Main Menu

Nab challenge putting me to sleep

Started by quinny88, February 18, 2014, 10:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quinny88

Just wanted to get peoples thoughts on the new format of the pre season this year.

7 games in now and ive gotta say.. Im not a fan.
Players can look disinterested during the pre season games at the best of times but this is a whole new level.
Im sure one of the main reasons for the AFL bringing in the new format was that only a handful of teams took it seriously and the rest didnt care. Now its even worse. Even the commentators are happy to chat along about anything other than the game. Its a snore.

I have never been a fan of any of the pre season comps. To be honest I would rather they just didnt bother. Would build far more excitement for round 1 with new players being seen for the first time, having no idea of where clubs are at or how they have changed in the off season.

What do you guys think? Do they need to mix it up again or just get rid of it all together?

Ricochet

Get rid of it and make the season longer by a couple of weeks. And have a general bye in the middle to break it up/give the players a rest.

Only part I like is the opportunity for teams to try rookies or players in other possies.

Mr.Craig

Would I prefer a longer regular season? Yes. But there a number of very good reasons why the pre season competition should exist - exposing young players to quality opposition and allowing them to prove they are worthy of a senior spot, giving coaches a chance to trial new strategies against opponents, spreading the game to suburban and regional areas which generates money for local communities and allows people to see AFL football when they may not get an opportunity otherwise. The media exposure created by the games gives teams the chance to further grow their supporter base and membership numbers. Not to mention the benefits to fantasy coaches.

Ringo

Agree with Mr Craig here.  However I think the pre-season aspect needs a total refurbishment.  At the moment would not surprise if NAB reviewed their sponsorship as their is no trophy to give them publicity.
Do not like the first round played over 2 weeks either. Clubs also need the competition to see youngsters and rookies in a competitive atmosphere.

I would like to see a preseason knock out comp played throughout Australia over 4 weeks. (Will not happen because Fox will want to have their game a night presumably).

As a suggestion for 2015

Week one - 9 knock out matches leaving 9 teams. From Sunday 8th -  Monday 16th February  (All games to played in regional areas over 9 consecutive nights)

Week 2 Winning Teams ranked by %  from knock out rounds
Saturday 21st February Teams 8&9 play off for position 8 in quarter finals
1. Sunday 22nd February Team 4 v Team 5
2  Monday 23rd February Team 3 v Team 6
3. Wednesday 25th February Team 2 v Team 7
4. Friday 27th February Team 1 v Team 8

Week 3 Semi Finals -
Wednesday 4th March Winner Match 2 v Winner Match 3
Thursday 5th March Winner Match 1 v Winner Match 4

Week 4 Final -
Wednesday 11th March - 2 winners clash.

Will be a mid week ratings bonanza for whoever has the free to air rights for quarters, semis and finals.  Not all fans have Pay or cable to observe rookies.

AFL Season to start the following week.

My thoughts following this years yawn fest.

Nige

Quote from: Mr.Craig on February 19, 2014, 02:04:08 AM
Would I prefer a longer regular season? Yes. But there a number of very good reasons why the pre season competition should exist - exposing young players to quality opposition and allowing them to prove they are worthy of a senior spot, giving coaches a chance to trial new strategies against opponents, spreading the game to suburban and regional areas which generates money for local communities and allows people to see AFL football when they may not get an opportunity otherwise. The media exposure created by the games gives teams the chance to further grow their supporter base and membership numbers. Not to mention the benefits to fantasy coaches.
This answer is great and sums up basically everything I was gonna say when I read the OP.

I'll just add a little.

I've never loved the pre-season competition/challenge/cup... whatever. :P However, as Craig pointed out, it is kinda good for business as well as for people like you and me as fantasy coaches. Yes, there's the chance a player may go down with an injury (see: George Burbury), but at the same time, I rather see my club play some games before the season proper and get feel for how the team looks, what the coaches plans are, and potentially getting a taste of what is to come.

That probably made zero sense, carry on.

kilbluff1985

i don't see the issue any Footy is better then no Footy

Toga

Footy is footy, I like the NAB Challenge/Cup because I get to watch footy a month earlier than I would otherwise :P

valkorum

The other issue is that the clubs and players want a pre-season schedule so they can get some match fitness before the real season starts.

Nige

Quote from: Toga on February 19, 2014, 09:54:51 AM
Footy is footy, I like the NAB Challenge/Cup because I get to watch footy a month earlier than I would otherwise :P
Some of us don't get to watch.  :'(

Toga

You can watch em online afterwards Nige!

Nige

Quote from: Toga on February 19, 2014, 01:05:41 PM
You can watch em online afterwards Nige!
Nothing like the live stuff.  :P

ossie85

^ love your idea Ringo, if we had to have one. Great format.

But generally I think get rid of it altogether if they aren't playing for anything.

kilbluff1985

Quote from: ossie85 on February 19, 2014, 01:21:20 PM

But generally I think get rid of it altogether if they aren't playing for anything.

some are playing for spots

Jroo

ossie85

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on February 19, 2014, 01:29:42 PM
Quote from: ossie85 on February 19, 2014, 01:21:20 PM

some are playing for spots

They can play for spots in intra-club matches.