Will you start with ablett?

Started by Munyk, January 19, 2014, 10:53:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricochet

Quote from: mark621 on January 20, 2014, 02:28:49 PM
smart move last year to avoid him, only 3 games in the year it would have been better to have him
how so?

GCSkiwi

nope, like franklin id watch him in the early rounds but with slowing down, gc speading up and guys like fyfe, libba, danger, pendes, jselwood and watdon all coming into that prime zone. im looking at him to fall out of the top 5 mids
smart move last year to avoid him, only 3 games in the year it would have been better to have him

Ablett to fall out of the top 5 mids? I want whatever you're smoking....

I've posted the number in another thread, Ablett averaged 138 in 2012 and was on track to repeat that until injured in the last few rounds of 2013. He still took out the highest average in the comp albeit very closely followed by Pendles. I was actually not going to start with him until I did the numbers and realised how badly those last few games affected him, prior to that he was caning Pendles. He is still the little master.

_wato

nope, like franklin id watch him in the early rounds but with slowing down, gc speading up and guys like fyfe, libba, danger, pendes, jselwood and watdon all coming into that prime zone. im looking at him to fall out of the top 5 mids

You have to be trolling, surely? Fyfe and Libba aren't even on the same page as Danger, Watson, Selwood and Pendles, then again, Ablett is a step further in front.

GCSkiwi

Quote from: _wato on January 20, 2014, 02:41:33 PM

You have to be trolling, surely? Fyfe and Libba aren't even on the same page as Danger, Watson, Selwood and Pendles, then again, Ablett is a step further in front.

I was going to say, after looking at his comments in the Daisy and Buddy threads, I smell a troll...

Vinny

No way in hell was it a smart move, more like only three games it would have been better to not have him. Bar those games he destroyed every week.

Dayze

Trolling for sure.
What more does Gaz need to do mate?
I think we are all looking for reasons to keep him out becoz we have all had him for so many years and it seems boring.
There is so much value with midfielders we are justifying it when u probably can't.
Agree with Rico u could argue he is underpriced.

mark621

you could argue that hes jesus resurrected but that doesnt make it true either
you could argue that he mere looks at the ball and using telekinesis is goes into his hands, which seems to me what most people believe happens if they think a 29 year old isnt actually 2 years now past his 'prime' age

there was 3 games where yes he top scored the league comfortably. every other game if he was the top it was by 1 or 2 points, and on the hole there were others. you talk about the stress of not worrying about captains, yet for the last third of last season, worrying about captains put people in better positions, and really aside from 3 games, worrying about captains may have given you an over all edge

fyfe and libba are nearing that prime age is why i included them, if you want to even utter the phrase in any post 'natural progression' then you must balance your statement out with 'natural regression'
not, "people get better through there careers and as they age slow down and become less valuable, unless your gaz who breaks the rules cause hes literally the son of god"

my apologies for any offence in relation to comparing Gaz to Jesus, it was not intended to be rude but merely a comparative between that religious relationship and that of what people thing gaz is

Ricochet

I would argue that 29 is still prime age? Look at SJ this year, and NRoo, Boomer, Petrie, Montagna... All older and had big years

GCSkiwi

bit of a spurious comparison though mate to say there was only 3 games he was clearly top of the league, of course there are games where someone else pulls out a score that beats his, someone will do it most weeks. The trick is that he does it week in week out, so yeah there was a game where Rory Sloane got 180 and Ablett got 67 (round 20 last year). But how many times did Gazza slam Sloane? an average 20 points better over the season suggests a lot. Every single week there will be one or two people who do better than him, but it's different people every week. Good luck picking that player week to week.

mark621

Quote from: Ricochet on January 20, 2014, 03:16:50 PM
I would argue that 29 is still prime age? Look at SJ this year, and NRoo, Boomer, Petrie, Montagna... All older and had big years

are you starting with those guys are you?
SJ: 4 games over 130 missing 5 games excluding by
lets see, NRoo 4 games over 130, 11 games under 100 2 under 80
boomer missed round 1-6 3 games over 130 (two of those were 130)
petrie 2 games over 130 4 under 80 and 1 under 50
montagna 6 over 130
so montagna out of 5 players is the only one that you could use to prove your point that 29 is still prime age?

as for picking the captain every week, can someone enlighten me how many of the top say 50 teams had gaz as captain every week, or were they more serious and thought about it and ended up on top?
i remember a friend of mine saying 'oh ohh oohhhhh swan is my captain hes the best and will kill it'
2 months later 'i traded swan'

colmullet

ya take the punt on the Vice Captain using the loophole but ya i bet they all had Gaz to fall back on if it didn't work out, that's where the extra points come from.

Ricochet

Quote from: mark621 on January 20, 2014, 03:29:24 PM

montagna 6 over 130
so montagna out of 5 players is the only one that you could use to prove your point that 29 is still prime age?
::) They're a fair bit older than GAJ.

Ablett 29yrs old 129ave... was going at 136 until the last few rounds
SJ 30yrs old 115ave... missed games through suspension. improved again at 30yrs old
NRoo 31yrs old 105ave... bounced back to his best at 31yrs old
Boomer 25yrs old 104ave... missed 1-6 through suspension not injury
Petrie 31yrs old 102ave.. had his best season to date in terms of SC as a 31yr old
Montagna 30yrs old 114ave... his best season since 2010 as a 30yr old

Ablett is younger and a far better player. Do not expect a drop off anytime soon

_wato

Add Dane Swan to that list, was 29 last year and averaged 117. Although it wasn't an improvement it was still a bloody good effort with 11+ 120 games and we all know how long he's been a fantasy scoring king for. If it wasn't for the amount of times he was benched imagine the scores he could've had, as he had some of the most impressive points per minute in the league.
Ablett is in another league to Swan which is hard to admit but true. Ablett will still remain king, and you've be silly to not think so.

Anubis

Quote from: mark621 on January 20, 2014, 03:29:24 PM

montagna 6 over 130

as for picking the captain every week, can someone enlighten me how many of the top say 50 teams had gaz as captain every week, or were they more serious and thought about it and ended up on top?
i remember a friend of mine saying 'oh ohh oohhhhh swan is my captain hes the best and will kill it'
2 months later 'i traded swan'

SJ - 6th best midfielder
Nroo - 2nd best forward
Boomer - 3rd best forward
Petrie - 4th best forward
Montagna - 7th best midfielder

PRIME

mark621

the top 3 teams
yes they had gaz, they had SJ
removing swan from that list cause i ant be bothered.

montagna, nroo, petrie, boomer, all not there?
prime?

the top 3 would probably argue against it..

the numbers how, yes over all you would have done well last year having gaz as captain every week.
however on average, if you picked the right person each will your roof would have been 79.238 better off over the season
having had gaz every week, your max would have increased 1664 points over the year

lets face it, there is some evidence to support picking gaz historically on his own basis is a smart move right from the start. however on the flip side there is also evidence to show that age of him, and his team and other players will also take an affect and teams may be better off to wait till hes prices mid 500's or lower