noob first attempt

Started by MrB, February 22, 2014, 02:14:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrB

Hi All,

This is my first attempt at ever ddoing dream team.

Any feedback would be appreciated

Back: Mackie, burgoyn, vlastin, watson, may, wright (byrne, j tippett)

Mid: Ablett, swan, chapman, hodge, wellingham, shuey, kommer, jetta (cowen, greenwood)

Ruck: Cox, Sandilands (holmes, lowden)

Front: Franklin, roughead kennedy, dangerfield, goodes, elliot (curran, ohanlon)

Bank $600

As you see there are no starters on the bench so I can capitalize on the field... not sure if ifs a good move or not?

seeds40

I can definately tell it's your first ever attempt :P
Don't take that as an offence, we were all like this first off.

First thing i notice is your emergencies, none of them are likely to play, and that is where your cash is generated, so i know as tempting as it seems to go cheap as chips on the bench, you do need to spend to get some players that are playing so they can make you money for future upgrades.. il give you some options for each part of the field for decent rookies that should play.

DEF: Fuller, Laidler, L.Mcdonald, K.Kolodjashnij, Howard
MID: Polec, X.Ellis, Michie, Tyson
RUCK: Nankervis, Thurlow, Currie
FWD: J. Kenedy-harris, Markworth, Kersten

that should get you started with rookies.

Now for your team structure, each position you should be looking to have a good balance of premos-rookies so for example, try to stick to a guideline such as this:

DEF: Premo, Premo, Potential Premo, Mid pricer, Rookie, Rookie (rookie, rookie)
MID: premo, premo, premo, potential premo, mid pricer, rookie, rookie, rookie (rookie, rookie)
RUCK: premo, mid pricer (rookie, rookie)
FWD: premo, premo, potential premo, mid pricer, rookie, rookie (rookie, rookie)

that may not be the ''perfect'' structure, but who knows what is at this stage, that's just something to stick to. Players like may, wright, kommer, jetta etc i don't think will be good picks btw.

Good luck mate

MrB

Mr.Craig

Have a look at some of the other teams that have been posted and you'll get a better feel for it.

Braxtonators

Get your structure set out - much like Seeds said.

Don't be afraid to have some rookies on the field.  By the end of NAB you should have some ideas of which rookies will get game time.  Also, make sure that you check out the round 1 teams - and be ready to shuffle based on who is and who isn't picked. 

I remember 'rookie research' being one of the biggest things I learnt in my first year.   Also just because a player that you have watched is a good player for their team - doesn't necessarily mean they are a good player for fantasy eg. Daniel Merrett for the Lions.

And don't be afraid to ask questions or read topics on here.  You are already steps ahead of most people because you are on this site!

Good luck

MrB

Cheers for the help... I was pressured into doing dream team by work mates and didn't realise there was so much involved.

@seeds40 - How dose having people on the the bench who get games help you earn money?

greendayz

As the players on your bench get game time they go up in value from week to week based on how many DT points that they score. When they have played around 8 - 10 games they should have increased to their maximum value, which could be anywhere between 250K to 430K depending on how successful they have being. At this point you trade them for another rookie who is starting to get a bit of game time and earn yourself some extra cash. i.e You're trading out a player worth approx 350K for a player worth 115K and earning an extra 235K. You can then us this to extra cash to upgrade another player or trade elsewhere within your team.  :)

MrB

Quote from: greendayz on February 22, 2014, 10:17:49 PM
As the players on your bench get game time they go up in value from week to week based on how many DT points that they score. When they have played around 8 - 10 games they should have increased to their maximum value, which could be anywhere between 250K to 430K depending on how successful they have being. At this point you trade them for another rookie who is starting to get a bit of game time and earn yourself some extra cash. i.e You're trading out a player worth approx 350K for a player worth 115K and earning an extra 235K. You can then us this to extra cash to upgrade another player or trade elsewhere within your team.  :)

Cheers for that

Braxtonators

Couple of other hints.

- Try not to sideways trade (aka Rage trade) - If a premium has a bad game, and another premium has been killing it - look to upgrade a rookie to the new premium rather than 'sideways' trading, premium to premium.

- With your bench players and rookies earning cash (as Seeds outlined) - view them as trading and money earning pieces - don't get too attached to them.  Ideally you want a team full of 'Premiums' by the end of the year (if not before) - Rookie players always tend to hit the 'Rookie Wall' at some stage.

- I had a friend that joined DT because of work pressure - he knew very little about AFL, but knew about business and 'trading'.  Learn about 'Break Evens' and use them to trade rookies (and mid-pricers) like you would with shares - if they are going up, keep them; if they are about to lose money, try to trade them and upgrade!

That should help I think

SilentBob

Some other considerations:

As mentioned above, you want players who score points - purely based on stats for things like kicks, marks, tackles, etc - not necessarily 'good players'.

Players who have dual position (eg: Chapman, Hodge) are probably best put in their non-mid position (eg: Hodge in Def; Chapman in Fwd) because mids tend to be the higher scoring positions (ball spends more time there, so players who are there can gain more point-scoring stats). Your mids should mostly be pure midfields, as they will normally be the higher scoring players. If you can get a forward or defender who is effectively a mid, then you've basically got an extra high-scoring player in your team!

You need rookies to make money, so that by the end of the season (actually ASAP from the start of the season) you have a team full of premium players who can score big points regularly.

Other advice given about team structure, playing rookies, trades, etc is worth following!