410k - 470k Foward option

Started by Baggers2012, January 13, 2014, 01:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baggers2012

Just wanting to get some thoughts on the best 'breakout' high end midpricer. Personally, I think all of them just about have the potential to average 95+

Darling - Easy early draw, he bullies the bad teams & scores better when west coast win. More midfield time as well maybe? will surely improve
Pavlich - Proven superstar, I feel the days of him been a top end forward may be over.
Motlop - steady improver each year, again with a few more retirements down at the cattery he may spend more time in the middle?
Gray - my biggest man crush in the afl, the man's a machine! again, if he builds a better tank over the pre season he could lift his midfield time. still did quite well last year despite no pre season, could be really good if he has a good, solid pre season.
Zorko - Supposedly impressing Leppa, more midfield time looks likely
Gunstan - has a very good career average in Franklin's absence, better defenders will go to him though.
Parker - similar to my gray observation, if he had more time in the midfield he would average 100+, swans midfield is hard to break though!

Thoughts??

Ricochet

Have to include Chappy in that group, he'd be my pick of the bunch.

Expecting Darling to breakout this year and have a huge year. Parker will also improve by a bit. I think Gunstan and Motlop will stay around the same/improve slightly. Cannot see Zorko getting back to his consistent best with the small fwd role he does so well. Pavlich is a gun and should be fairly consistent next year but Chappy is a class above them all.

Rusty00

I'm not sure I can bring myself to pick Chappy again this year. Started with him as a bit of POD last year, he started off well, then he became a massive problem for me.

I actually like Motlop. Scored fairly well the back half of last season when he seemed to find a bit more consistency and you'd think he would go up the pecking order a bit at the Cats now.

auscoyote

Im tossing up between Lecras and Darling with their easy draw.

The_Captain

Why is everyone voting Pav? He is pretty old now. Just turned 31 didnt he? How many key forwards have average good at that age?

_wato

Ricochet

Quote from: noto07 on January 14, 2014, 05:01:17 PM
Why is everyone voting Pav? He is pretty old now. Just turned 31 didnt he? How many key forwards have average good at that age?
Nick Riewoldt  ;)

Pav had a terrible run with injuries last year and never recovered from it. This year he is looking pretty fit. If he gets through this January to Round 1 period he should definitely be considered

ubeaut

How many are an  absolute gun and 1 of the most underated players in the comp? 31 is not old. He won't get much mid-time to tire him out and scores better as a key forward in SC. He scored well when Freo were shower. He can even score well on 1 leg.

So with a full ps and a team that will make top4 again he is a bargain.

nrich102

The_Captain

Quote from: Ricochet on January 14, 2014, 05:08:32 PM
Nick Riewoldt  ;)

Pav had a terrible run with injuries last year and never recovered from it. This year he is looking pretty fit. If he gets through this January to Round 1 period he should definitely be considered

I knew someone would say that  :P. Wasnt roo only 29/30 but?? Haha.

I might consider Pav. But would you put him as a F3 or f4 only? Don't think id have the cash to make him an f4.

Baggers2012

Seriously strong consideration for Jack Darling, reckon he'll break out. Has always had the ability to score big, multiple 135+ scores in his short career. He is a bad team bully, and with the dogs, dees, and saints in his first three (two at subi), as well as gws before the bye (and only three trips away from subi) I think he could get off to a flyer.

Worst case: trade after 2 weeks if he's failing
Average scenario: scores well against the bad teams but still inconsistent....makes 100k and I straight swap for a premium
Best case: Gets off to a good start with an easy draw and is able to maintain his form...keeper.

Thoughts?

Baggers2012

nrich102

Quote from: Baggers2012 on January 14, 2014, 08:19:32 PM
Quote from: nrich102 on January 14, 2014, 05:47:09 PM
Get some Zork on your fork

How much midfield time do you expect?
Not really that much, but Leppa wants to lock the ball in the forward line, so should get some more points, and had 2nd year blues, so should increase his average.

ben_020285

32 actually..

Mat0369

Quote from: Ricochet on January 14, 2014, 05:08:32 PM

Nick Riewoldt  ;)

This is exactly what I was about to answer with.

Of the guys listed Pav is the only one with a great scoring history, but the other guys I would seriously be considering from that group would be Gray and Parker. Gray has an injury history which has hurt his scoring potential and makes him a risk so I would be inclined to take Parker over him. Parker seems to be following a similar path to Hanners in terms of showing flashes over the last two seasons but not being able to put it together week in week out. He is going to be the Jude Bolton replacement in the Sydney line up and the extended time up forward might hurt his scoring as will the other Sydney players taking points off him, but he won't get tagged or see the best small defender form an opposition team with all the guns in the Sydney midfield and Jetta perceived as the more dangerous player. I wouldn't be shocked if he averaged over 95 next season.