Grant Birchall

Started by storeymjs, February 01, 2014, 12:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

storeymjs

Am considering this guy at D3 (with J Grimes and M Suckling at D4 and D5). I have looked into his scores and they suggest he could become one of the highest scoring defenders in the fantasy landscape. However, he never really averages more than 95.

Last year he started the year like a house on fire with scores of  122, 126, 110, 152 and 80 with an average of 118. He then went off the boil a little with score of 59, 74 and 30 before getting a niggle coming back and scoring 118 and 105. He then got injured against GWS and was subbed hence a poor score and didn't play again until Round 21 producing good scores of 106, 61, 106, 94, 117 and 98 (including finals) at an average of 97.

I am strongly considering him by looking at those numbers but am wondering whether or not his scoring will be reduced due to the return of Suckling. I don't think it will by looking at his scores from previous years (with Suckling playing) but interested to hear all of your thoughts.

*(Please note all averages are over those periods and not for the year)*

TheMoops

A lot of Birchall's points last year came from rebound running and kicking out of the defensive 50. With how good a boot Suckling has on him there is no doubt the rebounding load will be further shared this year amongst the hawks half-backmen, perhaps meaning a drop in points for Birchall, BUT Birchall's kryptonite has always been tagging attention and with Suckling back it may diffuse the focus away from Birchall if Suckling plays well enough to warrant being locked-down somewhat.

Given the unknowns I think a wait and see approach is best, but there are definitely far worse options for the price. Anyone who started with Birchall last year looked like a genius.

quinny88

I don't think it will affect Birchalls scores having suckling back. Don't forget that Guerra has now retired who was also used a lot for kick outs and rebounding so the load will still be shared between Birchall and Suckling.
Birchalls problem as Moops stated, is that he can't handle the tag very well. He wasn't tagged early in the season and dominated then the drop in scores came when he was tagged. Suckling will need attention but Birchall is a better player and will get the first tag. He's too damaging nit to tag. I would wait and see. Upgrade target for me

storeymjs

Cheers guys. I might just wait and see then

BB67th

Birchall should get the tag first over Suckling so he will still probably have those inconsistency issues. One to look at as a potential upgrade target.

ben_020285

I just think that Kade Simpson is a better round 9 bye option for defence and less than 20k more expensive.

Jroo

He's in my team atm over Mitchell  :o
He's a good POD.

shaker

Starting with Mitchell and Suckling is to cheap to pass up nothing wrong with him just don't want 3 hawk players in the backline

Bully

Quote from: JROO8 on February 01, 2014, 09:26:46 PM
He's a good POD.

Leaving out Mitchell is like leaving out Goddard & Deledio from years gone by. I can understand point of difference but this is a risky manoeuvre, he is unlikely to drop in price and is far better value than either McVeigh & Bartel. 

Jroo

Quote from: Bully on February 02, 2014, 12:18:03 PM
Quote from: JROO8 on February 01, 2014, 09:26:46 PM
He's a good POD.

Leaving out Mitchell is like leaving out Goddard & Deledio from years gone by. I can understand point of difference but this is a risky manoeuvre, he is unlikely to drop in price and is far better value than either McVeigh & Bartel.
I don't see Mitchell in Goddard or Lids league.
Atm I don't have him in my side, but it could definitely change.
McVeigh is my first picked defender ahead of Mitchell.

Bully

Massive call, he's averaged over 100 in 8 out of 9 seasons, the one year he didn't he averaged 99. He rarely misses matches and he will still start in the centre square despite his defender status.

McVeigh has only hit the ton once in his career - last year, so the probability of dropping back under the 100 mark is much higher than Mitchell.

Jroo

Quote from: Bully on February 02, 2014, 12:57:32 PM
Massive call, he's averaged over 100 in 8 out of 9 seasons, the one year he didn't he averaged 99. He rarely misses matches and he will still start in the centre square despite his defender status.

McVeigh has only hit the ton once in his career - last year, so the probability of dropping back under the 100 mark is much higher than Mitchell.
No doubt Mitchell is a gun, but I think McVeigh will be the #1 defender.
Another reason I like McVeigh is due to his bye.
At some stage I'll definitely want Mitchell in my team, I'm up just not sure I can fit him in at the start, but I'll pick him at some stage as he'll be a top 3 defender by the years end.

Bully

Quote from: JROO8 on February 02, 2014, 01:06:37 PM

At some stage I'll definitely want Mitchell in my team, I'm up just not sure I can fit him in at the start, but I'll pick him at some stage as he'll be a top 3 defender by the years end.

For what it's worth, I'll be starting both, but given the choice I would pick Mitchell 99 times out of 100.

Jroo

Quote from: Bully on February 02, 2014, 01:38:56 PM
Quote from: JROO8 on February 02, 2014, 01:06:37 PM

For what it's worth, I'll be starting both, but given the choice I would pick Mitchell 99 times out of 100.
Fair enough, most teams will have both.

elephants

I am currently starting with Birch and Suckers. Enormous value there imo. Suck will take some attention away from Birch imo and allow him to be freed up/drop off for more touches of the pill. At that price Suckers pretty much picks himself.

My only issue with Mitchy is the fact he's been rapidly dropping his average over the past few seasons. He's a gun and a lock for top 6 back but I just don't see any value in him from the start. Upgrade target.

That being said, I'm still yet to choose a D1 haha.