Brandon Ellis

Started by eaglesman, February 01, 2014, 08:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eaglesman

Anyone at all considering this guy ,,, was a life saver last season in defence ... another year older and those dreaded green vest days are well and truly behind him.

has skill has stamina has smarts ... think he has the potential to average 100 and make more cash myself ....has shown the potential to belt out some decent scores

134(freo)149(melb)127(ade)125(bris)137(ess) ...

has averaged 93 his last 17 games including a 38 when he was subbed for an head injury

prob $60-70k underpriced based on this with potential to increase that  and provide good scoring in the process provides a stepping stone to pendles/gaz i feel (talking myself into it)

thoughts?

colmullet

i don't think the 60 - 70K potential cash is enough to justify the use of a trade to them upgrade him, won't average enough to be a keeper and won't make enough to be a justifiable stepping stone i think

Dayze

Quote from: colmullet on February 01, 2014, 08:40:16 PM
i don't think the 60 - 70K potential cash is enough to justify the use of a trade to them upgrade him, won't average enough to be a keeper and won't make enough to be a justifiable stepping stone i think
Completely agree. Well said
I have no doubt at all he will average 100 this season, but its not quite a good enough reason to use a midfield slot.
He is going to b a super player tho. Could really use a player like him at west coast...

eaglesman

Quote from: Dayze on February 01, 2014, 08:43:30 PM
Quote from: colmullet on February 01, 2014, 08:40:16 PM
Completely agree. Well said
I have no doubt at all he will average 100 this season, but its not quite a good enough reason to use a midfield slot.
He is going to b a super player tho. Could really use a player like him at west coast...

ok lads what about if i said to you that it was brandon ellis vs jack martin for the same midfield spot? who would ya pick ?

Bully

There's nothing to suggest he can't step up a notch, I don't know too many 2nd year players who have a 40 possession game to their name, and from all accounts he's still dominating all the aerobic testing. Ellis could certainly improve his contested game, that will probably be the difference between becoming just another accumulator like Grigg or a top-line mid to join Cotchin, Martin & Deledio. 

roti

I think it has been summed up well, he is more than capable of averaging 100 this year, if he was a defender I would be all over him, but you probably just can't justify it as a mid. He needs to strengthen his inside game, and he has acknowledged that and it has been the focus of his pre-season, thats the best thing about the kid, super motivated won't stop until he gets the best out of himself, will be a gun

eaglesman

ok

i have a midfield spot

it can go to ellis or jack martin ... who would ya pick ? :)

Vinny

Depends mate, what is your current midfield?

eaglesman

ablett fyfe murphy beams thomas ....... Xellis dunstan

Jroo

Ellis is someone I'm considering, but doubt I'll fit him in.

Vinny

Ellis unless you can use the cash better elsewhere.

eaglesman

Quote from: vinny on February 01, 2014, 09:23:58 PM

i think I have seen u have similar midfield and cotchin .. i am going to take a gamble and back ellis in against cotchin obviously to not beat him but score somewhat close and save 130k

roti

Quote from: eaglesman on February 01, 2014, 09:42:39 PM

i think I have seen u have similar midfield and cotchin .. i am going to take a gamble and back ellis in against cotchin obviously to not beat him but score somewhat close and save 130k

Reckon cotch will go back over 115 this season for what it's worth

Trindacut

Quote from: roti on February 01, 2014, 10:10:47 PM

Backing that and adding in that consistency of score relies on a consistency of position. Ellis will still get a lot of back pocket time.

roti

Quote from: Trindacut on February 01, 2014, 10:18:04 PM
Quote from: roti on February 01, 2014, 10:10:47 PM

Backing that and adding in that consistency of score relies on a consistency of position. Ellis will still get a lot of back pocket time.

Not sure about that played almost exclusively on a wing last year, really only played down back at stages in his first year