F3 - Chad Wingard v Lance Franklin

Started by Maggie May, January 25, 2014, 11:10:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maggie May

Okay, so looking through a lot of "Rate My Teams" both here and on other sites, the most common players used at F3 seems to be either Wingard or Franklin.  So I thought I'd start a discussion about them to find out everyone's thoughts on them. My thoughts on them:

Chad Wingard:
Pros: 
- Although he has the dpp, he'll play most of his time in reality in the midfield, so essentially he is an extra midfielder you can select in your forward line.
- Port Adelaide is an improving side so they should be competitive enough that Wingard will have the opportunity to get good scores often.

Cons:
- He's essentially had one good year and is still young.  Can he back it up?
- There is no doubts that other teams will be more aware of him.  Will ha be able to cope with extra attention?

Lance Franklin:
Pros:
- At the Swans should go back to playing a similar role to what he played when he was at his best at the Hawks.
- The Swans are a good side so he should see a lot of the ball in the Forward line.

Cons:
- Franklin is a very frustrating SC prospect.  At his best he'd score 200 one week and 60 the next.
- With potentially both Tippett and Reid in the forward line will enough of the ball go through him often enough?

What is everyone's thoughts about these two prospects?

colmullet

I'd like to see Wingard be able to back it up, i think teams will put a bit more towards him this year and Port had a pretty cruisy draw last year.

Not to sure how the Swans use Buddy, hell they might even rotate him and Goodes between wing and forward

Peter

quinny88

Franklin easily. proven premium, could easily finish the season as the top scoring forward.

As good as Wingard was, he wasn't paid respect all year. This year he will cop tags and tight defenders every game.
Also he had a lot of inflated scores from kicking goals late in close games.

shaker

I will go Wingard , Franklin chose the cash and there is nothing wrong with that but he was earning good money at a very successful club that he had been a part of since drafted just think he is more concerned about self image these days so will steer clear , 10 years 10 million silly silly silly Swans and no I am not a pissed off Hawk supporter just my opinion

quinny88

Quote from: shaker on January 25, 2014, 01:21:10 PM
I will go Wingard , Franklin chose the cash and there is nothing wrong with that but he was earning good money at a very successful club that he had been a part of since drafted just think he is more concerned about self image these days so will steer clear , 10 years 10 million silly silly silly Swans and no I am not a pissed off Hawk supporter just my opinion

I don't see what that has to do with his supercoach scores though?
If anything he has a lot to prove

shaker

Quote from: quinny88 on January 25, 2014, 01:41:13 PM
Quote from: shaker on January 25, 2014, 01:21:10 PM

I don't see what that has to do with his supercoach scores though?
If anything he has a lot to prove

No like I said just my opinion but lets face it he didn't really set the world on fire last year and it's such a stupid contract he must be still pinching himself just a feeling I have about Buddy Bondi and if he has still got time for footy with all his new fame and fortune

_wato

I love how we all think money in Australian Football is superb, but you only have to look overseas and realise blokes like Christiano Ronaldo earns $200,000,000 to play with Real Madrid and that's not including endorsements, and NBA players that sit on the bench earn $3-4,000,000 each, to basically watch the game.

A 10 year contract to me screams safety for Franklin, and really he only has to knuckle down now and play football to the best of his abilities now, and everyone is happy. I'm not sure I'd be worrying about his self image to be honest either, he'll be busting his ass to impress everyone watching him on the footy field. He knows he's good, he knows he had an off year, he knows everyone is targeting him, he knows his decision copped scrutiny and he knows he has something to prove. He has the team and support structures around him, now it's just upto him to relive the heights of his last few years. I think he can do it, so improvement is the only possibility, and if his game improves so will his fantasy scoring. I am expecting 105-110+ quite easily

shaker

Quote from: _wato on January 25, 2014, 02:08:33 PM
I love how we all think money in Australian Football is superb, but you only have to look overseas and realise blokes like Christiano Ronaldo earns $200,000,000 to play with Real Madrid and that's not including endorsements, and NBA players that sit on the bench earn $3-4,000,000 each, to basically watch the game.

A 10 year contract to me screams safety for Franklin, and really he only has to knuckle down now and play football to the best of his abilities now, and everyone is happy. I'm not sure I'd be worrying about his self image to be honest either, he'll be busting his ass to impress everyone watching him on the footy field. He knows he's good, he knows he had an off year, he knows everyone is targeting him, he knows his decision copped scrutiny and he knows he has something to prove. He has the team and support structures around him, now it's just upto him to relive the heights of his last few years. I think he can do it, so improvement is the only possibility, and if his game improves so will his fantasy scoring. I am expecting 105-110+ quite easily

Cheers wato it would be pretty boring if we all had the same opinions I'm glad we don't , it sounds like you are going with him and I'm not , we will have to wait and see who got it right come the end  of the season . Feel a bit of karma or murphys law coming to bite the Swans on the arse

Noz

Wingard is boss no one will be able to stop him when he becomes the first man to win 5 brownlow medals in a row.

Franklin now that he gets paid a million a year wouldn't even care about playing football.

_wato

Quote from: Noz on January 25, 2014, 02:37:54 PM
Wingard is boss no one will be able to stop him when he becomes the first man to win 5 brownlow medals in a row.

Franklin now that he gets paid a million a year wouldn't even care about playing football.

A million a year isn't much in today's sport? Its like dining at the corner store compared to dining at the fanciest restaurant.
Could you imagine the scrutiny he'd get if he just gave up on football? Mate, to be honest you get a limited time playing AFL and only the very best get it good, and he is one of the very best, and I can see him proving why. He likes to be the very best, not second best. He loves the attention, and when 50,000+ fans pack into ANZ and when the SCG is chockablock block full of people screaming his name he'll want to dominate and kick bags and get BOG's and what not because that's the player he is
Everyone at Sydney has said they've been so impressed by his preseason and that's he's really working harder than anyone and I believe them, I think he's in for a great year
Sure money might hinder some of his decisions, but life outside of AFL is very very dull even for Lance 'Buddy' Franklin
Why do you think they all become coaches and commentators straight after football? They get bored and if Buddy just worried about his money he'd get bored. Footy is his passion and he'll state why this year.

Edit: Wingard will never win a Brownlow, much like Scott Pendlebury, hate to say it buddy..

_wato

Quote from: shaker on January 25, 2014, 02:25:06 PM
Cheers wato it would be pretty boring if we all had the same opinions I'm glad we don't , it sounds like you are going with him and I'm not , we will have to wait and see who got it right come the end  of the season . Feel a bit of karma or murphys law coming to bite the Swans on the arse

Yeah thanks a heap mate, you too. Hopefully I become the person who got it right hahaha

Grazz

shaker

Quote from: _wato on January 25, 2014, 02:49:44 PM
Quote from: shaker on January 25, 2014, 02:25:06 PM

Yeah thanks a heap mate, you too. Hopefully I become the person who got it right hahaha

Don't get me wrong wato Buddy will be making the headlines just don't think it will be about his supercoach scores to often haha cheers

Dudge

I'm going with Wingard, my reasoning is just so biased, I refuse to type it, so there !! SCG to small for Buddy