

Pick a captain (or captains) and stick with it.
I agree mate