Main Menu

Is Leigh Matthews right

Started by Ringo, January 16, 2014, 05:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbagrocks

Nevertheless, with free agency the AFL will be screwed and one sided within years

Long Live Dumbetriou

quinny88

Quote from: tbagrocks on January 17, 2014, 12:52:26 AM
Nevertheless, with free agency the AFL will be screwed and one sided within years

Long Live Dumbetriou

Again.. There's still a salary cap. Everyone has the same money to pay players. Good players aren't going to play for free

tbagrocks

Quote from: quinny88 on January 17, 2014, 01:21:43 AM

Long Live Dumbetriou

Again.. There's still a salary cap. Everyone has the same money to pay players. Good players aren't going to play for free
Just you watch, see what you have to say next October

quinny88

Quote from: tbagrocks on January 17, 2014, 01:23:56 AM
Quote from: quinny88 on January 17, 2014, 01:21:43 AM

Long Live Dumbetriou

Just you watch, see what you have to say next October

Not sure what you are getting at?

Ringo

Thanks for the debate Quinny and I to realise not a lot can be done to even ot out - Was not suggesting you bulldoze your facilities just saying that maybe as the Salary Cap evens out the playing strength maybe it is time to introduce a cap or increased grants to clubs struggling to match "richer" clubs in the football department. 

I admit Brisbane problems of the last two years were some of their own making with Board not listening to members but it still not get away from how difficult it is to raise sponsorship in this town where we would be behind Broncos, Reds and maybe the Roar in the race for sponsorship. This something Southern State clubs do not have to contend with.

Ziplock

Quote from: quinny88 on January 17, 2014, 12:10:39 AM
Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on January 17, 2014, 12:07:04 AM
Of course its not really fair, but it can't really change at all

It's not fair that it's 43 degrees and my next door neighbours have big bloody in ground swimming pool but I'm not gonna go tell them to fill it in because I can't afford one :P

you could ask if you could go for a swim...

then if your neighbours are massive pricks and say no, buy a couple of bags of concrete and in the middle of the night...

nrich102

You Victorians dont know what its like living where you're the only person who likes "gayfl"

Capper

Quote from: Honey Badger on January 16, 2014, 05:58:01 PM
The Giants just opened a brand new training centre, so I doubt they are struggling for money tbag ;)
all paid for by the AFL as well. Mind you they bought the golf driving range i used to go to.

BOOOO!!!!!

Ziplock

Quote from: nrich102 on January 17, 2014, 10:56:53 AM
You Victorians dont know what its like living where you're the only person who likes "gayfl"

haha.

Struggle street :P

Master Q

Quinny is on the ball really. Not much else to say.

Anyway, can the state government chip in for anything?

---

Regarding FA, I'm scared that some teams will fall into the buzz and sign players for more than they are worth. Might take the game a while to transition into this new "age". I mean what the Bulldogs are paying Crameri  ::)

Ringo

Bit hard Q when the the Premier is a string Broncos man

Master Q

Quote from: Ringo on January 17, 2014, 08:08:14 PM
Bit hard Q when the the Premier is a string Broncos man
Queensland lives up to its name

Sports funding shouldn't be effected by the Premier's bias

Ringo

Yes Q we all know there is no bias or corruption favourites etc in politics,  ;) ;)

Seriously though waiting on Federal Govt commitment for the project AFL, Lions and State Government have all endorsed and supported project.

I do not want to get into a tbag like bias argument but I do not think you Southern states fans realise the difficult AFL has in League dominated states, If we get an AFL article on the 4th back page that is a bonus. There is nothing like the saturation you guys get in the press (Yes I enjoy my annual trip to Melbourne to get the media fix).

I try and keep up electronically but just wish to highlight how hard it is in Qld.

Master Q

I know you guys have problems and we hear about it too. Victoria definitely has its own problems too though, just different ones. And I'm sure League fans here (if there are any) feel the same but they may just get better treatment here, especially Melbourne being the sporting capital.

QLD now has two teams compared to Victoria only having one NRL team, plus WA and SA (No Super Rugby side either) don't have a team as well. Tassie also get some Footy as well, and NT get a game or two. All states that don't have NRL presence.

Victoria has it's own problems too, Tasmania problems have just been dumped on us, North and Bulldogs (Demons recently as well) struggles, Eddie McGuire bullshower and power struggles between top clubs (fixturing, MCG rights, Public holiday games).

nrich102

Quote from: Master Q on January 17, 2014, 08:46:38 PM
QLD now has two teams compared to Victoria only having one NRL team, plus WA and SA (No Super Rugby side either) don't have a team as well. Tassie also get some Footy as well, and NT get a game or two. All states that don't have NRL presence.
Poor old North Queensland :(

Also, outside Brisbane/Gold Coast, there is one senior AFL game for premiership points in Queensland. Queenslander not like NSW/Vic, where ther is Sydney/Melbourne and nothing else. If they want the game too expand, they need to play more games in rural areas. Seriously, they're playing the same amount of games in Alice than Rocky/McKay/Townsv*lle/Cairns.