Zorko stars in midfield role

Started by Typhnn, February 06, 2014, 02:58:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Typhnn

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-02-06/zorko-stars-onball

Interesting... will this change your mind if your picking him in the fwd....??

Ricochet

Keep in mind that the midfield group would have been split in two to field two teams. Will be surprised if he gets the same mid time if Moloney, Rocky, Redden, Rich are all in the same team

FactHunt

Quote from: Ricochet on February 06, 2014, 03:01:10 PM
Keep in mind that the midfield group would have been split in two to field two teams. Will be surprised if he gets the same mid time if Moloney, Rocky, Redden, Rich are all in the same team

What Rico said... but he only needs to exceed a 90 ave to make you some $$
I prefer others, but not worth the scrap-heap by any stretch.

colmullet

if he keeps up this sort of form when he gets the opportunity in the middle you would think the coach would give him more and more opportunity in there to though. Say if Rocky is resting forward why wouldnt you throw Zorko through the middle for 5mins a quarter?

H1bb3i2d

Quote from: colmullet on February 06, 2014, 03:13:43 PM
if he keeps up this sort of form when he gets the opportunity in the middle you would think the coach would give him more and more opportunity in there to though. Say if Rocky is resting forward why wouldnt you throw Zorko through the middle for 5mins a quarter?

^^^^This. Especially with a new coach, if he's performing in the midfield, the coach will have no option but to play him there! It's like how Mitchell broke into the Swans midfield racking up 50+ in the reserves week after week. Whilst I'm not saying it WILL happen, and he has a ripper role for his team atm, if he can become one of their better midfielders, he'll get more opportunity regardless.

ben_020285

I remember Zorko starred in last years NAB Cup grand final too where he had stints in the midfield.

Then many coaches including myself started with him in their sides last year and the rest is history...

Ringo

Tend to agree with this statement - will be very interesting to see Brisbane's line up for the first round and watch through NAB cup.
In the last week of training there are a number of variables being thrown up. McGrath has been throwing his hand up and really doing things in the forward line so we may see Zorko revert back to mids with McGrath and green in the small forward role. Means that 2 of Beams, Mayes or Aish will miss selection though.
Keep in mind as richo said there were 2 sets of mids as well.

Watch how Brisbane line up in NAB cup and without Brown though may be a little difficult.

@ben_020285 Part of the reason was the then coach and we have a new coach and new game plan so as I say watch. Have posted a number of times that Zorko has increased speed and endurance in the off season and benefits are showing.

ben_020285

Quote from: Ringo on February 06, 2014, 03:44:16 PM
Tend to agree with this statement - will be very interesting to see Brisbane's line up for the first round and watch through NAB cup.
In the last week of training there are a number of variables being thrown up. McGrath has been throwing his hand up and really doing things in the forward line so we may see Zorko revert back to mids with McGrath and green in the small forward role. Means that 2 of Beams, Mayes or Aish will miss selection though.

Watch how Brisbane line up in NAB cup and without Brown though may be a little difficult.

@ben_020285 Part of the reason was the then coach and we have a new coach and new game plan so as I say watch. Have posted a number of times that Zorko has increased speed and endurance in the off season and benefits are showing.

Would love to hear Leppa say that Zorko will play mostly through the midfield come season proper but until then I will remain wary.

Once bitten twice shy.

batt

Quote from: Ringo on February 06, 2014, 03:44:16 PM

I'm steering clear.  You convinced me the same time last year that Zorks was the Lions best defensive forward!  Surely there is more of a need for him there than in the mids?

Ringo

Can understand the scepticism as well as we got burned last year, I am quoting it as I see it from training and voicing a personal opinion.  Still believe he will be used in the forawrd press role than midfield but with McGrath now tearing it up in the forward pocket as i said a change would not surprise but watch NAB cup keeping an eye on who is omitted as a guide.

Sabretooth Tigers

:)
Took him last year, stayed loyal and kept him all season, and got incinerated. Was too loyal to him last year not to start him again this year. ATM he is my F.5 and I'm pretty keen on him again. Reckon I must be the only person who's team changes not only daily, but sometimes half hourly. I'm going 5 / 3 / 1 / 5  in structure in what I gauge as possible keepers. The 3 mids are Gazza, Sloane and D Beams. I had Scotty Selwood but red in an article tonight where he said he would be playing more of a tagging role this season so bye bye Scotty.   Cheers.       ::)
After a little playing around, the structure has changed to :-      4 / 3 / 1 / 6 but nothing is written in blood until the start of the last game of the first round.       ;)

Speculator

He's back on my radar but I'd hate to get burnt again.

juzztheball

I've had Zorko in my team for every single game of AFL he's played. After he tied me to a stake and lit me on fire last seaosn i said never agian, so someone tell me why he's currently sitting in my forward line?  :-\

batt

Quote from: juzztheball on February 07, 2014, 10:58:30 AM
I've had Zorko in my team for every single game of AFL he's played. After he tied me to a stake and lit me on fire last seaosn i said never agian, so someone tell me why he's currently sitting in my forward line?  :-\
Because  he is ridiculously talented.  If he played pure mid he could easily average 110.  You can never completely write him off.

johns_23

I think we really need to watch him through the NAB cup then make a decision.
Hes on my radar, but as last year turned out, im very cautious with him. At this stage for me its a no