Main Menu

WXV 2014 Preview

Started by Jroo, February 14, 2014, 11:59:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jroo

Looking forward to the 2014 WXV season, I'll preview each team's season, giving you my prediction of where they'll finish on the ladder, as well as going through their key players and young guns.

Beijing Thunder, coached by Toga and Master Q.
Best XV
D: H.Taylor, Yeo, M.Talia, Hooker
M: D.Stanley, Wines, Rosa, Shiels
R: Kreuzer
F: Caddy, Betts, Mayes, Varcoe
U: Grundy, Neale

Position last season: 17th
Notable Inclusions: D.Stanley, Aish
Key Player: Harry Taylor - Taylor is one of the few club's stars, so the gun defender must score well if Beijing are to win games this year. Along with Kreuzer, Taylor gives coaches Toga and Master Q another choice when selecting their captain each week.
Young Gun: James Aish - the highly rated youngster was the club's first selection in the draft and he was selected highly for a reason, he has plenty of talent and will get plenty of senior football for Beijing this year.

Prediction: A tough year ahead for Beijing, but it's all about developing their youngsters. They're a few years away, of being competitive for the top eight, as they lack stars in the midfield and defence, but they have plenty of promising youngsters who'll push this club forward.
Verdict: 18th (last)

Berlin Brewers, coached by Purple 77.
Best XV
D: Hibberd, J.Grimes, Duffield, Garland
M: Fyfe, J.Steven, Wells, Jackson
R: Gawn
F: J K Kennedy, Zorko, J.Garlett, M.Clark
U: J.Trengrove, Conca

Position last season: 4th
Notable Inclusions: Fyfe, J K Kennedy, Duffield, Viney, Zorko

A big year needed for Jack Steve, as he's vital to Berlin.

Key Player: Jack Steven - a big year is needed by the young star. After a good year in 2013, Steven will look to go to the next level in 2014, which is needed if Berlin is to achieve success.
Young Gun: Jack Viney - Viney will be looking to improve again, as he looks to cement his spot in the club's best XV.

Prediction: A fairly strong team, apart from the ruck department. They don't have amazing depth, but have plenty of young promising players who will push this side forward. The side is still pretty young, with a few captain options, but I think they're a little way off the top teams.
Verdict: 7th

Buenos Aires Armadillos, coached by Nails.
Best XV
D: S D. Thompson, Burgoyne, Scotland, Gilbert
M: Swan, S.Johnson, Boyd, Barlow
R: Cox
F: Petrie, Chapman, Harvey, Hale
U: Cornes, Kelly

Position last season: 3rd
Notable Inclusions: Kelly, Hale
Key Player: Scott D. Thompson - Thompson is vital for the Armadillos, as he's their star defender so he must remain fit and firing.
Young Gun: Jarryd Lyons - Lyons will continue to develop and may even make an appearance in the club's XV during the year, which could increase his value, which would allow Nails to trade him for an older player later in the year.

Prediction: Obviously this team isn't young, with most of the best XV over 30 years old. But that doesn't mean they won't perform, as there's plenty of stars and they will certainly be pushing for the WXVS Premiership.
Verdict: 3rd

Cairo Sands, coached by MajorLazer and NigeyS.
Best XV
D: Hanley, Malceski, B.Goodes, C.Pearce
M: D.Beams, Prestia, Douglas, Hutchings
R: Mumford
F: Breust, Puopolo, Knights, Dickson
U: Carrazzo, B.Smith

Position last season: 6th
Notable Inclusions: Prestia, B.Smith, Carrazzo, Dunstan
Key Player: Dayne Beams - Beams must stay fit this year, after last year missing most of the season, which hurt Cario's premiership hopes. Looking good so far, this preseason.
Young Gun: Luke Dunstan - Dunstan will be a star and should be given plenty of opportunity this year by both the Saints and Sands.

Prediction: They will definitely be in contention for the top eight, as they have a few stars, but depth could be a problem in some positions, such as up forward. Beams must stay fit if they're any chance of making the top eight and their star forward Breust must keep scoring well.
Verdict: 9th

Cape Town Cobras, coached by My Chumps.
Best XV
D: O'Shea, B.Reid, Pittard, Guthrie
M: Cotchin, J P Kennedy, D.Thomas, O'Keefe
R: Z.Smith
F: Hawkins, J.Cameron, Darling, Higgins
U: Cooney, Tyson

Position last season: 7th
Notable Inclusions: Darling, B.Reid, Tyson
Key Player: Trent Cotchin - after a down year in 2013, Cotch will need to bounce back in 2014, as he'll be used as the captain a lot during the year, for the Cobras, so he must produce some big scores. 
Young Gun: Matt Crouch - the younger brother of Brad, is also a ball magnet like his brother, but I'm not expecting a lot of senior action for Matt this year, as he'll be given time to work on his flaws and develop.

Prediction: I think the Cobras will fall out of the eight this year, as even though they have a decent young team, there are a few problems. There's not a lot of depth, which will hurt if they get injuries. Ruck stocks aren't very strong, especially with Zac Smith missing the start of the season. The back four are also inexperienced and unless one or two of them have a breakout year, it will be hard for this side to make the finals.
Verdict: 12th

Dublin Destroyers, coached by Holzman.
Best XV
D: Birchall, Rance, R.Murphy, Hansen
M: J.Selwood, Watson, Rockliff, Mundy
R: Goldstein
F: Franklin, Walters, Dixon, Gray
U: Boak, Dal Santo

Position last season: 9th
Notable Inclusions: Rockliff, Franklin, Watson, Dixon, Birchall, Walters
Key Player: Lance Franklin - head coach Holzman paid a lot for Franklin, so he needs to have a massive year and he can't afford to many miss games through injury and suspension.
Young Gun: Daniel Markworth - he's yet to debut, but that will change this year, as once he gets over his injury troubles he'll be a good player and is outside chance to play senior football for the Destroyers. He should get plenty of opportunity in the reserves, though.

Prediction: they'll be big improves and I believe they can go all the way this season. Holzman has traded this team into a powerhouse, brining in plenty of stars (but losing some in the process) and this team is still fairly young, unlike the other top teams, so they could be around the top for many years to come. The midfield really stands out, as there are six guns, who are all capable of playing as the captain, if needed.
Verdict: 1st

London Royals, coached by Ringo.
Best XV
D: Lumumba, Mackie, Broadbent, Reilly
M: Stanton, McVeigh, Hannebery, D.Pearce
R: Bellchambers
F: Mayne, S.Edwards, Winderlich, J.Brown
U: Mackay, Staker

Position last season: 10th
Notable Inclusions: S.Edwards, Matera, Lennon
Key Player: Brent Stanton - the club's best captain option, who must perform consistently if the Royals are to do well this season.

A big year ahead for Menzel.

Young Gun: Troy Menzel - the talented youngster, who'll make his way into the XV at some stage this year is my pick to have a big year for the Royals.

Prediction: This isn't going to be an easy year for London, especially with ruckman Bellchambers missing the first month of the year. The midfield is lacking, but there are a few stars in Stanton, McVeigh and Hannebery who must stand up.
Verdict: 14th

Mexico City Suns, coached by JROO8.
Best XV
D: Bartel, Hodge, Adcock, Hurn
M: Goddard, Sidebottom, Ebert, Lewis
R: Maric
F: N.Riewoldt, Pavlich, Crameri, A.Goodes
U: Moloney, S.Thompson

Position last season: 2nd
Notable Inclusions: Pavlich, Yarran
Key Player: Brendon Goddard - With Mexico City not having many captain options, Goddard must have a big year, as he'll be used as captain a lot throughout the year.
Young Gun: Tom Curren - Mexico City are pleased with Curren's progress and he's looming as a breakout candidate. There's a good chance that he'll break his way into the club's best XV this year.

Prediction: a solid team, with plenty of guns, but they lack a star captain option and are one gun forward short. Nonetheless, you can't write off a champion team and they will still push for Premiership glory, as they should still finish in the top four, which will give them a good chance.
Verdict: 4th

Moscow Spetsnaz, coached by Jukes and Torpedo10.
Best XV
D: H.Shaw, Seedsman, Vlastuin, Dunn
M: Griffen, O'Meara, Heppell, Ward
R: Naitanui
F: D.Martin, Monfries, Vickery, Hogan
U: Z.Clarke, J.Thomas

Position last season: 5th
Notable Inclusions: O'Meara, Hogan, Heppell, Sheed
Key Player: Ryan Griffen - the club's star player who must continue to perform like he did last year for Moscow to be any chance of making the top four.
Young Gun: Jesse Hogan - looks ready for senior footy in 2014 and will get plenty of games in Moscow's forward line.

Prediction: A youthful team, but there are still plenty of stars. Griffen and Nic Nat are key players who must stay fit for Moscow to do well. Another season where Moscow will push for top four, but in 2014, will they take the next step?
Verdict: 5th

Jroo

New Delhi Tigers, coached by Ricochet and Elephants.
Best XV
D: Mullett, Stratton, D.Talia, Webster
M: Montagna, Bastinac, Duncan, Wellingham
R: Hampson
F: Murdoch, Giansiracusa, Podsiadly, Palmer
U: Gaff, Greene

Position last season: 15th
Notable Inclusions: Duncan, Greene, Gaff, Hampson, Savage
Key Player: Leigh Montagna - the club's clear star and captain must keep performing for New Delhi to win games this year.

Murdoch must stand up as New Delhi need him desperately, up forward.

Young Gun: Jordan Murdoch - the club's #1 forward must improve again this year, as they don't have the strongest forward line, with plenty of experienced players up forward, so he must lead this rebuild.

Prediction: A mixture of young and old players, but this team is a fair way off competing for the top 8. Apart from their midfielders, the team is lacking, but they youngsters will continue to develop and help improve this team.
Verdict: 16th

New York Revolution, coached by pyronerd.
Best XV
D: Dempsey, J.Gibson, T.McKenzie, Atley
M: Liberatore, Armitage, Stokes, Treloar
R: Pyke
F: Cloke, Black, Sipposs, McKernan
U: Bennell, Christensen

Position last season: 11th
Notable Inclusions: Treloar, Nicholls, Armitage, Stokes, McDonald, Kolodjashnij
Key Player: Travis Cloke - New York are lacking forwards, but they do have Cloke who's a star. He could even be used as the captain, as he does have the ability to kick big bags of goals.
Young Gun: Luke McDonald - Youngster taken with the club's second pick in the draft ahead of Kolodjashnij, but I think he'll make a bigger impact this year. Could be used in the XV if needed, this year.

Prediction: The team is solid, but lacking up forward, with Sipposs and McKernan starting, which isn't what you want. They should be looking to push for finals contention. There's plenty of youngsters in this team who are yet to reach their peak, so don't be surprised to see them push up the ladder, but maybe not this year.
Verdict: 11th

Pacific Islanders, coached by Jayman and Tbagrocks.
Best XV
D: Terlich, Mohr, Spurr, Johannisen
M: Redden, J.Martin, M.Grigg, S.Gibson
R: Leuenberger
F: T.Mitchell, Howlett, Blair, de Boer
U: Elliott, L.Thomas

Position last season: 16th
Notable Inclusions: Redden, Spurr, L.Thomas
Key Player: Jack Redden - their star midfielder, who must perform for Pacific to push up the ladder. Jayman and Tbag paid a lot for him, so they will be expecting a lot from the captain option.
Young Gun: Jack Martin - the most exciting young prospect in the land will get plenty of opportunities this year and is already in the club's best XV, which says a lot about him.

Prediction: A good young side, who will only get better. Plenty of young stars such as Martin, Mitchell and Grigg who'll lead this team to success in the future, so it's all about developing him.
Verdict: 15th

PNL Reindeers, coached by Hellopplz.
Best XV
D: Simpson, Harbrow, Enright, M.Williams
M: Priddis, Rich, Ball, N.Jones
R: Lobbe
F: Wingard, Westhoff, Rioli, T.T. Lynch
U: Shiel, Myers

Position last season: 13th
Notable Inclusions: Enright, Dawes
Key Player: Matt Priddis - the club's star midfielder who'll be used as the captain through the year, so he must keep scoring consistently.
Young Gun: Jack Billings - there's huge wraps on this kid, but in a star-studded PNL forward line, don't expect him to get a lot of senior action, but he'll be important in the future.

Prediction: I think they'll improve and make the finals this year, as this team is solid, but lack an out and out gun captain option., which may prevent them from making it deep into the WXVS finals series. But all their young players still have plenty of improvement.
Verdict: 8th

Sao Paulo Pumas, coached by HoneyBadger.
Best XV
D: Walker, Houli, Waters, Roberton
M: Ablett, Sloane, Masten, Hartlett
R: Minson
F: Roughead, Gunston, M.Wright, D.Smith
U: Zaharakis, T.Adams

Position last season: 1st
Notable Inclusions: Stringer, Freeman, Z.Jones

The #1 WXV player must continue to score well, for the Pumas to achieve success.

Key Player: Gary Ablett - Ablett is vital to the Pumas, as he's their star captain option and must continue his premium scoring if the Pumas are going to go back-to-back.
Young Gun: Nathan Freeman - the club's first pick in the draft, with plenty of upside and it was surprising he lasted until pick 17. He was injured in the preseason, but he'll get his opportunity later in the year.

Prediction: Will there be a premiership hangover for the Pumas? I don't think so, they still have plenty of guns and also plenty of young promising players like Taylor Adams, who'll keep pushing this group towards Premiership glory, again. They do have a few problems though, Beau Waters may not be fit, which would leave a big hole in defence and their forwards aren't the strongest, having to field Wright and Smith. Will they make it two grand final appearances in a row?
Verdict: 2nd

Seoul Magpies, coached by JB's Hawks.
Best XV
D: D.Swallow, Roughead, Duryea, N.Wright
M: Gibbs, B.Ellis, Scully, Lucas
R: McEvoy
F: Dangerfield, LeCras, Ballantyne, TJ. Lynch
U: Congilio, Hocking

Position last season: 12th
Notable Inclusions: LeCras, D.Swallow, Lynch, McBean, Boyd, Kelly
Key Player: Patrick Dangerfield - the star mid has now gained fwd status, which makes him even more valuable. He's a clear gun, who'll have to lead from the front as captain this year.
Young Gun: Tom Boyd - The #1 pick in the draft, but he'll be given time to develop, especially since the Magpies' forward line is already very strong.

Prediction: Lots of stars in this team, but defence is really lacking, with Ellis and Gibbs losing DPP. Depth is also a worry, which means they'll be around mid-table for yet another season, but the signs for the future looks good.
Verdict: 13th

Tokyo Samurai, coached by Boomz and kilbluff1985.
Best XV
D: Mitchell, Suckling, Ibbotson, R.Henderson
M: K.Jack, Shuey, S.Selwood, Judd
R: D.Simpson
F: Tippett, Parker, Dahlhaus, Motlop
U: Fasolo, Broughton

Position last season: 14th
Notable Inclusions: Simpson, Ibbotson, Broughton

Simpson is vital to Tokyo's success.

Key Player: Dawson Simpson - he's not their best player, but definitely their most important, as they don't have good ruck depth, which makes him very important. Must have a break out year and cement his spot at the #1 ruckman, for Tokyo to make finals.
Young Gun: Jesse Lonergan - this kid has lots of potential and if he performs he can break his way into the team's XV.

Prediction: This is a solid team with a very good XV. But they are lacking in the ruck department and depth, but I still think they'll be the big improvers this year, as long as players in their best XV keep fit.
Verdict: 6th

Toronto Wolves, coached by roosboys!
Best XV
D: L.Henderson, M.Johnson, Grima, Butler
M: Pendlebury, A.Swallow, Ziebell, Cunnington
R: Ryder
F: Robinson, J.Riewoldt, L.Adams, J.White
U: McLean, C.Young

Position last season: 8th
Notable Inclusions: Henderson, Adams
Key Player: Scott Pendlebury - I think Pendles can become the #1 player in the comp by the end of the year, so there's a big year ahead for both Pendles and Toronto.
Young Gun: Tom Hickey - Young ruckman who'll only get better. I doubt he'll take Ryder's spot but he could be used as a utility.

Prediction: A few players will need to step up Toronto are to make the finals this year, such as Ziebell, Ryder and Jroo. A.Swallow will miss the start of the season, which will hurt Toronto, but with Pendles as captain and if Ziebell becomes elite, it will lessen the blow and keep them in finals contention.
Verdict: 10th

Wellington Warriors, coached by pothead.
Best XV
D: Golby, Dempster, Patfull, R.Thompson
M: Deledio, M.Murphy, I.Smith, Mzungu
R: McIntosh
F: Walker, Sylvia, Bewick, Nahas
U: Hayes, Whitfield

Position last season: 18th
Notable Inclusions: Deledio, Sylvia, X.Ellis, L.Taylor
Key Player: Brett Deledio - he'll be given the job as captain most weeks, so he must get back to his old scoring ways, if Wellington are to stay away from the bottom of the ladder.
Young Gun: Lachie Whitfield - last year's #1 pick is looking to improve again this year. Should get plenty of opportunity at Wellington as there's a spot for him in their XV.

Prediction: Another tough year ahead for Wellington, there forward line is weak and there are question marks over Walker's and Sylvia's fitness. McIntosh also has question marks over his body. They don't have good depth so injuries will hurt this side.
Verdict: 17th

Jroo

Ladder Prediction
1st Dublin
2nd Sao Paulo
3rd Buenos Aires
4th Mexico City
5th Moscow
6th Tokyo
7th Berlin
8th PNL
9th Cario
10th Toronto
11th New York
12th Cape Town
13th Seoul
14th London
15th Pacific
16th New Delhi
17th Wellington
18th Beijing

There you go, my take on the 2014 WXV season.
What do you think and what are your predictions for the upcoming season?

Nige

Cairo finishing 9th is actually the biggest joke I've seen.  :o

SydneyRox

WOW.... can I say - that is impressive work JROO. Not sure how you find the time!!

Nige

I really like the preview as a whole, don't agree with bits of it though.

kilbluff1985

very nice mate

if only we got Maric >:(

would prob play Carlisle or Suban over Broughton

ossie85

Wow! What a great read... *goes back to read in more detail*

Ringo

Well done JROO will be interesting to revisit at seasons end to see accurate it is.

Very good summation and the absence of Bellchambers will really hurt the Royals unless Thurlow is promoted and plays or Gorringe or Hudson get games as well.  May be forced to play a player OOP.

Best xv is pretty well what I have except I have Laird in defence with Broadbent on interchange in place of MacKay.  McKay was extremely disappointing last year,

If Menzell shows form and gets game I have the option to move McVeigh back as well.  Daniher is another I will be watching this year,

Nige

I was gonna post a Cairo season preview in our thread one of these days.

I might just do it here instead.

Holz

Nice work Jroo.

Alot of pressure on Dublin now, I'll downplay it abit with a top 4 goal, once we get that it's anyone's game.

Good to see someone else rate my smokie in Marksworth.

ossie85

Yep, absolutely fantastic now I've read in more detail....

Particularly impressed you kept up with all the ins-and-outs... where did you get that info without my fancy spreadsheet? :P

Minor correction, incredibly minor reall, but the Pumas won't be going for a third Granny in a row, they fell down at the Prelims in 2012 (was Mexico City v Cape Town)

Memphistopheles

Great read JRoo but looking at all these teams I've think you've got our position wrong.

Admittedly quite a bit of the performance of our team depends on players staying fit (Read Thomas, Hawkins, Higgins, Sam Reid, Tyson, Rohan)

The defence is interesting. We don't have a lot of 'premium depth' but we do have a host of good younger players/guys who could improve this season in O'Shea, Guthrie, Ben Reid, Everitt, Pittard, Haynes, Gwilt and Heath.

In midfield we have five guys who have previously shown they can be out-and-out stars in Cotchin, JPK, Thomas, Cooney and O'Keefe.

I'm not saying this will happen but if you take the best season average from each of these guys it reads like this: 116.3, 120.2, 109.4, 106.9, 108.5.

So that's a total of 561.5 at an average of 112.26 which shows there's great potential for some huge scores to come out of our midfield. We've then got one more spot to fill and have four solid options in Bird, Curnow, Tyson and B Hill. The first two are solid, consistent scorers whereas the second two have potential to substantially increase their output this year.

Ruck is a problem area with Smith out but we have got Vardy for cover here while he recovers so we won't be needing to play someone OOP.

Forwards are also interesting and like the mids there is a lot of scoring power with Hawkins, Cameron, Darling and Higgins the likely best 4 when fit. You'd expect Cameron and Darling to increase their scores this season due to natural improvement (and possibly some midfield time for Darling) while Hawkins and Higgins have shown they can be really good scorers when fit.

Depth wise we've got Bird, Sam Reid, Gary Rohan, Smedts, Bock and Karnezis. Again some injury worries but if fit all have the potential to improve on their 2013 averages.

In summary I think you've under-estimated the value we can get from having two super captain options (Cotchin and JPK) as well as the potential for our team. Yes it could all go pear-shaped and we could end up 12th but if we get even a little bit of luck then a top 8 spot should be pretty easily attainable.

ossie85

My prediction for ladder

1 Buenos Aires
2 Mexico City
3 Dublin
4 Sao Paulo

5 Toronto
6 PNL
7 Cairo
8 Moscow

9 Tokyo
10 Berlin