Who's the better mid? Scott Pendlebury or Joel Selwood?

Started by _wato, January 20, 2014, 12:51:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_wato

I've heard a lot of debate about this question. I saw another question posed on an AFL Facebook page before and many comments were from everyday Australians who possibly aren't into their football as much as us fanatics, and to my surprise Selwood won the votes about 3:2 over Pendles.

Now I really would love to know your opinions. Obviously both are guns at the game and are the best players In their teams respectively. When making your decision it is purely based on them as AFL players and not in any way fantasy players.

Scott Pendlebury
Position:   Centre
Team:   Collingwood
Number:   10
Birthdate:   7 Jan 1988
Height:   191cm
Weight:   91kg
Recruited: Gippsland Power
State:   VIC
Debut:   2006, R10 vs BL
Games:   187
Goals:   118
Drafted: Pick 5, 2005

Joel Selwood
Position:   Centre
Team:   Geelong
Number:   14
Birthdate:   26 May 1988
Height:   182cm
Weight:   86kg
Recruited: Bendigo
State:   VIC
Debut:   2007, R1 vs WB
Games:   175
Goals:   98
Drafted: Pick 7, 2006

In your opinion state why you think either Pendlebury or Selwood is the better player and back up your answer with any type of stats and opinionated content you wish.

I really think this will be a tight pole, and good to see your thoughts. Obviously it's not a true representation but I would really like to see who the majority of FF members think is the best,
No club bias, purely honest posting. Had no idea where to post this so i thought the AFL forum would be the best place as it is purely about AFL and not fantasy football. Thanks a heaps everyone, this shall be very interesting :)

Vinny

Right now I think Pendles is better however soon I reckon Selwood will take over slightly but both will dominate the AFL for years to come. Although it is extremely close I think. Selwood is the main man at the Cats though and SJ comes close i guess. Pendles has Swan & Beams. Interested to see what people think too, good thread mate. :)

tbagrocks

I'd take Selwood any day, three Premierships to one after all! Was Captain first, the more natural footballer!

Adamant

I'd probably rather have Selwood in my side if I was a coach.

CrowsFan

Quote from: tbagrocks on January 20, 2014, 01:05:08 AM
I'd take Selwood any day, three Premierships to one after all! Was Captain first, the more natural footballer!
You can't use the premierships argument since it's a team game. Are you saying you would prefer Kym Koster to Pendles? After all he has won 2!

tbagrocks

There is a reason guys like Joel Selwood win Premierships

CrowsFan

Because he was part of one of the greatest teams of all time

tbagrocks

CrowsFan

Selwood won his premierships in his first, third and fifth year at the club.
The first premiership was more thanks to Ablett, Bartel, Corey, Ling etc. Yes he was more influential in the other two, but he still had one of the greatest teams surrounding him. Take Selwood out of those teams and 9 times out of 10 Geelong still would have won those grand finals

tbagrocks

You still need a Selwood mate, most great teams have a Selwood or two

Noz

Quote from: Honey Badger on January 20, 2014, 01:55:38 AM
The first premiership was more thanks to Ablett, Bartel, Corey, Ling etc. Yes he was more influential in the other two, but he still had one of the greatest teams surrounding him. Take Selwood out of those teams and 9 times out of 10 Geelong still would have won those grand finals

How can you say that? Selwood was one of their better players in every grand final year including 2007 he had one of the best debut season you could ask for.

CrowsFan

Quote from: Noz on January 20, 2014, 02:37:14 AM

How can you say that? Selwood was one of their better players in every grand final year including 2007 he had one of the best debut season you could ask for.
Yes he had a great debut season and probably set the tone for how we judge others in their first year, but if you're telling me that Geelong only won because of a kid in his first year, well then that's just plain wrong. He wasn't a star back then, he was just a solid contributor. You seriously can't say that Geelong won 3 flags all due to Selwood. You just have to look at the other players around him to know that's not the case.

Noz

Quote from: Honey Badger on January 20, 2014, 04:03:05 AM
Quote from: Noz on January 20, 2014, 02:37:14 AM

Yes he had a great debut season and probably set the tone for how we judge others in their first year, but if you're telling me that Geelong only won because of a kid in his first year, well then that's just plain wrong. He wasn't a star back then, he was just a solid contributor. You seriously can't say that Geelong won 3 flags all due to Selwood. You just have to look at the other players around him to know that's not the case.

Geelong won the grand final because they had one of the best teams ever. Their midfield was a huge part of their success and Selwood was also a huge part of all 3 of there grand finals. Selwood played his role and at the time they didn't really have many back up plans if Selwood didn't work out. He was brought into the team to play senior football from the get go and he did.

They didn't win the 3 flags only because they had Selwood but he was a major factor.

Ricochet

Very very interesting question wato, and very hard to answer. Without any stats, awards, premierships, etc. and by just my opinion from watching both play over the years I have to say Pendlebury is a better footballer... by a bees dick. Both have great attributes and strengths but for some reason I just lean towards Pendles.

Mailman the 2nd

Selwood and Pendlebury are different types of midfielders, so you can't really say which one is better anyway.

Most would say Selwood, because the margin between him and the 2nd best inside mid is greater than Pendlebury's