Main Menu

2014 Rucks

Started by Maggie May, January 13, 2014, 01:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maggie May

I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts/strategies on the Rucks this year.

I'm personally thinking of going for cheaper options like Mumford, Lobbe, Grundy, McIntosh or Longer who are under priced due to age, injury or sharing ruck duties, but who will have the number 1 ruck position for their respective sides. 

Given that premium rucks have a history of not being able to back up the following year (Cox being the exception) and money being a bit more tight with the increase in rookie prices while the total cap remains the same, my thought is get a cash cow/potential keeper here and spend the money elsewhere.

What combo is everyone thinking of doing this year and why?

Anubis

dawson simpson and nicnat

Baggers2012

NicNat & Lobbe. Considering McIntosh

Rusty00

I would really like to start with Goldy & NicNat but I think it leaves me too weak in other areas :-\

Ricochet

specky92

Goldy and NicNat at this stage, going with a weaker forward line but it depends on which forward midpricers are named round 1

Footyrulz

NicNat and Sandi for me. Too good value to refuse.

ubeaut

There is an opportunity to save cash in the ruck to spend on other lines. The backline will need more cash than usual due to lack of rookies and lots of genuine premium options. As u have said there are heaps of cheap options in the ruck - most with risk of course.

I'd love to have the nuts to pick Sandilands AND HMac as they are both capable of 90 - 110. Basically u get 2 rucks for not much more than a Goldstein or Minson.

However that may be too risky so prob end up with Sandilands and a more reliable and expensive option.

hawkers65

Sabretooth suggested to me as I was running H-Mac/Sandi combo to add Belly up fwd and rock a Brown/Thurlow in my rucks. The more I've thought about it the more I love it! This reduces the risky of H-Mac/Sandi considerably and gives you a player who has the potential to breakout in a big way in 2014. Something I didn't know is that Belly is only 24 and that is often around the time in which a ruckmen tends to breakout. He is a goal kicking, big marking ruckmen that collects possessions all around the ground and is a handy tap ruckmen who easily has the potential to go big next year. It may sound strange at first but really give it some thought!

Ringo

Do not forget you can economise using Thurlow or Brown and picking Dixon, Bellchambers or Hale in forward line so you can shore up a little weakness there without necessarily weakening forward line.

I am going with Lobbe and Sandilands myself.

The_Captain

Quote from: Ringo on January 13, 2014, 04:09:19 PM
Do not forget you can economise using Thurlow or Brown and picking Dixon, Bellchambers or Hale in forward line so you can shore up a little weakness there without necessarily weakening forward line.

Even if you see him lining with with Redden for round 1??

hawkers65

Hahahaha, got in first :P

GoLions

Currently going with Leuey and Sandi myself, really want Goldy though

ubeaut

Good point but I just can't pick any of those guys in the fwds. Maybe if Ryder,Nicholls or McEvoy got injured but otherwise I have no faith in them being good options just to back the ruck up.

ubeaut

Also, could all those picking Lobbe give reasons WHY and HOW he will be this years Minson?

Is it just because he is no.1 ruck and has had time to develop? Minson took YEARS to do what he did last year. I mean he was behind Hudson who was a warrior but hardly an elite ruck. Something/s must have just clicked for him. What makes people so sure Lobbe will "click" now?