Charlie Dixon

Started by timtim, February 06, 2014, 11:41:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timtim

Is anyone looking at Dixon this year?

Up until his injury last year the kid was flying - been in the system 3 years now, and with GCS on the up, thoughts on a potential breakout? Also DPP and at $484K could be a steal

Averaged 103 from Rounds 1-6 (he went down in Round 6 delivering 52 points that game, take it out and his average jumps to 113). But not quite the same when he returned from Rounds 18-23 (82 average).

Thoughts?

Personally I'm thinking he might make a much better R2 than Grundy and/or an F4

Speculator

I always like having a R/F dpp in my forward line, and he's definitely the pick of the bunch. I might consider him as an upgrade if he shows good form but doubt I'd take the risk of starting with him.

dmac07

I see a lot of teams picking him just becausevof his dual position status, but dont actually think he is a good pick. Would take franklin at   similar price any day, or even cloke or wingard in the same ball park price.

Bully

I like Dixon, he's made for Supercoach because he does a bit of everything and doesn't need to touch the ball too often to rack up big points.

Top scores from 2013 include -

143 from 16 possessions, 6 HO, 6 goals
130 from 16 possessions, 9 HO, 2 goals
123 from 18 possessions, 21 HO, 3 goals
104 from 17 possessions, 10 HO, 2 goals
103 from 18 possessions, 9 HO, 0 goals
102 from 12 possessions, 15 HO, 1 goal

There's also a number of games that were injury affected so I wouldn't read too much into his average. Perhaps most importantly, he's excellent insurance for your starting ruckmen. I think if fit, and with a good NAB Cup behind him, he must come under serious consideration.

Bully

Just to add to Dixon's appeal, I just checked the fixture and he also becomes an excellent loophole candidate in the event Sandi goes missing.

Rd 1 - Coll vs Freo (Fri)
          GC vs Rich (Sat)

Rd 3 - Haw vs Freo (Fri)
          GC vs Bris (Sat)

Rd 5 - Syd vs Freo (Sat)
         Melb vs GC (Sun)

Rd 6 - Freo vs North (Fri)
         GC vs GWS (Sat)

Rd 9 - Freo vs Geel (Sat)
         St Kilda vs GC (Sun)

So basically a Sandi catastrophe can be covered provided people pick a Max King or Ben Brown. By round 9, I would also expect his value to be decent enough to do a straight swap for a premo.   

H1bb3i2d

Quote from: Bully on February 06, 2014, 02:31:50 PM
Just to add to Dixon's appeal, I just checked the fixture and he also becomes an excellent loophole candidate in the event Sandi goes missing.

GC vs Rich (Sat)

Rd 3 - Haw vs Freo (Fri)
          GC vs Bris (Sat)

Rd 5 - Syd vs Freo (Sat)
         Melb vs GC (Sun)

GC vs GWS (Sat)

St Kilda vs GC (Sun)

So basically a Sandi catastrophe can be covered provided people pick a Max King or Ben Brown. By round 9, I would also expect his value to be decent enough to do a straight swap for a premo.   

I'd really be wanting to take both their scores tbh... not paying to have either of them on my bench!
And if you swing Dixon from your forwards, who says the forward rookie will score more than a missing (or more likely subbed) Sandi

timtim

Quote from: dmac07 on February 06, 2014, 01:04:16 PM
I see a lot of teams picking him just becausevof his dual position status, but dont actually think he is a good pick. Would take franklin at   similar price any day, or even cloke or wingard in the same ball park price.

Agree but I'm looking at Dixon at being my F4/back-up ruck...

FWD line looking like: Danger, Wingard, Buddy, Dixon, J.Daniher, L.Taylor (rookie, rookie)

Injury affected games definitely bring down his 2013 average, but putting those aside I think he can average 100 this year

Bully

Quote from: H1bb3i2d on February 06, 2014, 02:40:18 PM

GC vs Rich (Sat)

Rd 3 - Haw vs Freo (Fri)
          GC vs Bris (Sat)

Rd 5 - Syd vs Freo (Sat)
         Melb vs GC (Sun)

GC vs GWS (Sat)

St Kilda vs GC (Sun)

I'd really be wanting to take both their scores tbh... not paying to have either of them on my bench!
And if you swing Dixon from your forwards, who says the forward rookie will score more than a missing (or more likely subbed) Sandi

Dixon starts in the forwards, Sandi starts with the 'E'. If he performs leave Brown or King on the ground. If he doesn't, swing Dixon into R2, and use a forward emergency score. This is simply a contingency in case he either gets subbed, injured or completely spuds it up.

H1bb3i2d

Quote from: Bully on February 06, 2014, 02:50:00 PM

GC vs Rich (Sat)

Rd 3 - Haw vs Freo (Fri)
          GC vs Bris (Sat)

Rd 5 - Syd vs Freo (Sat)
         Melb vs GC (Sun)

GC vs GWS (Sat)

St Kilda vs GC (Sun)

Dixon starts in the forwards, Sandi starts with the 'E'. If he performs leave Brown or King on the ground. If he doesn't, swing Dixon into R2, and use a forward emergency score. This is simply a contingency in case he either gets subbed, injured or completely spuds it up.

yeah exactly I understand, would definitely do that if I had them... but you'll need both R3 and R4 purely for loopholes (one to cop a ruck donut, one to swing forward...) and for what, an F7 who's only going to score 60 if not green-vested himself. R3 should at least be a potential cashcow/cover if any do start round 1.

And as is SC, Sandi having a shocker, your F7 having a blinder, with now 5 (Sandi, ruck donut, Dixon, F7, swingman) all having conveniently timed lockouts... May the SC gods be with you haha.

Nah but on a serious note, I think Dixon will be in my team after his round 8 bye. Get a chance to see if he's performing, shouldn't rise toooo much if he is, avoid a potential round 8 donut, and that way my rucks "only" have to play 7 games early on when they're fresh until I have better cover.. Thoughts?

Bully

Quote from: H1bb3i2d on February 06, 2014, 03:05:29 PM

GC vs Rich (Sat)

Rd 3 - Haw vs Freo (Fri)
          GC vs Bris (Sat)

Rd 5 - Syd vs Freo (Sat)
         Melb vs GC (Sun)

GC vs GWS (Sat)

St Kilda vs GC (Sun)

yeah exactly I understand, would definitely do that if I had them... but you'll need both R3 and R4 purely for loopholes (one to cop a ruck donut, one to swing forward...) and for what, an F7 who's only going to score 60 if not green-vested himself. R3 should at least be a potential cashcow/cover if any do start round 1.

And as is SC, Sandi having a shocker, your F7 having a blinder, with now 5 (Sandi, ruck donut, Dixon, F7, swingman) all having conveniently timed lockouts... May the SC gods be with you haha.

Nah but on a serious note, I think Dixon will be in my team after his round 8 bye. Get a chance to see if he's performing, shouldn't rise toooo much if he is, avoid a potential round 8 donut, and that way my rucks "only" have to play 7 games early on when they're fresh until I have better cover.. Thoughts?

The lockouts for the forwards don't really come into play because they are already on the bench with an 'E', it's actually better if they play early because one can match their score with Sandi's output. As for R3 & R4, i don't see too many candidates putting their hand up, maybe Thurlow, but he's also got DPP status so he'll be a handy with all the shuffling.

The case for Max King as R4 also gains traction, he plays after Sandi R1, R3, R5 & R6. Thurlow also can be moved around R1, R3, R5.

H1bb3i2d

Quote from: Bully on February 06, 2014, 03:24:08 PM

GC vs Rich (Sat)

Rd 3 - Haw vs Freo (Fri)
          GC vs Bris (Sat)

Rd 5 - Syd vs Freo (Sat)
         Melb vs GC (Sun)

GC vs GWS (Sat)

St Kilda vs GC (Sun)

The lockouts for the forwards don't really come into play because they are already on the bench with an 'E', it's actually better if they play early because one can match their score with Sandi's output. As for R3 & R4, i don't see too many candidates putting their hand up, maybe Thurlow, but he's also got DPP status so he'll be a handy with all the shuffling.

The case for Max King as R4 also gains traction, he plays after Sandi R1, R3, R5 & R6. Thurlow also can be moved around R1, R3, R5.

Touche, guess it could work quite well... wouldn't structure my team for that reason alone, but I guess Thrulow is close to a lock, DPP even if he doesnt play early... and if no one else is named round 1, I guess King it is.

But personally, probably won't start Dixon round 1, for reasons underlined. Tempting though... I'm sure a lot will happen between now and lockout!!

Bully

Quote from: H1bb3i2d on February 06, 2014, 03:29:20 PM
Quote from: Bully on February 06, 2014, 03:24:08 PM

GC vs Rich (Sat)

Rd 3 - Haw vs Freo (Fri)
          GC vs Bris (Sat)

Rd 5 - Syd vs Freo (Sat)
         Melb vs GC (Sun)

GC vs GWS (Sat)

St Kilda vs GC (Sun)

Touche, guess it could work quite well... wouldn't structure my team for that reason alone, but I guess Thrulow is close to a lock, DPP even if he doesnt play early... and if no one else is named round 1, I guess King it is.

But personally, probably won't start Dixon round 1, for reasons underlined. Tempting though... I'm sure a lot will happen between now and lockout!!

The move isn't without risk but it's a good move if Ruck 3 & 4 don't look like being safe rookies. One needs to consider the ramifications of Sandi missing 1-2 games. Do people jump ship even if he's producing tons? And if a trade is the preferred option, will people be happy enough with Hmac, Grundy or Longer?

At the moment I'm pretty serious about starting both Hmac & Sandi as my two starting rucks, but to do this I need a solid back-up plan in the event one gets injured in the first 6 rounds. Dixon doesn't have the upside of Franklin but as a makeshift ruck 3 and semi-permanent forward he makes for an excellent insurance policy. And even if I don't go down this path immediately, I would bring him in the moment my rucks start to break down or under perform.

batt

Owned him last year, one of my first picks this year.

He is a SC monster.  I remember multiple games last year where he'd almost double his DT in SC.  Plays contested footy, pinch hits, gets contested marks and kicks goals.  My only real concern is his injury proneness.

In terms of his pre-season, he had surgery on his bung ankle, went to Arizona but has been with the main group for all of Jan.  courtesy of BF

dmac07

What do people think his role will be this year? I havent been following gc preseason, but will his role stay the same? Last year Dixon spent time out injured, then Smith went down for the year, then nicholls emerged late in the year as a great ruck option. If these three are all fit where do people see them fitting? Smith back to number 1 ruck, nicholls as back up ruck/fwd, and Dixon as permanent fwd as he is probably the best goalkicker of the bunch? Also bock back from injury as a permnant fwd, day and lynch can run through the fwds as well.

These guys have rarely been all available so GC have jyst used who is available, will be interesting to to see how GC set up if all these guys are available.

Bully

Quote from: dmac07 on February 06, 2014, 04:44:28 PM
What do people think his role will be this year? I havent been following gc preseason, but will his role stay the same? Last year Dixon spent time out injured, then Smith went down for the year, then nicholls emerged late in the year as a great ruck option. If these three are all fit where do people see them fitting? Smith back to number 1 ruck, nicholls as back up ruck/fwd, and Dixon as permanent fwd as he is probably the best goalkicker of the bunch? Also bock back from injury as a permnant fwd, day and lynch can run through the fwds as well.

These guys have rarely been all available so GC have jyst used who is available, will be interesting to to see how GC set up if all these guys are available.

Dixon has and always will be GC's permanent second ruck, no way he doesn't get named if fully fit. The beauty of Dixon is he doesn't rely on ruck work to beef up his scores.