Main Menu

WXV Discussion

Started by ossie85, August 06, 2013, 12:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricochet

Quote from: Holz on December 16, 2014, 03:28:16 PM
Quote from: Ricochet on December 16, 2014, 03:23:29 PM
Yeh but every year (if your players keep improving) you will have to trade down from 35k to 30k (for arguments sake) and each year the bottom teams will be able to have more depth/ammo that the top teams for trading in quality players. There will always be better traders than others, but if you can give the bottom teams more ammo/depth to trade with and the top teams less, it should bring the comp closer together eventually

it possibly helps the bottom clubs if those are the people the top teams trade with, but primarily this doesn't happen. I think a majority of my trading was with the teams inside the top 8 and that seemed the way with the other top teams.

for example this trade.  Sandi + Gibbs for Rocky. that trade helps Jroo under the cap (while I say improving his list). I didn't see much of trading away guns for picks to help the weak clubs.
Yeh but if those top teams are above 30k, they'll have to trade with the bottom teams.

Holz

Quote from: Hellopplz on December 16, 2014, 03:35:44 PM
PNL (Iceland in Euros) trade with bottom teams, Holz's teams do not, it's just how he is :P.

that's the euro ;)

Holz is a bottom team and I trade with the top teams all the time :P

didn't see PNL lose any of their top guns for picks.

Holz

Quote from: Ricochet on December 16, 2014, 03:36:57 PM
Yeh but every year (if your players keep improving) you will have to trade down from 35k to 30k (for arguments sake) and each year the bottom teams will be able to have more depth/ammo that the top teams for trading in quality players. There will always be better traders than others, but if you can give the bottom teams more ammo/depth to trade with and the top teams less, it should bring the comp closer together eventually

it possibly helps the bottom clubs if those are the people the top teams trade with, but primarily this doesn't happen. I think a majority of my trading was with the teams inside the top 8 and that seemed the way with the other top teams.

for example this trade.  Sandi + Gibbs for Rocky. that trade helps Jroo under the cap (while I say improving his list). I didn't see much of trading away guns for picks to help the weak clubs.
Yeh but if those top teams are above 30k, they'll have to trade with the bottom teams.

not necessarily, the rocky trade was done with a middle of the road team. I don't think Dublin did any trading with the bottom squads (well I did but they were the ones that got rejected)

Ricochet

Quote from: Holz on December 16, 2014, 03:39:43 PM
Quote from: Ricochet on December 16, 2014, 03:36:57 PM

not necessarily, the rocky trade was done with a middle of the road team. I don't think Dublin did any trading with the bottom squads (well I did but they were the ones that got rejected)
The top teams would have to trade to lower their points though, which will have to be with a bottom/middle team (assuming top teams are near the max cap). Doesn't have to be top teams giving up guns. Even if its a top team giving up an ok player for a kid, it then gives the bottom teams more ammo to ontrade to get a premo.

Toga

Quote from: Holz on December 16, 2014, 03:37:21 PM
didn't see PNL lose any of their top guns for picks.

PNL did trade Jaensch (+ Shenton and Clay Smith) for Nat 5 ;)

upthemaidens

How about this.  Top teams have a lower points cap, weaker teams have a higher cap.

Example:  If you finish top 4 your max. cap for the following season is 27K, if you finish bottom 4 cap it's 32K, and the middle teams have the normal 30K.
    Or have a sliding scale i.e. 1st gets 27K and for every spot lower the squad gets +300pts extra, so 6th will get 28.5K and 18th will get 32K.

This would even out the comp. from year to year, would it not?
      It certainly will make strong teams have to manage their squads better and will force them to trade with teams that have room in their cap.

Jroo

I don't think that the top teams should be punished for being good. Plus what are the top teams meant to do? Trade all their guns to the bottom teams?

I must admit I wasn't a fan of the 30,000 cap at first, but it's not as bad as I expected. I'm happy for it to stay the same.

Ricochet

top teams wouldn't be trading guns. You'd be trading like a D6 for a kid that would equal D8+ or picks

Jroo

Quote from: Ricochet on December 16, 2014, 07:27:52 PM
top teams wouldn't be trading guns. You'd be trading like a D6 for a kid that would equal D8+ or picks
Well then how will we drop all those points? Look at us and Dublin. We only have 3-4 depth players who actually play. Outside that, most of our players have 0 cap points. So we'd have to get rid of guns or good depth.

Ricochet

Quote from: JROO8 on December 16, 2014, 07:37:31 PM
Well then how will we drop all those points? Look at us and Dublin. We only have 3-4 depth players who actually play. Outside that, most of our players have 0 cap points. So we'd have to get rid of guns or good depth.
That's the point man. Top team's 'good depth' are starters for bottom teams. It evens up the comp

Jroo

Quote from: Ricochet on December 16, 2014, 07:48:39 PM
That's the point man. Top team's 'good depth' are starters for bottom teams. It evens up the comp
Yeah but I doubt these bottom teams will be interested in half our players. Most teams aren't interested in competing now and don't want our old guys, haha.

I'm happy with the cap as it is now.

Ricochet

Quote from: JROO8 on December 16, 2014, 07:53:57 PM
Yeah but I doubt these bottom teams will be interested in half our players. Most teams aren't interested in competing now and don't want our old guys, haha.

Its more that 90% of top teams trades/offers are to improve their starting side. So using depth players to get a better player off the bottom teams. Thats why it looks like lesser teams dont like older players. if its the other way round (good depth for two lesser depth/picks) then the middle/bottom teams will jump at your good depth. The lower the max cap the more top teams will have to do that

Holz

Quote from: Ricochet on December 16, 2014, 08:25:11 PM

Its more that 90% of top teams trades/offers are to improve their starting side. So using depth players to get a better player off the bottom teams. Thats why it looks like lesser teams dont like older players. if its the other way round (good depth for two lesser depth/picks) then the middle/bottom teams will jump at your good depth. The lower the max cap the more top teams will have to do that

but the way the cap is arranged than to fit in the cap top teams need to reduce their depth. So wont trade a good depth for two lesser depth players as in most cases the two lesser depth players take up more cap than the quality depth.

for example a 80 average defender for two 65 average defenders actually increases your cap.

so the only way to really work is to package a bunch of bad depth for one good depth player.

e.g. I did Jack Redden + Michael Hurley + some spud for Tom Rockliff and that reduced my cap.

If it was the other way and lets say I wanted to give a weak team Tom Rockliff for Redden + Hurley I cant do that as it increases my points.

Ricochet

Quote from: Holz on December 16, 2014, 08:34:09 PM
Quote from: Ricochet on December 16, 2014, 08:25:11 PM

but the way the cap is arranged than to fit in the cap top teams need to reduce their depth. So wont trade a good depth for two lesser depth players as in most cases the two lesser depth players take up more cap than the quality depth.

for example a 80 average defender for two 65 average defenders actually increases your cap.

so the only way to really work is to package a bunch of bad depth for one good depth player.

e.g. I did Jack Redden + Michael Hurley + some spud for Tom Rockliff and that reduced my cap.

If it was the other way and lets say I wanted to give a weak team Tom Rockliff for Redden + Hurley I cant do that as it increases my points.
Not really man. Itd be more like
An 80ave depth player for one/two kids that have only played a handful of games or involving picks

upthemaidens

Quote from: JROO8 on December 16, 2014, 07:24:43 PM
I don't think that the top teams should be punished for being good. Plus what are the top teams meant to do? Trade all their guns to the bottom teams?

I must admit I wasn't a fan of the 30,000 cap at first, but it's not as bad as I expected. I'm happy for it to stay the same.
What's the difference between top teams being punished compared to weak teams being helped?
  Surely it's just the way you look at it, isn't it?    The same outcome is achieved.