Main Menu

Round 1 Discussion

Started by quinny88, March 10, 2014, 12:56:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quinny88

Saturday, March 15, 7.40pm
Metricon Stadium

Gold Coast V Richmond

Less that a week away now! Getting really excited/ nervous.
We have struggled with the Suns even when they were the "easy beats" and they are anything but that now. They are a serious finals contender now and this is a tough match. We have never played at Metricon, early weather predictions are for a humid day which will be like a wet weather game at night and we will be without our ruckman and Dan Jackson who would be suited to the conditions.

Its an early danger game to start the season and will be a long 2 weeks till we face Carlton if we lose first up.
We need to win these sort of games and should do but if we are sloppy or off by a few percent we will get rolled.

Whats everyones predictions and thoughts about the game?

Nige

I'm looking forward to this heaps.

I really think we're gonna have a good, strong rivalry with the Suns for years to come.

Particularly excited to see which new(er) guys are named and how the team shapes up.

We know that Donuts, Tank and Hammer will all play. Should be a good test!

Shall pray that we don't miss Ivvy and Jacko too much, I don't think we will... and will give the guys covering them (Hammer and Tank respectively) a chance to shine and prove something as recycled players at a new club (which, if history is anything to go by, should work out pretty nicely ;D).

Jroo

I can't wait  ;D
Hopefully we win, but it won't be easy.
I don't think Grimes will play, while I'm not sure Jackson will be 100%, so Astbury and Thomas must play.
McDonough will play, while Lloyd is also a chance.

Kellogscrunchynut

Really struggling to keep up with your nicknames Nige, who is Donuts.

Nige

Quote from: Kellogscrunchynut on March 10, 2014, 04:56:29 PM
Really struggling to keep up with your nicknames Nige, who is Donuts.
McDonough, I'll thank Nick (nickstiges) for that haha.  :P

Should make a thread with our list and their nicknames.  ;)

Toga

Go McDonough! :D

Looking forwards to Round 1!!

nickstiges

Jackson ruled out according to that HS article about Matt Thomas so that spices things up quite a bit.
Always like watching Gaz play, maybe not so much this week though (good for fantasy this week at least).

In terms of the conditions, it's can't be too much different than the Gabba and we've played well there in recent times. Tipping us to win, excited for footy but not too confident.

quinny88

Quote from: nickstiges on March 10, 2014, 07:52:15 PM
Jackson ruled out according to that HS article about Matt Thomas so that spices things up quite a bit.
Always like watching Gaz play, maybe not so much this week though (good for fantasy this week at least).

In terms of the conditions, it's can't be too much different than the Gabba and we've played well there in recent times. Tipping us to win, excited for footy but not too confident.

As far as the conditions go, Goldcoast is only an hour away from Brisbane but the problem is that its just the end of Summer and going to be a humid day so will be very slippery. This will suit them alot more as its what they have trained in all pre season. Not an excuse but we need to adapt to it quickly and cant afford to be sloppy.

Rusty00

Quote from: JROO8 on March 10, 2014, 11:07:52 AM
I can't wait  ;D
Hopefully we win, but it won't be easy.
I don't think Grimes will play, while I'm not sure Jackson will be 100%, so Astbury and Thomas must play.
McDonough will play, while Lloyd is also a chance.
Doesn't Thomas need to be upgraded first? or is that someone else I'm thinking of?

Edit: Just saw the article about him likely to be upgraded ;)

Nige

Injury list as of today.

Player    Injury    Expected return date
Jake Batchelor    Corked calf    Test
Matt Dea    Ankle    Available
Daniel Jackson    Hamstring    1 week
Ben Lennon    Knee    1 week
Ivan Maric    Ankle    5-6 weeks

nickstiges

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-03-11/tigers-upgrade-duo

Thomas and Big O upgraded.

Good to see Newy given the all clear on his knee and taken off the injury list.
Grimes must be fit too, surprisingly haven't seen much chatter about him for Round 1, has Astbury taken his place?

Nige

I guess we'll find out soon, but if Grimes is fit, you'd think we'd play him Round 1.  ???

Jroo

Quote from: NigeyS on March 11, 2014, 04:42:19 PM
I guess we'll find out soon, but if Grimes is fit, you'd think we'd play him Round 1.  ???
Hmm, if Grimes isn't 100% it's better to go with Astbury, who was good against Essendon or even Big O (this would allow Griff to play down back, Hampson up forward and O as our ruckman, but I'm not a massive fan, as Griff is a fwd IMO and Hampson is our #1 with Maric out).

Nige

I'd prefer Hammer in the ruck, Griff down back (or forward, has a big kick) and Orren can help out Hammer and share the load.

nickstiges

Not sure if we can play Hampson, O, Griffiths & Vickery in the same team, who would miss out?