Charlie Dixon

Started by timtim, February 06, 2014, 11:41:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elephants

I believe what dmac is saying though is, with Zac Smith and Tom Nicholls fit again, Dixon will lose that valuable ruck time and be turned into a perma key forward. This will most likely hurt his scoring somewhat.

timtim

Quote from: elephants on February 06, 2014, 05:03:11 PM
I believe what dmac is saying though is, with Zac Smith and Tom Nicholls fit again, Dixon will lose that valuable ruck time and be turned into a perma key forward. This will most likely hurt his scoring somewhat.

Yes but I think what Bully is saying is that even with a fit Smith and Nicholls, Dixon will still play R2 meaning that Nicholls will probably not play?

timtim

Also for what it's worth I've just had a quick look at all three's stats in 2013:

- Dixon played with Smith 6 times - ave 103 (113 when you take out the injury affected 52)

- Dixon played with Nicholls 1 time - output 50 (but this was also injury affected, he came back for one game then out for the next 6 weeks)

- Dixon never played with Smith AND Nicholls

- Dixon played 6 games without Smith or Nicholls - ave 82

elephants

Quote from: timtim on February 06, 2014, 05:09:03 PM

Yes but I think what Bully is saying is that even with a fit Smith and Nicholls, Dixon will still play R2 meaning that Nicholls will probably not play?

Yeah I know.. I just don't see Nicholls plying his trade in the NEAFL..

Bully

That doesn't concern me given some of his best scores weren't ruck reliant.

Top scores from 2013 include -

143 from 16 possessions, 6 HO, 6 goals
130 from 16 possessions, 9 HO, 2 goals
123 from 18 possessions, 21 HO, 3 goals
104 from 17 possessions, 10 HO, 2 goals
103 from 18 possessions, 9 HO, 0 goals
102 from 12 possessions, 15 HO, 1 goal

Aside from the 21 hit outs, his ruck work is what you'd expect of a second stringer. It's also debatable whether GC would play both Nicholls & Smith. For team balance, I'd say this is pretty unlikely.

dmac07

Quote from: elephants on February 06, 2014, 05:27:46 PM

Nicholls is too good to play neafl. Honestly see it making more sense for dixon and bock to play permanent fwd, and nicholls and smith to swap ruck and 3rd fwd. Dixon is as good in the ruck, but a better key fwd than smith and nicholls.

elephants

Quote from: dmac07 on February 06, 2014, 05:34:35 PM

Nicholls is too good to play neafl. Honestly see it making more sense for dixon and bock to play permanent fwd, and nicholls and smith to swap ruck and 3rd fwd. Dixon is as good in the ruck, but a better key fwd than smith and nicholls.

Yep, agreed.

Quote from: Bully on February 06, 2014, 05:32:16 PM

Aside from the 21 hit outs, his ruck work is what you'd expect of a second stringer. It's also debatable whether GC would play both Nicholls & Smith. For team balance, I'd say this is pretty unlikely.

It's not just hitouts that are gained in the ruck though. He's around the ball a whole lot more in the ruck than he is when playing deep forward. Possession and tackle counts are also inflated when playing on the ball.

Bully

Quote from: elephants on February 06, 2014, 05:37:07 PM

Yep, agreed.

It's not just hitouts that are gained in the ruck though. He's around the ball a whole lot more in the ruck than he is when playing deep forward. Possession and tackle counts are also inflated when playing on the ball.

He can still score well without the ruck time, and besides, I doubt both Nicholls and Smith will be playing alongside each other on too many occasions. I actually prefer Nicholls to Smith anyway, I think carrying both and Dixon is a case of ruck overkill. It's not like either of those two are natural forwards.

Footyrulz

Dixon is a lock for me.

Not so much for his scoring potential, but for his MPP.

Bully

Quote from: Footyrulz on February 06, 2014, 05:48:06 PM
Dixon is a lock for me.

Not so much for his scoring potential, but for his MPP.

This is the nuts and bolts of the argument, any injury to any starting ruck will have serious ramifications unless people plan on spending 300k on a third ruckman. There's also the byes to take into account, being able to switch Dixon to either line will probably come in very handy.

Danzac

I really like Dixon, my problem is I can't squeeze him in ahead of Danger/Dusty/Buddy/L.Parker. I think all of those 4 will outscore him.
He's next cab off the rank for me if one of those go down

elephants

Quote from: Bully on February 06, 2014, 05:47:35 PM

Yep, agreed.

He can still score well without the ruck time, and besides, I doubt both Nicholls and Smith will be playing alongside each other on too many occasions. I actually prefer Nicholls to Smith anyway, I think carrying both and Dixon is a case of ruck overkill. It's not like either of those two are natural forwards.

So you reckon Zac Smith will be in the NEAFL while GC use a kid and their best key forward in the ruck all season? Ok.

Bully

Quote from: elephants on February 06, 2014, 07:01:50 PM
Quote from: Bully on February 06, 2014, 05:47:35 PM

Yep, agreed.

So you reckon Zac Smith will be in the NEAFL while GC use a kid and their best key forward in the ruck all season? Ok.

Nicholls may or may not play first ruck, who knows, he may even get a run for a few weeks and then be rested. My point is that GC won't play Smith & Nicholls together for the entire season, neither are bona fide forwards and I can't see McKenna hiding them on the bench for prolonged periods. It may be done from time to time but with a fit Dixon, it seems to buck the trend of playing only one pure ruckman.

batt

Quote from: Bully on February 06, 2014, 04:56:19 PM
Dixon has and always will be GC's permanent second ruck, no way he doesn't get named if fully fit. The beauty of Dixon is he doesn't rely on ruck work to beef up his scores.
Indeed.  There wasn't any noticeable difference in playing with vs without Nicholls.

Bones Bombers

List depth is getting crazy in the AFL. Very hard to predict which players will get regular games and who misses out.
So far in this thread the players mentioned playing ruck or tall forward roles have been Dixon, Smith, Nicholls and Bock but the Suns also have Tom Lynch (who is in the leadership group and highly respected) and I think Sam Day is a tall forward too. That's just off the top of my head without looking into their list.
Some good players are going to miss out.
Hard to pick best 22 for any team these days and that makes it hard to know player roles too.