Grimes vs Swallow

Started by Bully, March 01, 2014, 02:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bully

Can't decide but my hunch is telling me to go with Grimes given he's got a proven track record with scoring tons and Melbourne's early draw is reasonably soft. His bye structure is also appealing.

However, his injury record is a bit disturbing and Swallow is Mr Reliable when it comes to playing. What do the masses think?

RaisyDaisy

Pass on both for me

Cant see either of them averaging 90-95+, and with 4 new premo defenders there is no chance these guys finish the season as a top 10 def, and would be a waste of a trade to upgrade them when you can just spend a bit more from the get go and get a premium, but that's just my opinion

Bully

Simply don't have the cash to go higher. I have Mitchell, Simpson, Hurn, Suckling & McDonald, and Grimes & Swallow are the only players who appeal in the price range.

enzedder

Voted Grimes. Don't worry about injuries...he can string games together. McLean's tackle and weight was a legitimate impact injury that could have happened to anyone. That aside he has played consistently over the last two seasons. Can score very well. Swallow scored well in a few games towards the end of 2013 but hasn't done enough for me to pick him.

Marstar

Quote from: Bully on March 01, 2014, 02:58:42 PM
Can't decide but my hunch is telling me to go with Grimes ...

SC rule No.3: Always go with your gut. 

BoredSaint

neither look that appealing for me. Both sit at an awkward price of being in between a keeper and a midpricer and don't see much upside in either of them. Would rather birchall at a similar price

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: Bully on March 01, 2014, 03:19:34 PM
Simply don't have the cash to go higher. I have Mitchell, Simpson, Hurn, Suckling & McDonald, and Grimes & Swallow are the only players who appeal in the price range.

Curious to see the rest of your team to see if any tweaks can be made to free up a little cash to get a better defender in

Your going to have to upgrade Suckling and McDonald, probably don't want to have to do 3 upgrades in the backs this year

enzedder

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on March 01, 2014, 03:35:50 PM

Curious to see the rest of your team to see if any tweaks can be made to free up a little cash to get a better defender in

Your going to have to upgrade Suckling and McDonald, probably don't want to have to do 3 upgrades in the backs this year
That's not such a worry as you can do multiple trades at the same time now....could trade out a cashed up mid rookie+ a mid priced defender and bring in a premium defender and a cheap mid rookie no problem. Not like the bad old days of one trade at a time.

tor01doc

Quote from: Marstar on March 01, 2014, 03:24:12 PM

Marstar, pray tell what are SC rules No.1 and 2?

My guess is get Ablett as No.1 and Pendles as No. 2.

dmac07

Personally id go a mcveigh/hanley/hibberd and r.shaw over hurn and grimes/swallow combo, you may get similar points, but id take 100+70=170 compared to 85+85=170 as your left with one less upgrade to make.. But to pick from the two id go with grimes.

Bully

Quote from: BoredSaint on March 01, 2014, 03:30:34 PM
neither look that appealing for me. Both sit at an awkward price of being in between a keeper and a midpricer and don't see much upside in either of them. Would rather birchall at a similar price

Disagree on upside, Grimes has the potential to go 90+ if he gets a good run with injury.

Score from round 17 2012 to round 5 2013 were -

138, 83, 110, 101, 115, 103, 97, 122, 80, 83, 120, 93

Avg = 103

I wouldn't predict a 100+ average but I think a 90+ average isn't beyond the realms of possibility.

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on March 01, 2014, 03:35:50 PM

Team currently is -

Mitchell, Simpson, Hurn, Grimes/Swallow, Suckling, McDonald, (Clurey, Langford)

Ablett, Watson, Cotchin, Beams, Daisy, Tyson, Michie, Polec (Ellis, Dunstan)

Cox, Sandilands (Thurlow, King)

Danger, Martin, Pavlich, Caddy, Higgins, Rohan (Kennedy-Harris, Ben Brown)

Note: If no forward rookies materialise and Thurlow gets a gig, I'll be playing him as a DPP back-up and using the emergency loophole. I may upgrade King to a playing ruck if one happens to be named.

RaisyDaisy

Hmmmm No Pendles huh

It seems like going with quite a few mid pricers is stopping you from getting a premo defender, and in fact looking to get yet another mid pricer

I understand your doing it because theres not enough rookies available - downgrading Daisy to a M10 rookie would free up cash to turn grimes/swallow into a premo, and probably Caddy into a premo after downgrading Higgins to Fasolo, rookie etc

Just an idea, but I too am finding myself in the position of picking up a few mid pricers, and I am now looking to avoid them if possible, because tell me over the past year or so how many mid pricers actually turn into something decent and being worthwhile? JJK is the only one that comes to mind, although there might be one more or so I might be forgetting

Lack of def and fwd rookies are making things so hard

Bully

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on March 01, 2014, 04:22:46 PM
Hmmmm No Pendles huh

It seems like going with quite a few mid pricers is stopping you from getting a premo defender, and in fact looking to get yet another mid pricer

I understand your doing it because theres not enough rookies available - downgrading Daisy to a M10 rookie would free up cash to turn grimes/swallow into a premo, and probably Caddy into a premo after downgrading Higgins to Fasolo, rookie etc

Just an idea, but I too am finding myself in the position of picking up a few mid pricers, and I am now looking to avoid them if possible, because tell me over the past year or so how many mid pricers actually turn into something decent and being worthwhile? JJK is the only one that comes to mind, although there might be one more or so I might be forgetting

Lack of def and fwd rookies are making things so hard

The problem with upgrading Caddy is that I'm not convinced a Mitchell/ Parker & Fasolo combo will provide the extra points, nor the job security one requires in the forward line. Higgins is easily in the best 22, and will more than likely take on the rebounding role until Murphy returns.

The mids are another area of concern, if I downgrade Daisy I'm left with fringe players or first year rookies. Roberton may or may not get early games, Crouch is in the same category. Beams is another whose JS is questionable.

Marstar

Quote from: tor01doc on March 01, 2014, 03:51:01 PM
Quote from: Marstar on March 01, 2014, 03:24:12 PM

Marstar, pray tell what are SC rules No.1 and 2?

My guess is get Ablett as No.1 and Pendles as No. 2.

Lol yes SC rule no.1 (for the last many seasons) has been Ablett related. Be it default Captain or 1st pick in team.  Pendles may have been added in there too now.

SC rule no.2 :  Don't rate your team (or others) based on the rookies they think might play round1. Rate it after you've filled it with rookies selected for round 1.

SC rule no.4 has to do with sideways trading premiums round 2.

I'm sure the list goes on :P

HotTiges

I have Hurn and Swallow at d3 and d4.i have 216k to upgrade.Swallow in line for the chop