Main Menu

WXV Discussion

Started by ossie85, August 06, 2013, 12:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Master Q

ossie85

Quote from: Nige on October 17, 2014, 12:50:18 PM
I do agree with Memph that it appears to be a two-horse race now and there's potentially an argument for it being a one-horse race.

Dublin and Mexico City are the clear favourites BUT stranger things have happened. I think with Buenos Aires doing a dramatic reshaping, we'll have 2 new teams in the top 4 next year.

In the finals, all it takes is a superb performance or some dud ones to really shake things up.

Shown that all 3 Minor Premiers have not won the flag, in fact 2 of them didn't even make the Grand Final.

We've also had 3 different premiers in 3 different years, so not too bad if either Dublin or Mexico City become the first team to win 2.

Memphistopheles

Quote from: ossie85 on October 17, 2014, 01:04:29 PM
I do agree with Memph that it appears to be a two-horse race now and there's potentially an argument for it being a one-horse race.

Dublin and Mexico City are the clear favourites BUT stranger things have happened. I think with Buenos Aires doing a dramatic reshaping, we'll have 2 new teams in the top 4 next year.

In the finals, all it takes is a superb performance or some dud ones to really shake things up.

Shown that all 3 Minor Premiers have not won the flag, in fact 2 of them didn't even make the Grand Final.

We've also had 3 different premiers in 3 different years, so not too bad if either Dublin or Mexico City become the first team to win 2.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing but it's kind of awkward in the trade period when you have 10-12 clubs all with the same plan (aiming to peak just after Mexico and Dublin do).

It means no-one wants the guys like Swan and Chapman from Buenos Aires except for Dublin and Mexico and then they get blocked from getting them anyway lol.

Holz

Quote from: Memphistopheles on October 17, 2014, 01:15:35 PM
Quote from: ossie85 on October 17, 2014, 01:04:29 PM

I'm not saying it's a bad thing but it's kind of awkward in the trade period when you have 10-12 clubs all with the same plan (aiming to peak just after Mexico and Dublin do).

It means no-one wants the guys like Swan and Chapman from Buenos Aires except for Dublin and Mexico and then they get blocked from getting them anyway lol.

this is the big issue, nobody wants to compete and thats a big problem. I offered up guys like Mundy and Watson who have plenty of years left and only the contenders wanted them. People need to realise this is fantasy anything can happen.

The best case to look at is the Euro. Serbia has been an absolute powerhouse there for the last two years. IN the home and away season they won 26 out of 28 games and been far more dominant than any world team has ever been. Yet they didnt win the flag either year. Iceland instead came from 5th this year to take it out even though on paper it looked like they were no chance against Serbia they tried to compete with the big clubs and took it out.

Not sure why but there seems to not be a want to compete in the Worlds at all, with people not looking at guns with years left because they plan to be dominant in 3-4 years. What I have learnt from coaching Serbia is the season is nothing is ever a certainty and Dublin is no certainty to win this year and in fact may not even make the grand final.

People cant complain that Dublin is too dominant when really every is planning to be dominant in 3-4 years. If Dublin is to win its going to be more from Clubs choosing not to compete, opposed to Dublin pulling away. This is why coaches like HP Daz as an example will win flags as every year they go out to compete. Sure they could rebuild and become more dominant later but they try and put a strong team out every year while also making sure they can stay  up there for as long as possible. Thats what people should strive for, not going young than making a powerhouse in 3-4 years.

Nige

Quote from: Holz on October 17, 2014, 03:46:37 PM
This is why coaches like HP Daz as an example will win flags as every year they go out to compete. Sure they could rebuild and become more dominant later but they try and put a strong team out every year while also making sure they can stay  up there for as long as possible. Thats what people should strive for, not going young than making a powerhouse in 3-4 years.
This is what we at Cairo are doing too. Got a few older players and don't mind that. Happy to have a fairly even team across the board year after year to be able to compete and be in with a sneaky chance (see: 2013 and on occasion in 2014). We're a bit like North, need to bridge the gap between our best and worst.  :P

Holz

Quote from: Nige on October 17, 2014, 04:05:48 PM
Quote from: Holz on October 17, 2014, 03:46:37 PM
This is why coaches like HP Daz as an example will win flags as every year they go out to compete. Sure they could rebuild and become more dominant later but they try and put a strong team out every year while also making sure they can stay  up there for as long as possible. Thats what people should strive for, not going young than making a powerhouse in 3-4 years.
This is what we at Cairo are doing too. Got a few older players and don't mind that. Happy to have a fairly even team across the board year after year to be able to compete and be in with a sneaky chance (see: 2013 and on occasion in 2014). We're a bit like North, need to bridge the gap between our best and worst.  :P

yeah was just using PNL as an example there are a few teams going out there to compete which is great.

Hellopplz

Double mention in there >:D.

Worlds do have quite a few teams that can compete for top 8 spots and the bottom guys are slowly bridging the gap. Just need Dublin/Mexico to have an off week and they are eliminated from the finals! Happened in Euros to Serbia twice in two seasons, even though they were clearly above the pack point wise (clear 100 off from the pack which involved like 5-6 teams).

Even comps are there and fair enough having the top teams clear of the rest as they can falter (e.g. Sydney and Hawks), I've always been for having a mix of ages so can constantly compete rather than bide my time until I can have a legit premiership tilt. To be honest, PNL/Iceland were made to be just finals teams, not exactly Premiership quality unless we get a bunch of guys to step up to the next level like Iceland did.

Think quite a few teams are still trying to compete but are into covering their bases incase injuries do strike (which is why PNL had a bunch of depth almost every season :P ).

Justin Bieber

Why can't Worlds be the same in the other comps? No one wants to do trades like these in other comps. Not sure why :(

RaisyDaisy

You cant say we are not trying to compete

NY has thrown the kitchen sink at 2015 and beyond :P

Purple 77

I have the master plan of getting into the finals, and fluking my way to the premiership  :P

That plan got me to the prelims in 2013  :P

DazBurg

Quote from: ossie85 on October 17, 2014, 11:39:26 AM

So...

I quite liked the way Rio de Janeiro and Christchurch have turned out. Think it freshen things up a bit.

Wondering if we want to make this a regular thing every year?

For example:
- A coach resigns from a team after Round 8 next year. A new coach is selected and he is the 'caretaker' of that team for the rest of the year.
- Another coach resigns after Round 12. Another Caretaker is appointed.
- Another coach resigns at the end of the season. No caretaker is needed.

So after the season ends, those 3 teams will be combined into a draft. The 2 caretaker coaches and another newly selected coach would then get the chance to draft from the squads of those 3 teams.

It may give the new coaches a sense of ownership of the team if they got to select the players.

Did that make sense?

so what happens if only 1 coach resigns for the year?

or are they "forced" resignations?

Nige

Quote from: The BeDazzler on October 18, 2014, 10:46:33 AM

So...

I quite liked the way Rio de Janeiro and Christchurch have turned out. Think it freshen things up a bit.

For example:
- A coach resigns from a team after Round 8 next year. A new coach is selected and he is the 'caretaker' of that team for the rest of the year.

So after the season ends, those 3 teams will be combined into a draft. The 2 caretaker coaches and another newly selected coach would then get the chance to draft from the squads of those 3 teams.

It may give the new coaches a sense of ownership of the team if they got to select the players.

Did that make sense?

Then it obviously won't happen.

I'm fairly this is just an idea/plan for if two teams lose coaches.

DazBurg

Quote from: Nige on October 18, 2014, 10:47:24 AM
Quote from: The BeDazzler on October 18, 2014, 10:46:33 AM

So...

For example:

Did that make sense?

Then it obviously won't happen.

I'm fairly this is just an idea/plan for if two teams lose coaches.
figured just wanted to make sure before commenting properly ;)

but yeah if that so then i'm all for it

(though with the coaches we got now i don't see alot of resignations now imo)

CrowsFan

Quote from: The BeDazzler on October 18, 2014, 11:00:13 AM
Don't think many saw me resigning, so anything can happen ;)

DazBurg

Quote from: Honey Badger on October 18, 2014, 11:51:46 AM
Quote from: The BeDazzler on October 18, 2014, 11:00:13 AM
Don't think many saw me resigning, so anything can happen ;)
oh ofc HB wasn't implying anything of the sort at all mate
but that is a very good point i never saw that coming either