Main Menu

WXV Discussion

Started by ossie85, August 06, 2013, 12:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holz

Quote from: Hellopplz on June 13, 2014, 08:31:38 PM

I think it's fair to say, the Dublin-PNL alliance may be helped with the above trade :P.

Sam Gray and at Dublin, Bootsma has been given the name Rocky for his rocks in his brain.

So yeah Sam Gray + Boots for Rioli lets do it.

Boots is a huge loss.

Justin Bieber

You can always keep Bootsma on your list forever ;). Just don't delist him and he'll be there in spirit!

kilbluff1985

Quote from: Hellopplz on June 13, 2014, 09:28:06 PM
You can always keep Bootsma on your list forever ;). Just don't delist him and he'll be there in spirit!

So many possible jokes  :-X

roo boys!

Quote from: Purple 77 on June 13, 2014, 06:08:17 PM
Buy low, sell high ay Holz?  :P
:'(

You'll probably do the same with Zorko too

Holz

Quote from: roo boys! on June 13, 2014, 10:52:34 PM

I tried to get jroo of you but you insisted on gray. Same with purp, I wanted wells but settled for nds.

Got lucky on both counts

Purple 77

It still stings that I traded away Dwallow... if he was a pure mid it would sting so much less... at least he will be next year

Purple 77

Quote from: roo boys! on June 13, 2014, 10:52:34 PM

It was the one trade I got really, really lucky in  :P

DazBurg

Quote from: Hellopplz on June 13, 2014, 06:28:30 PM
PNL may be looking to move Goldsack, Dawes and possibly a big name forward if the right offer comes along ;).

PNL also may table some others as well
this off season will be more active for PNL i hope

ossie85

Idea to avoid byes next year, just an idea, cos I like thinking of them.

Currently we have 23 rounds, with 3 of them bye rounds. We split that into 17 WXV Rounds, 4 weeks of finals and 1 Representative week. While I think the current way of handling the bye rounds (1.5 rounds), I've never been a huge fan.

A solution? This:

Based on current scoring (so will change at end of year), and keeping rivals intact, have the following groups:

A: Dublin, London, PNL, Berlin, Pacific, Wellington (total 8075 points)
B: Mexico City, Toronto, Moscow, New York, Seoul, Tokyo (total 8209 points)
C: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires, Cairo, Cape Town, Beijing, New Delhi (total 8122 points)

Rounds 1-10

Each Group Plays everyone else in the group twice.

Rounds 11-15

Top Tier: 1st and 2nd place in each group
Middle Tier: 3rd and 4th place in each group
Bottom Tier: 5th and 6th place in each group

Each Tier plays everyone in that tier once. Top tier plays for positions in top 6, middle tier plays for last 2 finals spots, bottom tier plays for pride.

4 Weeks of Finals

Same as AFL, with positions decided by:

1st: 1st in Top Tier
2nd: 2nd in Top Tier
3rd: 3rd in Top Tier
4th: 4th in Top Tier

5th: 5th in Top Tier
6th: 6th in Top Tier
7th: 1st in Middle Tier
8th: 2nd in Middle Tier

So 1st v 4th, 2nd v 3rd, 5th v 8th, 6th v 7th, etc....

The Three Bye Rounds

State of Origin Matches

Left over Round

EurAsia and APP Alliance Match

Nige

I really like the idea Oss, top work.  8)

Purple 77

While I appreciate the amount of thought and work put into this oz, but I am never going to support a tiered competition.

I hate the feeling of other teams being in a different group to me, it feels, unless you are in the top tier, that your achievement in your group is meaningless without having played the better teams, and hence would have a mostly meaningless year. Like, who would care how you went in the bottom or middle tier in a given week when the top teams are battling it out each week?

Nice idea, but one I won't be supporting to implement in Worlds.

ossie85

Quote from: Purple 77 on June 14, 2014, 11:58:06 AM
While I appreciate the amount of thought and work put into this oz, but I am never going to support a tiered competition.

I hate the feeling of other teams being in a different group to me, it feels, unless you are in the top tier, that your achievement in your group is meaningless without having played the better teams, and hence would have a mostly meaningless year. Like, who would care how you went in the bottom or middle tier in a given week when the top teams are battling it out each week?

I know I use the word tier, but it really isn't.

Basically it means after 10 rounds only 12 teams have a shot at finals.  Basically that is the same as it is now. Really only 12 have a real shot now

Purple 77

Quote from: ossie85 on June 14, 2014, 12:05:43 PM
Quote from: Purple 77 on June 14, 2014, 11:58:06 AM

I know I use the word tier, but it really isn't.

Basically it means after 10 rounds only 12 teams have a shot at finals.  Basically that is the same as it is now. Really only 12 have a real shot now

Yes, but it is out of playing 5 teams twice. The opponents you would have normally played may or may not have been beatable, and could shape your season in an entirely different way.

The idea takes a gigantic step away from modelling the AFL. We have rules to try and emulate the AFL as much as possible, so to have a completely different format to it... it wouldn't feel like fantasy football to me. *well purps, it is a FANTASY comp after all*, however true, the only fantasy aspects here is that players score fantasy points, play 15 on the field and play with their real life rivals; the things we can't control.

I just think an untraditional format will lead to untraditional results and ladder placings.

kilbluff1985

yeah i'm not a fan of this idea

if it ain't broke....

kilbluff1985

just curious

if you end the season under the minimum salary cap what happens if anything if you don't start the year over the minimum cap via trading?