Rico's Advice Thread

Started by Ricochet, January 30, 2014, 09:40:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benno123

Quote from: Ricochet on January 30, 2014, 03:36:15 PM
Quote from: benno123 on January 30, 2014, 02:40:26 PM
Would love if you took a look at my side mate. Cheers :)

Nothing like making and entering in that first official squad for the year. Any advice would be great.

Backs: McVeigh, Mitchell, Thompson, Suckling, Kolodjashnij, Laidler (Gardiner, Fuller)

Mids: Ablett, Fyfe, Cotchin, Beams, Thomas, Michie, Ellis, Dunstan (Acres, Garlett)

Rucks: Naitanui, Sandilands (Thurlow, Nankervis)

Forwards: Dangerfield, Martin, Roughead, Franklin, Pavlich, Kersten (Taylor, Kennedy-Harris)

$2,900

DEF: Great top end picks in McVeigh and Mitchell. Thompson is another top 10 pick. Only concern I have with him is picking a player after his first big breakout year. He has averaged 80s before but never this close to 100. Still he is a solid pick based on last years performance. Suckling is great value here. Personally I don't like play 2 rookies on the field this year. Only because there hasn't been many standout rookies from this line in all the preseason talk but this could change over NAB Challenge.

MIDS: First of all being a Freo guy, love your Fyfe pick. He is super unique. There is a lot of value in this line which I really like. Michie dominated WAFL last year, even though he missed the last few games. He should get the opportunity at the Dees to show what he can do. Your rookies are solid also and like the dpp link.

RUCKS: Again this is a pretty standard setup across quite a few teams and my favourite at that.

FWDS: Very Strong. Danger, Martin, ROughy, Buddy and Pavlich are all proven premos and both Pav and Buddy are great value. Keep an eye on Kersten, he has had an interrupted preseason. Other rookies to consider are Impey and Lloyd.

Cheers mate, appreciate it :)

Ricochet

Quote from: brad on January 30, 2014, 02:53:32 PM
McVeigh, Mitchell, Hanley, Suckling, K.Kolodjashnij, McDonald  (Fuller, Battersby)
Ablett, Pendlebury, Murphy, D.Beams, D.Thomas, C.Beams, J.Martin, Michie  (Dunstan, O'Rourke)
Naitanui, Sandilands  (Currie, Brown)
Dangerfield, Martin, Franklin, Chapman, Clark, Rohan  (Markworth, Garlett)

$40,300 remaining

my first crack at SC this year so not sure how this stacks up. any advice is appreciated mate

cheers

DEF: Great top end picks here brad and Suckers is great value. But as I mentioned to benno123, personally I'm not sold on the rookie defender pool this year and I think fielding two rookies is a bit risky. But we will see over NAB Challenge who stands out.

MIDS: Love the mix of top end premo's and underpriced proven performers. Rookies are also strong. I like this line

RUCKS: NIcNat/Sandi combo is my favourite combo and most will go this way. Rooks will become more obvious over NAB but also consider Nankervis, Thurlow and Lobb on your watchlist.

FWDS: Love the Chappy pick. I have him also and think we'll see him back up the top end of the scorers. At his price he is a perfect pick. Again a good mix of top end premos and value picks. Keep an Clark. As I mentioned to Jay, he is in doubt for round 1. Consider Fasolo or Higgins.

Overall a good start mate. You have a good balance of premos and value picks. My only concern is the depth of the backline with fielding two rookies every week but we can monitor that over NAB Challenge.

Ricochet

Quote from: Jayman on January 30, 2014, 03:33:16 PM
Thanks for that, Ric :) love your work.

Quick question regarding replacing Clark. Who would you go out of Rohan, Fasolo and Higgins? Its tough, none really jump out at me but probably the best 3 options in the mid-range category... Or would you consider Hogan or Bock?
No dramas mate. In terms of proven scorers I like Higgins. It depends how much risk you want to take but at only 250k I think he is the best pick here. Plus if he does fail at that price you can drop down to Fasolo or Rohan without needing any extra cash

Nige

Hey Ric, hope you don't mind a bit of a squizz at my full team (got a pic because I wanted to save myself a draft).

Basically, my biggest problems are certain positions, with those being:

- Not sure about Lumumba or who to pick instead.
- Do I need GAJ, and how should I go about getting him in if I do?
- Is that forward line too risky?

Any other analysis and advice is most welcome.  :)

Got $144,700 left.

vmac66

Was thinking about atley as a breakout contender . .? At 394k there is a bit too much risk for me mate. To be a viable selection as a breakout pick he would need to average in the early 90s to make 100k. This is on par with guys like Adcock. Personally I see a nice improvement of 10ish points but not enough to pick him at that price.
Do you think Hanley will be top 6-8 defender . ? Yes quite easily a top 8, and even top 5.
All the hype about lobbe , is he the bargain / breakout people are thinking he will be . .? I'm not sold on him. I think he has another year or two under his belt before he'll join the top end premos. His finish to the year was good but it was against Blicavs/Vardy, Grundy, Gorringe and a tough one against ZClarke. There's also the concern that Redden will play along side him, affecting his scores.
Is jobe too good a price to miss out on . .? On par with Cotchin in terms of value and what they can produce. Unfortunately I couldn't fit him in but yes he is a very good pick.

Thks for the reply Rico . .

Ricochet

Quote from: NigeyS on January 30, 2014, 03:48:56 PM
Hey Ric, hope you don't mind a bit of a squizz at my full team (got a pic because I wanted to save myself a draft).

Basically, my biggest problems are certain positions, with those being:

- Not sure about Lumumba or who to pick instead.
- Do I need GAJ, and how should I go about getting him in if I do?
- Is that forward line too risky?

Any other analysis and advice is most welcome.  :)

Got $144,700 left.
Hey man, no dramas.

DEF: Interesting pick with Harry. I'm not really a fan tbh. He scored really well when playing up on a wing but with Shaw gone and Seedy injured we might see him back to his backline role. Around that price I would probably rather Birchall, Henderson or Grimes. Love your Hurn pick though. He is already about 8-10 points under priced with his vest and there are rumours of more time up the ground. Sucking is great value and your top end premos are solid.

MID: Interesting couple of uniques here. Sloane is a great POD and Ellis already represents good value because of his vests. Only concern with Ellis is coming off a first real breakout year that you rarely see kids back it up. But if he does it will be a genius pick.  Pendles and Beams are great picks and your rookies are fine.

RUCKS: Mummy is a nice POD and premo scorer. I'm not a massive fan of the Lobbe pick as he is unproven and your missing out on the value of Sandi or HMac. If your going down the track of set and forget I would look at a proven player at R2. Personally I don't see the reward equalling the risk involved with Lobbe, but that is just my opinion on him.

FWDS: Martin is a great top end premo pick and love Caddy as a breakout mid pricer. Interest pick in Tippett, any reason why over someone like Buddy? Clark is in doubt for R1 with no return date set for him so I'd look to Fasolo, Higgins, Rohan as possible replacements.

Overrall not bad mate. A couple of very nice POD picks and a couple that I'm not too keen on but they could pay off. On Harry I would look to Birchall, Hendo or Grimes. Tbh I think GAJ is a must and I think he is actually under priced. And I'd be interested to hear your reasonings on Tippett, because to me it makes your fwd line look a little weak but I'm sure you have some good reasons :)

Nige

Quote from: Ricochet on January 30, 2014, 05:16:47 PM
Hey man, no dramas.

DEF: Interesting pick with Harry. I'm not really a fan tbh. He scored really well when playing up on a wing but with Shaw gone and Seedy injured we might see him back to his backline role. Around that price I would probably rather Birchall, Henderson or Grimes. Love your Hurn pick though. He is already about 8-10 points under priced with his vest and there are rumours of more time up the ground. Sucking is great value and your top end premos are solid.
Yeah, was originally gonna go with Seedy, but then he went for surgery and that was that. I'm thinking Hendo or Grimes as well, might flip a coin on it, or alternatively see what the trend is and go the other way.

MID: Interesting couple of uniques here. Sloane is a great POD and Ellis already represents good value because of his vests. Only concern with Ellis is coming off a first real breakout year that you rarely see kids back it up. But if he does it will be a genius pick.  Pendles and Beams are great picks and your rookies are fine.
I figured that if I can pick the right uniques that will still score as well as the standard picks, then I should be fine. I had Cotch before Ellis, but as the days go by, I feel more and more inclined to take the risk on Brandy. 

RUCKS: Mummy is a nice POD and premo scorer. I'm not a massive fan of the Lobbe pick as he is unproven and your missing out on the value of Sandi or HMac. If your going down the track of set and forget I would look at a proven player at R2. Personally I don't see the reward equalling the risk involved with Lobbe, but that is just my opinion on him.
I really think Mummy can get back to his 2011 scoring, or if not, closer to it than the past couple of years. I'm not sure whether I'm too keen on picking a HMac or a Sandi given their injuries, so I'm wondering whether setting and forgetting with somebody like big Will Minson alongside is the go.

FWDS: Martin is a great top end premo pick and love Caddy as a breakout mid pricer. Interest pick in Tippett, any reason why over someone like Buddy? Clark is in doubt for R1 with no return date set for him so I'd look to Fasolo, Higgins, Rohan as possible replacements.
For me, it was either Lukey Parker or Josh Caddy. Flipped a coin and decided to roll with Caddy, if I wasn't to go with either, I thought of taking a risk of Luke Dahlhaus. I reckon as far as a Clark replacement goes, I'll go with Missy Higgins. He's got great upside if he stays on the park. As for Buddy, it seems like a lot of people will be picking him, and I reckon Tippz will have a similar output and that by picking him instead, I'm not losing out by much, if at all. 

Overrall not bad mate. A couple of very nice POD picks and a couple that I'm not too keen on but they could pay off. On Harry I would look to Birchall, Hendo or Grimes. Tbh I think GAJ is a must and I think he is actually under priced. And I'd be interested to hear your reasonings on Tippett, because to me it makes your fwd line look a little weak but I'm sure you have some good reasons :)
Cheers for insight and advice, always good to hear the opinions of others.  8)

WizzFizz

Wanting to fit Nicnat in there somehow.

Overall thoughts on the team?

Aaron26

DEF: A. Walker, G. Birchall, M. Suckling, R. Henderson, J. Grimes, M. Fuller (L. Mcdonald, J. Battersby)
MID:S. Pendlebury, J. Watson, M. Barlow, D. Beams, D.Thomas, J. Aish, V. Michie, L. Dunstan (X. Ellis, J. O'Rourke)
RUC: N. Naitanui, B. Longer ( R. Lobb, T. Nankervis)
FWD: P. Dangerfield, D. Martin, L. Franklin, M. Pavlich, M. Clark, A. Fasolo (D. Garlett, M. Honeychruch)

- i believe pendlebury will step it up even if its just allitle bit more now that he's captain
- thinking aish's elite skills will help his SC scoring
- hoping pavlich can return to his old ways but he might be done
- longer will most likely swap to sandi if he doesnt get a game
- thinking of taking a punt on cotchin but who to get rid of for him?

The Pelican

Defenders: McVeigh, Mitchell, Thompson, Swallow, Suckling, Kolojashnij (Fuller, Cutler)
Midfielders: Pendlebury, Swan, Steven, Murphy, Beams, Martin, Michie, Dunstan (Crouch, Garlett)
Rucks: Lobbe, Sandilands (Lobb, Nankervis)
Forwards: Dangerfield, Martin, Gunston, Clark, Fasolo, Lennon (Impey, Honeychurch)

$52,800 left

Bennny

What are your thoughts on Luke Parker? Can he lift to premium status... cheers

GCSkiwi

Hey Rico

Thanks for putting up an advice thread:

For F2/F3 spot (Behind Danger): Franklin + Pavlich or Dustmart + Darling?

For my mind it's a clear Buddy Pavlova but I have a Dustbin Vendetta after he killed me 2 years running, which probably gives me a mental block against picking him. Just concerned about whether Buddy and Pav can find their form again... If they can I think there's every chance Dustbin won't be top 6...

krajit06

Hey mate, appreciate some help with this one haha thanks mate!

Ricochet

Quote from: WizzFizz on January 30, 2014, 05:39:24 PM

Wanting to fit Nicnat in there somehow.

Overall thoughts on the team?

DEF: Probably one of the better defensive lines I've seen mate. Great top end premos with a good breakout contender and an underpriced premo. Great line.

MIDS: Another good line. Some great value picks in Cotchin, Thomas and Beams. Some good rookies here also. Be wary of Morabito. He will struggle to get in the best 22 and if so will likely cop vests.

RUCKS: Personally I'm not a massive fan of Lobbe for reasons giving to some people above. You could look at going Cotchin down to Murphy to bring the extra cash and then Lobbe to NicNat. Lobb and Nank are good rookie picks also. Also consider Thurlow.

FWDS: Love the Pav pick and your top end premos in Martin and Danger. Franklin speaks for himself and Garlett looks like playing round 1.

Overall one of the better teams I've seen mate apart from the Lobbe pick but thats just my opinion on him. If you could get NicNat in for him it would finish it off

WizzFizz

Thanks Rico!!!

Murph's value is too good to overlook.