My first attempt

Started by seeds40, January 23, 2014, 12:03:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seeds40

Hey guys just wanna get thoughts on my team, i have been fiddling around with it for a couple weeks now.. but i want to get an opinion of this one:

Backs: McVeigh, Walker, Hanley, Seedsman, K. Kolodjashnij, Fuller (Howard, Laidler)

Mids: Ablett, Montagna, S.Selwood, Liberatore, Beams, D.Thomas, J. Martin, Josh Kelly (Polec, Wearden)

Rucks: Natanui, Sandilands (Nankervis, Currie)

Forwards: Dangerfield, D.Martin, Wingard, Caddy, M.Clark, Rohan (Honeychurch, Kersten)

Remaining Salary: $35,200

Mr.Craig

A few points...

Montagna is suspended Round 1 so you'll want to hold off picking him until the following week.

I don't see Kelly as being a safe investment given the bloated GWS midfield. Dunstan, Anderson, Tyson or C.Beams would be alternatives who may have comparable or better scoring and JS while also being cheaper.

Wearden is an interesting pick, he could well debut this year but I'm not sure he'll give you enough games to make decent money. Might want to make sure you have a couple of alternatives if he isn't named Round 1.

Rucks seem a bit dangerous with both NicNat and Sandi coming off nasty injuries and no solid bench cover. What's the strategy if Sandi goes down early? You'd probably need to take money out of another position to replace him with someone decent and that would stuff your team around. If you don't want to play Longer at R3 then it may be worth having Brown at R4 and picking Roughead in the forwards as DPP insurance.

I can't see Honeychurch or Howard playing many games next year. They both seem to be wildly popular with coaches this pre season but I think reality will hit when it becomes apparent that won't be playing early. You could find some wriggle room in your salary cap to find decent replacements by downgrading one of your premium backs to Suckling who is really too cheap to ignore given his proven scoring ability.

So, a few things to play around with I think but it'll get there. :)

seeds40

Thanks for the tips mate, i forgot all about montagna being suspended in round 1, i was also a bit iffy on picking him due to the departure of Dal Santo and him getting a lot more attention now.. also the fact that he is like 31 now i think. Can i ask you a few tips? who would you think be a better option for the monty trade.. pendles or watson.. watson wuld save me a lot of cash and would avoid the round 1 Crowley tag.

As for Wearden i didn't really know who to pick as a 2nd mid bench option, i was considering woodward or even ellis?

I just couldn't go past the price tag of Sandi, i thought it was a bargain at that price (similar to Berger last year) we both know at his best he can produce great scores.

And finally regarding Suckling, your not worried he will get the green or even the red vest early on? :\
thats the main reason which stopped me from picking him

Thanks for your help mate

Azzas Dockers

If you swapped Montagna and Selwood for Murphy and Ellis\Savage you could save 200 to 300k with out losing much scoring ability.

I am not sure about J Martin and Josh Kelly, they may score well but they are priced quite high. I think Viv Michie and Clay Beams would offer better value.

I am happy with your starting rucks, but I would try to find the cash for Billie Longer. He will be a cash cow and provide excellent backup.

I would swap Wingard with Franklin in your forward line, I think he is a must have.

Once you have done this, try to upgrade Seedsman and Kolodjashnij if you have some spare cash.

Someone like Suckling and D Swallow would be big upgrades on both of these players.

Mr.Craig

I don't see a problem with picking Watson but I'd definitely look at getting Pendles in after Round 1.

With the M10 position, there's not a lot of choice in the 115k-135k price range but Ellis, O'Rourke, Gray and Gordon may present as possibilities.

Suckling, yeah there is an element of risk with vests but ultimately he should make a decent amount of money. Pretty much everyone is picking him so it won't hurt so much if you cop a low score. :)

seeds40

UPDATED TEAM:

BACKS: McVeigh, Walker, Hanley, D.Swallow, Suckling, L.McDonald (Fuller, Laidler)

MIDS: Ablett, S.Selwood, Watson, Liberatore, D.Beams, D.Thomas, J.Martin, Michie (Polec, O'Rourke)

RUCKS: Natanui, Sandilands (Longer, Currie)

FORWARDS: Dangerfield, Martin, Wingard, Caddy, Clark, Rohan (Honeychurch, Kersten)

REMAINING SALARY: $11,200

Open for all suggestions :)

Mr.Craig

Looks pretty good.

If you went Buddy instead of Wingard you could afford to replace Swallow with your boy Seedsman if you wish.

Azzas Dockers

Looks like a good team to me.

seeds40

thanks guys, yeah i really do think Seedsman is going to have a breakout year.. it's his 3rd year this year, with Shaw gone and Lumumba in the midfield permanently, he will definately be the one Collingwood look to when getting it out of defence.. but im not sure about buddy, he really let me down last year :\