Will you start with ablett?

Started by Munyk, January 19, 2014, 10:53:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricochet

Goodes and Judd won their brownlows at a younger age so you can't compare

mark621

i have to head off back to work, been a pleasure. infact im cackling with laughter that so many are so upset at the notion gaz wont be as effective and the mere consideration, by what looks to be a good portion who have voted, not to pick him instantly is an insult.

Ricochet

It was more that you stated not picking him last year was a smart move mate. When clearly it wasn't

Bones Bombers

Nothing wrong with a 1700 ranking. Out of 350 odd thousand. Interesting with no Gaz.
Think some of your strange comments and wording has got people fired up so your point isn't getting across, but if you believe it, go for it.
I'll be starting Gaz.

j959

i vote no, pricey and uncertain whether Mckenna will move him forward more to give the young midfield brigade more of a go - therefore making GCS less predictable and adding class to their fwd-line ...

ben_020285

Will be starting him without a doubt. Was a fool and left him out of my starting side last year. Who knows where I would have finished overall if I had have started with the little master.

LOCK.

Ricochet

Quote from: j959 on January 20, 2014, 08:01:54 PM
i vote no, pricey and uncertain whether Mckenna will move him forward more to give the young midfield brigade more of a go - therefore making GCS less predictable and adding class to their fwd-line ...

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/gold-coast-superstar-gary-ablett-is-poised-to-remain-a-key-cog-in-the-suns-midfield/story-fnelctok-1226796776329

[McKenna]
"But the year Gary has had I'm not so sure I want him to go forward and have a holiday yet.

"He is still a great player and as much as we need to look after him he was so crucial in helping improve key stats for us.

"That's something we may look at but we know how big an influence he can have on matches when he's on the ball.''

GM

Quote from: Ricochet on January 20, 2014, 11:58:34 PM
Quote from: j959 on January 20, 2014, 08:01:54 PM

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/gold-coast-superstar-gary-ablett-is-poised-to-remain-a-key-cog-in-the-suns-midfield/story-fnelctok-1226796776329

[McKenna]
"But the year Gary has had I'm not so sure I want him to go forward and have a holiday yet.

"He is still a great player and as much as we need to look after him he was so crucial in helping improve key stats for us.

"That's something we may look at but we know how big an influence he can have on matches when he's on the ball.''
Lock for me

_wato

So many people are finding excuses to leave him out whether it be his price, his age, his teammates, his captaincy, his potential to play forward for a longer extent, not being the number one midfielder, being overtaken as #1 SC player, past his prime, lesser influence on games, and I've also heard him being called Jesus and the Jedi. I've basically heard it all in this thread.

Just LOCK the man in and have no issues at all about trading to get him in later. YES he is worth his price, YES he is still in his prime, NO his teammates won't steal points from him just yet, YES he has potential to play forward BUT that could benefit his scoring, NO that is just ridiculous he is still the number one mid in the comp, NO he will not be overtaken, NO he is not past it yet, NO will he lose his influence on games, and NO he is not the Jedi or Jesus, he is Gary Ablett jnr.

Rant over.

mark621

Quote from: _wato on January 21, 2014, 12:26:22 AM
So many people are finding excuses to leave him out whether it be his price, his age, his teammates, his captaincy, his potential to play forward for a longer extent, not being the number one midfielder, being overtaken as #1 SC player, past his prime, lesser influence on games, and I've also heard him being called Jesus and the Jedi. I've basically heard it all in this thread.

Just LOCK the man in and have no issues at all about trading to get him in later. YES he is worth his price, YES he is still in his prime, NO his teammates won't steal points from him just yet, YES he has potential to play forward BUT that could benefit his scoring, NO that is just ridiculous he is still the number one mid in the comp, NO he will not be overtaken, NO he is not past it yet, NO will he lose his influence on games, and NO he is not the Jedi or Jesus, he is Gary Ablett jnr.

Rant over.

i think by 'alot of people' i can be attributed to 9/10 of those remarks

all i can say is if you have the time go look in the history books, judd as perma captain cause hes always scoring highly. by 09 that idea was fading
2010 we saw swan come as the replacement of judd as perma captain, and by late 2011 people were winning games by avoiding him nearly entirely

2011 was the emergence of gaz for captain and hes gone up and up. but really. with an average perma captaincy of those attributed to that status for 2 years. gaz will now hit his 4th season as 'you must have him cause he will be the top again'
id be putting money on pendles to take the mantle of top spot comfortably. and by next year we will be talking of gaz in light of a POD
watch his fall

but remember i cannot predict his fall as much as anyone can predict he will stay up the top. i just go off the pure idea that how many years in a row can you say hes the best of all time, when similar things were said of judd and swan. short memories? or traumatic memories people have blocked out?

Dayze

Mat0369

Mark is right that this year may be the season not to start with Gaz. Age eventually does catch up with guys and with the heavy lifting Gaz has had to do at the Suns, this will be the year I would expect him to drop off a bit. Maybe not a huge drop off, but I wouldn't be surprised if he averages under 120. I know he is a freak and averaged close to 130 since 2008, but Gold Coast have the potential to push for finals this season and I think they will try and manage him through the season since he will be 30. He also has a tough first 3 rounds to start the season coming up against Crowley (although he scored close to 140 against Freo last year) and Raines in rounds 2 and 3. It might be worth looking at him after the first lot of price drops and save the cash

colmullet

yeah he has the potential to drop a little at the start but i don't see how ya raise the funds to get him in before like round 6 or 7 and by then he could have pushed it up again and then some

GM

Quote from: Mat0369 on January 21, 2014, 04:24:10 PM
Mark is right that this year may be the season not to start with Gaz. Age eventually does catch up with guys and with the heavy lifting Gaz has had to do at the Suns, this will be the year I would expect him to drop off a bit. Maybe not a huge drop off, but I wouldn't be surprised if he averages under 120. I know he is a freak and averaged close to 130 since 2008, but Gold Coast have the potential to push for finals this season and I think they will try and manage him through the season since he will be 30. He also has a tough first 3 rounds to start the season coming up against Crowley (although he scored close to 140 against Freo last year) and Raines in rounds 2 and 3. It might be worth looking at him after the first lot of price drops and save the cash
I really can't see enough cash being made to be able to do that so early.
So wasting a couple of sideways trades to get him is not wise.
Pendles has Crowley first up , so how will he go?
Happy to have Gazza as a pod though.

Mat0369

Just a quick look at Gaz's scores against his opponents over the last two seasons up until his bye in round 8

Richmond: 133, 120
Freo: DNP, 137
Bris: 129, 150, 112
Hawks: 189, 149
Melb: 165, 152, 67
GWS: 125, 126, 160, 164
NM: 188, 153

That is a 142.29 average, I withdraw my previous statement, even if he has a 10 ppg drop off (which is what I am expecting) through that period he will still average close to that 130 against those teams

Quote from: greenmoon on January 21, 2014, 04:35:15 PM
I really can't see enough cash being made to be able to do that so early.
So wasting a couple of sideways trades to get him is not wise.
Pendles has Crowley first up , so how will he go?
Happy to have Gazza as a pod though.

The difference with Pendles and Gaz is that Gaz is the most likely to be tagged, Freo could send Crowley to 3 different guys although Pendles is the most likely to receive the tag. There is also the age difference