Potential Starting team

Started by SilentBob, February 28, 2014, 02:10:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilentBob

Here is a side that is much more like what my round 2 side might look like (I previously posted a team for the 'free hit' in round 1). What do you think of it?

Aims: 'Set & forget' rucks & using Sandi as a cash cow (not sure of his durability); Some premos in other lines, with some value picks in Def & Fwd who can hopefully improve on averages from last year. Few Def rooks on offer, so Def a bit more 'top heavy'.
Have some cash spare to accommodate changes (rookies not set, particularly bench)

Def: S.Mitchell, N.Malceski, D.Swallow, J.Watts, M.Suckling, L.McDonald (J.Laidler, A.Georgiou)
Mid: G.Ablett, T.Rockliff, T.Liberatore, D.Beams, B.Vince, V.Michie, X.Ellis, J.Polec (B.Jack, M.Honeychurch)
Ruc: D.Cox, M.Lobbe (A.Sandilands, F.Thurlow)
Fwd: P.Dangerfield, T.Mitchell, C.Wingard, M.Pavlich, L.Dahlhaus, G.Rohan (S.Kersten, D.Markworth)
Remaining: $75,100

R.Griffen

Defenders: Only really 1 gun Malceski can be up and down sometimes.
Midfielders: Midfield maybe be a bit week with Vince at 5
Ruckman: Sandilands has been killing it if he scores 100 in the first week you are $200,000 behind the 8ball with Cox/Lobbe
Forwards: I'm not sure if Dahlhaus is a dreamteam player he doesn't get enough of the ball at occasions

SilentBob

Quote from: R.Griffen on February 28, 2014, 10:18:08 AM
Defenders: Only really 1 gun Malceski can be up and down sometimes.
Midfielders: Midfield maybe be a bit week with Vince at 5
Ruckman: Sandilands has been killing it if he scores 100 in the first week you are $200,000 behind the 8ball with Cox/Lobbe
Forwards: I'm not sure if Dahlhaus is a dreamteam player he doesn't get enough of the ball at occasions

Thanks for the comments.

Malceski & defence - yes, Malceski can be a little inconsistent at times, but he's the go-to guy in the Sydney backline, averaged 90+ last year & has been in the top scorers for Sydney in the pre-season, so can see him being one of the top scoring defenders again for 2014. Others in defence (other than Mitchell) are there for Value - yes, Swallow, Watts & Suckling might not punch out huge scores, but I can definitely see them scoring above their 2013 averages, so are easier to upgrade later in the season. Also doesn't seem to be too many solid rookies in defence this year (and a few like Scharenberg are injured), so not many early season downgrade targets.

Vince & Mids - Vince looked fantastic in NAB 1 & should get much more of the ball at Melbourne than he did at Adelaide, so thinking he is another (like Beams) who is underpriced & a potential keeper. Happy to have more mid rookies, as these are the rookies that typically score the most, so generate the most cash quickly ... and cash means updgrades, which means points.

Rucks: Yes, Sandi has started well & has the potential to score big, but as I said, I don't trust his durability, so using him as a cash cow rather than a points scorer - if he is your R1 or R2 & gets injured in round 3, how do you replace him without needing to find a lot of extra cash, or sacrificing lots of points? Can see Cox & Lobbe being high scorers throughout the season as largely solo rucks at their club (and Cox still scores well when NicNat plays).

Dahlhaus & fwds: I'm hoping for this to be a 'breakout' year for Dahlhaus. He's had a number of comparisons with Gary Jnr & his early role as a small forward at Geelong, plus he's improving his consistency & in particular his tackling numbers in pre-season have been very good, so he's able to score even without having the ball, which is a good sign. In short, he's a bit of a speculative pick, but hoping he can improve on his 2013 average & push towards a 90+ average this year. I think other forwards are reasonably solid, with Mitchell & Wingard hopefully continuing to improve & Pav underpriced this year.

I also have a bit of cash left over, so there's potential to change a few players around without having to make drastic changes.