Main Menu

WXV Discussion

Started by ossie85, August 06, 2013, 12:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Manspeaker

looking at the recent posts and I see kb say he's eating reindeer for dinner. thought it was coaches thread.

coming to ask how it was. disappointed :(

ossie85

ossie85

So...

I quite liked the way Rio de Janeiro and Christchurch have turned out. Think it freshen things up a bit.

Wondering if we want to make this a regular thing every year?

For example:
- A coach resigns from a team after Round 8 next year. A new coach is selected and he is the 'caretaker' of that team for the rest of the year.
- Another coach resigns after Round 12. Another Caretaker is appointed.
- Another coach resigns at the end of the season. No caretaker is needed.

So after the season ends, those 3 teams will be combined into a draft. The 2 caretaker coaches and another newly selected coach would then get the chance to draft from the squads of those 3 teams.

It may give the new coaches a sense of ownership of the team if they got to select the players.

Did that make sense?

Jroo

Nige

I'm not opposed to it.

Ricochet

Quote from: ossie85 on October 17, 2014, 11:39:26 AM

So...

I quite liked the way Rio de Janeiro and Christchurch have turned out. Think it freshen things up a bit.

Wondering if we want to make this a regular thing every year?

For example:
- A coach resigns from a team after Round 8 next year. A new coach is selected and he is the 'caretaker' of that team for the rest of the year.
- Another coach resigns after Round 12. Another Caretaker is appointed.
- Another coach resigns at the end of the season. No caretaker is needed.

So after the season ends, those 3 teams will be combined into a draft. The 2 caretaker coaches and another newly selected coach would then get the chance to draft from the squads of those 3 teams.

It may give the new coaches a sense of ownership of the team if they got to select the players.

Did that make sense?
Only issue that may pop up, is one year you might get coach 1 who will go really young with his selections, and coach 2 who will get a lot of older players and be overly strong. Might not happen but it may. It didn't this time with the youngsters in the draft being quite strong already. Just the first thing I thought of

Nige

It is a good point Ric raises, especially if for example Dublin or Mexico were to be one of the teams and NDT or Beijing the other.

Ringo

I do not mind the idea at all - Seemed to work OK this year as well.

RaisyDaisy

Nice idea, but I think we should just cross that bridge when we get there, and play it by ear

It's an option, but other things need to be factored in, and can only be done so once we know what the situation is

Purple 77

Would it be a good idea if it was two weak teams though? Or should it only happen if a strong team was involved?

One of the reasons I liked the recent folding was that it turned one competitive team (although a pretty darn good one) into 2.

Nige

Quote from: Purple 77 on October 17, 2014, 11:53:05 AM
Would it be a good idea if it was two weak teams though? Or should it only happen if a strong team was involved?

One of the reasons I liked the recent folding was that it turned one competitive team (although a pretty darn good one) into 2.
Yeah, I feel like if it was two weaker teams it might not necessarily work as effectively as it did this time.

Memphistopheles

The idea worked well this season except for one thing - now there seems an even bigger gap between the top team in the competition (Dublin) and the second best team (Mexico City) and the rest.

Sao Paolo was easily the third best team in my opinion and now they have been brought back to the pack. Which means a lot of teams will be looking at their 2016/2017 prospects now rather than focusing on next year.

Nige

I do agree with Memph that it appears to be a two-horse race now and there's potentially an argument for it being a one-horse race.

JBs-Hawks

Just do a complete re draft :P

elephants