Main Menu

Is Leigh Matthews right

Started by Ringo, January 16, 2014, 05:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ringo

Leigh has tweeted this:

"Rich clubs love the competitive advantage their wealth provides.they will never embrace equalization unless forced.power struggle looming !!"

Can see this being a little controversial but think he has a point when you consider clubs like North Melbourne, Melbourne and the like.

With their wealth the rich clubs can boast state of the Art training facilities and support which poorer clubs are unable to match.

tbagrocks

Don't know what Freo's like but Port struggle, I'm guessing so too would the Giants and Suns and a few more in Vic

Leigh is right but it doesn't really do much

quinny88

We have a salary cap for a reason. That's as much equalization as I'd ever want to see.
Fancy being told by the league that you need to sack some coaches or give up some of your state of the art facilities because other clubs can't afford them?
People always try to link reasons as to why some clubs are successful and some aren't. I'm sure the facilities and coaching staff help but it's not everything. st.kilda, the bulldogs, North Melbourne etc have all had recent success or been close to it.
Football clubs are a business at the end of the day and if they aren't run well they fail. The clubs that are run well shouldn't be punished because others can't run there's properly.

The RFC was run like a circus for years and was over 6 million in debt but since putting together a good board that run the club professionally like a business we are now in the positive and it's no surprise that our biggest profit year was 2013 after being more successful on field. If clubs get their business side right and the team do their bit then the money comes

CrowsFan

The Giants just opened a brand new training centre, so I doubt they are struggling for money tbag ;)

quinny88

Quote from: tbagrocks on January 16, 2014, 05:49:47 PM
Don't know what Freo's like but Port struggle, I'm guessing so too would the Giants and Suns and a few more in Vic

Leigh is right but it doesn't really do much

Port struggled because they were run badly and playing badly. Look how much that has already turned around since they got kochie, a professional business man running the club properly and getting a decent coach and started playing good footy. It all turns around pretty quick.

Gws and the GC will never struggle because the AFL will pump as much money as necessary into them until they succeeded.

It's just a beat up. Clubs trying to play the "poor us" card. There's plenty of money to be made for those that runs professional club and play decent footy on the field

valkorum

Freo have always been financial - even after paying our ridiculous fees to the WAFC (WA Football Commission)

Ziplock

Quote from: Ringo on January 16, 2014, 05:43:16 PM
Leigh has tweeted this:

"Rich clubs love the competitive advantage their wealth provides.they will never embrace equalization unless forced.power struggle looming !!"

Can see this being a little controversial but think he has a point when you consider clubs like North Melbourne, Melbourne and the like.

With their wealth the rich clubs can boast state of the Art training facilities and support which poorer clubs are unable to match.

he's completely right. I mean, like we can argue until we're blue in the face over whether or not there should be more equalisation between clubs, but that statement itself is completely true.

nrich102

Of course its true. The more money a club has, the more it can get more quality players. Look at Fitzroy...

quinny88

Quote from: nrich102 on January 16, 2014, 09:34:48 PM
Of course its true. The more money a club has, the more it can get more quality players. Look at Fitzroy...

There's still a salary cap..

Ringo

It is extremely hard for AFL teams in non traditional AFL States to gain the corporate sponsorship deals that are available to those in traditional AFL states.

As an example Brisbane have plans for a state of the Art Training centre and Training ovals but are struggling to get all the approvals due.

I hope something does happen to equalise the competition in relation to Football Departments. It is interesting you Melbourne Clubs squelled loud and hard over the concessions that Brisbane and Sydney got from the AFL in relation to the Salary cap due to being non traditional AFL states and cost of living and go home factors to the extent they have been removed for Brisbane and look like being removed for Sydney. What is the difference then in seeking equalisation of Football Departments so all teams are equal. I applaud any efforts to put this on an even keel.

quinny88

Quote from: Ringo on January 16, 2014, 11:05:56 PM
It is extremely hard for AFL teams in non traditional AFL States to gain the corporate sponsorship deals that are available to those in traditional AFL states.

As an example Brisbane have plans for a state of the Art Training centre and Training ovals but are struggling to get all the approvals due.

I hope something does happen to equalise the competition in relation to Football Departments. It is interesting you Melbourne Clubs squelled loud and hard over the concessions that Brisbane and Sydney got from the AFL in relation to the Salary cap due to being non traditional AFL states and cost of living and go home factors to the extent they have been removed for Brisbane and look like being removed for Sydney. What is the difference then in seeking equalisation of Football Departments so all teams are equal. I applaud any efforts to put this on an even keel.

But what do you propose they do Ringo? Should Richmond bulldoze our new facilities at punt road and go back to our dated equipment to make it fair on other clubs? Should collingwood move out of the westpac centre and into a lesser facility?
It's a ridiculous concept.
Maybe they could make a cap on the amount of coaches and staff each team is allowed at there club so that the wealthier clubs can't have a massive advantage that way but apart from that there's nothing they can do or should do for that matter. If clubs want to spend their money that they produce themselves from running a professional organisation then they should be allowed to spend whatever they like. They didn't fall into that position by accident. They built it themselves so good on them.

Vinny

But it's difficult in a state where footy doesn't dominate like it does in Victoria. But yeah there isn't much that can be done.

quinny88

And when you say it's hard for non traditional AFL states, really you're saying it's hard for Brisbane. There are only 4 teams in the league from non AFL states.
Sydney, who have played final after final for years on end and won the flag only 12 months ago so it's obviously no problem for them.
Gws, who have a state of the art facility and the AFL will front the bill for as long as they need it
Gold Coast, who also have a state of he art facility and the AFL will front the bill for
And then there's Brisbane who are struggling with it as they don't get the help those other clubs do. But would anyone bring it up if they were playing as well as Sydney?

Dont think it's as big of an issue as some make out. The great thing about our game is that there's a salary cap and a draft that rewards the lower teams. Anyone can beat anyone, there's always a surprise packet, teams go up and down every year. It's a very even and fair league. We don't need to take away from the hard work of the wealthier clubs to make it a few percent closer

Mailman the 2nd

Of course its not really fair, but it can't really change at all

quinny88

Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on January 17, 2014, 12:07:04 AM
Of course its not really fair, but it can't really change at all

It's not fair that it's 43 degrees and my next door neighbours have big bloody in ground swimming pool but I'm not gonna go tell them to fill it in because I can't afford one :P