Zorko - Thoughts

Started by Halfy, February 05, 2014, 04:56:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halfy

He is the highest priced, and was the only player to avg over 80 from the lions last year. Hasn't really got any fantasy competition in the forward line, and he is likely to get midfield time.

Close to a lock???

nperera95

I've been tossing up between Gunston and Zorko over the past couple of months... Not sure which one to have. Dont think Zorko would get much midfield as the lions midfield is stacked! But definitely keep an eye on him over nab cup games

Big Mac

Although Zorko would probably average higher if he played in the midfield, his role in the forward line is much more valuable to his team. Ranked 2nd in the AFL for Forward 50 pressure acts, I can't see Leppitsch changing his role anytime soon. You also mention he doesn't have much competition in the forward line, however this also means he is more likely to cop a tag. I'd probably prefer Gunston in the same price range, but in saying that I haven't picked either.

GoLions

Zorko plays his forward role really well, but it isn't a fantasy friendly role. With Beams coming back from injury, and picking up players such as Aish in the draft (and along with Rockliff, Redden, Moloney, Rich, etc.), Zorko will struggle to get much midfield time. To get back to his fantasy scoring from his first year at the Lions, he'll need to kick around 3-4 goals a game, which is obviously highly unlikely.

I would look at players such as Gunston and Pavlich instead.

RaisyDaisy

Thought I would dig this out with a Bump

Didn't watch Brisbane much during the NAB but got the impression that Zorko rotated through the midfield?

Priced at an 82avg you would think he can only go up in price and average

Last year he was another victim of the 2nd year blues, but do we think he can be a top fwd this year?

His 40k cheaper then Bud, and Leppa might give him more of a run through the mids?

Thoughts? Am I totally wrong to be considering him?

Ringo

Zorko will basically initially line up in the forwards to maintain attacking pressure in Brisbnaes forward 50 and this has been well documented. Zorko has added pace and endurance to his armoury as well and this all goes well to maintain his forward pressure.

The one thing that a lot of coaches are overlooking is the fact that interchange is limited to 120 this year so I can see with Brisbane's set up some of Brisbane's mid Rocky, Mayes for example spending time forward interchanging with Zorko which will increase.  Can see Zorko pushing up towards 100 this year with this role this year and by his own admission needs to show a lot more this year than last year so also expecting him to lift.

Judd Magic

Quote from: Ringo on March 05, 2014, 08:18:04 PM
Zorko will basically initially line up in the forwards to maintain attacking pressure in Brisbnaes forward 50 and this has been well documented. Zorko has added pace and endurance to his armoury as well and this all goes well to maintain his forward pressure.

The one thing that a lot of coaches are overlooking is the fact that interchange is limited to 120 this year so I can see with Brisbane's set up some of Brisbane's mid Rocky, Mayes for example spending time forward interchanging with Zorko which will increase.  Can see Zorko pushing up towards 100 this year with this role this year and by his own admission needs to show a lot more this year than last year so also expecting him to lift.

Would you lock Zorko in over Buddy Ringo?

LF

Ringo has had Zorko locked in for ages :P

Ringo

Go with gut on that one mate, do your own research read the numerous threads and make own decision.  I have reservations on Buddy myself so he is not in my team but Zorko is. Zorko is my F3 with Pav at F4 at the moment.

Judd Magic

Quote from: Ringo on March 05, 2014, 08:33:02 PM
Go with gut on that one mate, do your own research read the numerous threads and make own decision.  I have reservations on Buddy myself so he is not in my team but Zorko is. Zorko is my F3 with Pav at F4 at the moment.

Have been doing lots of research though, its doing my head in. LOL!

I really like Zorko as a player, he has been in and out of my team alot.

The thing that's hard to gauge on him though is this whole will he/won't he spend more time in the midfield?

If someone could guarantee me that he would get more midfield time than last year he would be the lock of all locks in my forward line.  :-\

NoButYeah

During Leppitsch's #askthecoach "twitter takeover" on the AFL twitter page, someone tweeted asking about Zorko and how he went in the intra-club match (this was the day of the hawks vs lions game in NAB) and how that intra club match had reflected his training and Leppitsch's response was:

"He's had a great pre-season, hopefully spends some time in the midfield this year."

Personally, I'm going to be starting with him in my side.

Full tweets can be found with this link if it works:
https://twitter.com/AFL/status/433695889396604928

RaisyDaisy

I remember reading that NBY, which is why I am interested in Zorko

Thanks for the input Ringo - I too currently have Zorko and Pav at 3 and 4

Ringo

Quote from: Judd Magic on March 05, 2014, 08:41:28 PM
Quote from: Ringo on March 05, 2014, 08:33:02 PM

Have been doing lots of research though, its doing my head in. LOL!

I really like Zorko as a player, he has been in and out of my team alot.

The thing that's hard to gauge on him though is this whole will he/won't he spend more time in the midfield?

If someone could guarantee me that he would get more midfield time than last year he would be the lock of all locks in my forward line.  :-\
Can not give that guarantee wish we could but I believe he will get mid time as a result of rotations as I said earlier.

Fid

For me its a toss between zorko and tom mitchell

HotTiges

Old Zorko hey.. Him and Mayes the best in that list.. Had him last year and pissed him off for Rocky before rd 3.. best move. Hopefully he can bounce back.. picking him this year?? touch and go